• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Close Season Consultation

see below

Last edited:

this is a guy caught recently stealing these fish this was the car he was driving
SADLY ! some people just dont realise whats going on and the close season will mean people like this have the freedom we need eyes and bodies on the banks 12 months of the year to protect our rivers its only going to get worse a lot worse !!!!

another point is as can be seen from the canals and lakes the angling pressure is spread out over 12 months now and you havent got the mad june july swamping
and this imaginary bankside vegetation being adversely affected dont happen either ! anglers need to be on the banks as much as possible

this is a guy caught recently stealing these fish this was the car he was driving
SADLY ! some people just dont realise whats going on and the close season will mean people like this have the freedom we need eyes and bodies on the banks 12 months of the year to protect our rivers its only going to get worse a lot worse !!!!

another point is as can be seen from the canals and lakes the angling pressure is spread out over 12 months now and you havent got the mad june july swamping
and this imaginary bankside vegetation being adversely affected dont happen either ! anglers need to be on the banks as much as possible
What was the outcome for said individual?

Hi men,

As iv said keep it , remove it , it does not really effect me , but if its to protect the fish then as said above last year there was an elongated spell where technically we could have restricted fishing . One day it will be removed , and 2 years later people will wonder what all the fuss is about . There are generations of anglers who have never known a close season , who over Easter , and a couple of May bank holidays can get out for long weekends , and we wonder why kids dont fish the rivers ?

Hatter

Daft thing is ,[If I recall correctly and I haven't checked ] during the open fishing season it is legal to catch and kill coarse fish subject to size limits

Daft thing is ,[If I recall correctly and I haven't checked ] during the open fishing season it is legal to catch and kill coarse fish subject to size limits

Indeed it is, although this only applies to certain scenarios. You could argue that changing this law would be a better move, however it’s not a right that’s often exercised in this country and many will say it opens a can of worms about catching fish period.

What about everyone else who walks along banks or uses rivers? Do they stop to allow the so called recovery of other bankside life? And has all this other wildlife and fauna been negatively affected by the much more heavily fished stillwaters? I think that's a very flawed argument David, with no basis in fact to back it up.

AND GAME ANGLERS

How many game anglers are there in England, compared to coarse anglers?
There were some drug dealers on the corner of the street where I live the other day and I thought to myself, what the government should do is legalise drugs so that those that do sell drugs will be licensed and earning revenue for the Treasury at the same time as making sure that unlicensed/illegal dealers cannot operate in the area, that would really solve the problem!

Certainly decriminalising drug use would sort out the crisis in our prisons. I can't ,however see drug dealers going self employed and dutifully paying their taxes and national insurance ! I can see a case for legalising marijuana , but as for class A drugs , I am not convinced , who would manage it ?

Precisely, Mike, is it not just a little bit ridiculous to suggest activities against the law (or byelaw in this case I think) are logically put an end to by making said activities legal?
Isn't it logical to require better policing in such cases, maybe even stiffer sentences to dissuade such activities?
I feel anyone who posits such an argument is, at worst, really just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of those who disagree with the position that people should just be allowed to fish year round - scraping the barrel in terms of trying to find a reason, at best!

In many seasons, pike are not offered any protection during spawning, yet no one seems to cite this as a reason for their decline ? The only threat to pike numbers in my area, has been pollution and poaching. The current closed season is like having tits on a bull, useless, it's not enforced (EA doesn't have the funds), and IMO should be scrapped, with clubs left to decide if they want to impose a temporary ban on angling. The only rivers which get any real angling pressure these days are barbel rivers, the numbers of which are in terminal decline. People fishing for a net of roach and dace etc are as rare as common sense in the White House. By the time the EA make a decision to change it, there won't be any point, because there won't be enough people left fishing the rivers anyway. How many teenagers have you seen on the rivers recently ? How many even under 30 ?

Precisely, Mike, is it not just a little bit ridiculous to suggest activities against the law (or byelaw in this case I think) are logically put an end to by making said activities legal?
Isn't it logical to require better policing in such cases, maybe even stiffer sentences to dissuade such activities?
I feel anyone who posits such an argument is, at worst, really just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of those who disagree with the position that people should just be allowed to fish year round - scraping the barrel in terms of trying to find a reason, at best!

The suggestion that year round angling could keep an eye on these anglers has more to do with them catching and killing the fish than for simply fishing for pleasure, so the drug dealing analogy isn't that strong. Also, there is no scraping the barrel to provide an argument for scrapping the close season, there are plenty of valid reasons without even mentioning current law breakers, which I agree isn't a strong argument at all. The strongest argument for change is if it's harmful to fish all year round then why was the close season lifted on canals and stillwaters?

.. why was the close season lifted on canals and stillwaters?

Does anyone know the answer to this? Why did they exclude rivers?
I'm guessing they had a very good reason at the time, I suspect it was due to river environment being a different kettle of fish to that of still waters and canals. Excuse the pun.
Maybe that same reason is why they're reluctant to change that now?

Hi men ,

Agreed Alex , and i can say that from a position that i dont fish rivers so have no axe to grind. For anyone to say that not having anglers on the bank does not put off poaching is not living in the real world , because i can 100% say that it helped on a couple of waters i fish. I often walked off a day only fishery knowing that people with dubious intent were still on it , with bailiffs struggling to police the rule , and then the close season was seal clubbing time . In fact now night fishing and year round fishing has been in place the bailiffs are more confident with those fishing and oftern checks for tickets etc into dark . Good enough reason to do away with it on rivers ?, perhaps not , but does the evidence from 1875 ish still hold true now , not in my eyes . I think river anglers are used to it , even look forward to it , but if you do i dont want to see you lot fishing 3 months on my stillwater or canals ;)

Hatter

Does anyone know the answer to this? Why did they exclude rivers?
I'm guessing they had a very good reason at the time, I suspect it was due to river environment being a different kettle of fish to that of still waters and canals. Excuse the pun.
Maybe that same reason is why they're reluctant to change that now?

I may be wrong, but i don't think canals and pig ponds have salmon.

I may be wrong, but i don't think canals and pig ponds have salmon.

I think it’s a quirky legal thing. You own a lake or canal as a body of water and the ground under it. A river, you can own the banks but the water and everything therein you cannot. In simple terms, fish from lakes and canals are property where as those in rivers are wildlife. Something along those lines.

Back