• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Survey

The EA employee told us that before the inspection Graham. Though he did return on the sly to witness the problem.Yes i did see the pennywort removal,very effective.Sadly the golf course would not go for Buffalo wallowing in the bunkers and chasing people round the country park.Their is a £2 million grant to remove pennywort from the Colne starting in Febuary so we are crossing our fingers.

Thats Good News re Grant
Mark. It was tongue in cheek about the water buffalo!

I have asked the EA about the need for notifications re Water Co Inspections.
Not that I don't believe you.....just that I believe it to be a flawed procedure.
That I intend to challenge.

This survey was sent out to selected recipients which I would imagine have been selected to give an fixed sample size and demographic range with a geographic spread.

Whilst I appreciate we all want to help it could in fact skew the survey results if non selected recipients complete the survey.

The survey is being carried out by an agency external to the EA so there may be some surprised looks when there are more completed surveys than the number sent out.

There is a contact email address if any one would like to clarify.

I don't that's true as its open to anyone anglers and non angler(separate survey), this is from an email from my local fisheries chap.

"A message from Tom Sherwood. Please do take the survey and also forward on to any non-anglers as well. It’ll take less than 10 minutes of your time. If any of the questions raise any comments that can’t be covered by the answers or the free text boxes then please get in touch and I’ll pass your comments directly on to Tom."

Tom's email address is on the survey if anyone would like to pass comments direct to him and its on the ea facebook page.

Did anyone see BBC 11am this morning? Featured the pollution of the Thame and the Thames in 2016 by Thames Water, many 000's tonnes of untreated sewage pumped by TW, and they knew about it, allforprofit.com. they had a record 11m fine imposed, which is about two weeks profit!! Fish kill was huge, never mind the threat to public health, disgraceful.

Did anyone see BBC 11am this morning? Featured the pollution of the Thame and the Thames in 2016 by Thames Water, many 000's tonnes of untreated sewage pumped by TW, and they knew about it, allforprofit.com. they had a record 11m fine imposed, which is about two weeks profit!! Fish kill was huge, never mind the threat to public health, disgraceful.
They were fined £20 million in March 2017 I believe,a disgrace it is Neil.
However these fines used to range from tens of thousands up to 2 million for the same offences.
Off the back of the latest fine my local treatment works(Little Marlow) has had major improvements to cope with the extra demand,3/4 years after taking extra sewage from neighbouring areas!
Horse/door and bolted springs to mind!
This works has been releasing sewage since I’ve been fishing the Thames(about 30 years),and taking small fines because they are cheaper than dealing with the problem itself.
The latest fines are small compared to the profit they make,but they are increasing and being noticed by the company at last,it’s a start.
Cheers,John

Late 70s's a wonderful group of people called The Thames Salmon Trust in conjunction with Thames water/ the EA managed to establish a run of Salmon on the Thames, initial stocking, good monitoring, fish passes on all weirs, up as far as the Kennet. Shortly after, Salmon started appearing in the Kennet, which was a fantastic achievement by all concerned, the run had been established since around the early 80s, the fish passes early90's. however that year there were some thunderstorms, midsummer.
Thames water decided to discharge raw sewage into the river on two different occasions, a few weeks apart, that Summer, which pretty much killed off the run. Not really been a worthwhile pursuit since.
Up to that point it had cost more than a million pounds for every fish caught and access to locations where there was a reasonable possibility of getting one, on the weirs, was gradually denied. No doubt EA inspired. The EA love the Kudos of having a Salmon run and will gratefully receive 72 pounds a year from an angler, on pain of prosecution, to allow them to try for one but will do what they can to stop them actually catching one.
The EA are not the anglers friend.

I got a non reply, reply from the EA regarding Water Company inspections.
So have asked again.

Basically. Do the EA advise Water Co prior to Inspections.
As standard or /and when Investigating pollution reports.

Back