• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Close Season Consultation

“Along with the Angling Trust and the Institute of Fisheries Management, we set up a study group to examine the evidence around the close season on rivers. Although there is no conclusive evidence supporting a case to either retain or remove the close season, the group has collated considerable available information on the risks around fishing and the close season.”

They’ll probably keep it after wasting a lot more money and time.
The closed season we currently have doesn’t seem to mean much to the ‘anglers’I see fishing the Thames as and when they like.I gave up reporting it long ago.
Personally I’d like to see common sense applied,but that’s never going to happen,so alter the dates slightly or leave it as is.

"Consultation" means they decide what they want to do then pretend everyone had a say.

River Carp,tench,bream,roach,chub and barbel,leaves some out I know,there’s no ideal solution,probably best left alone

Last edited by a moderator:
"Consultation" means they decide what they want to do then pretend everyone had a say.
Your correct a consultation means nothing they already know what they are doing,has a London black cab driver I've filled in more consultations than I care to remember our Mickey Mouse regulator just bins them

For over 50 odd years I had been in favour of the close season
But now !!
the sooner its scrapped the better
1 we need more eyes on the banks now than ever before the level of people stealing predatory fish is now out of hand also Anglers are the people that spot and report pollution first
2 We all KNOW that fish prior to spawning and during spawning and for a few days after spawning have Zero interest in feeding anyway
3 We all know that the bloody fish seldom spawn in the close season period for the past few years
4 We now know that scrapping the close season hasnt had any ill effects on the lakes has it ?
no the real truth there is more benefits to scrapping it than keeping it IMHO
OH and please dont come out with the old Tosh about bankside vegetation having a chance to recover lol

Gerry.

1 Fish lost to people stealing them are miniscule in numbers compared to other issues re predation. However "anglers" or people will find it easy to remove fish when grouped for spawning.
Predation by other means will continue at current levels.
Many river sections only allow access during the current river season as well.
2. Fish do eat during spawning times.
3. Yes. Different species will spawn from Jan to July as a general rule.
The current law gives some protection. But takes a sensible middllish ground
4. In the majority of lakes now days fish are a simple commodity and can be re stocked as required. Hence many waters are stuffed full of carp.

The rivers in general need to rely on the natural eco system.

Gerry.

1 Fish lost to people stealing them are miniscule in numbers compared to other issues re predation. However "anglers" or people will find it easy to remove fish when grouped for spawning.
Predation by other means will continue at current levels.
Many river sections only allow access during the current river season as well.
2. Fish do eat during spawning times.
3. Yes. Different species will spawn from Jan to July as a general rule.
The current law gives some protection. But takes a sensible middllish ground
4. In the majority of lakes now days fish are a simple commodity and can be re stocked as required. Hence many waters are stuffed full of carp.

The rivers in general need to rely on the natural eco system.

your comment Many river sections only allow access during the current river season as well. is laughable the EU`s just see an empty bank climb over any fence put out their lines all along the empty banks and walk along spinning ? not sure where you are but the Thames have river Gypsies that use the Thames as free food
June 15th saw me on the Notts fed stretch at Clifton bridge while I waited for Midnight I watched 3 Polish blokes spinning on the opposite bank saw them dispatch 2 pike that went into their bags I spoke to a local and he said its a free for all in the close season as they know there are no anglers to chase them off they came back on all of the 3 days I was there I reported it every day sod all happened ( if the Anglers had not been here they would of been on our side of the river apparently)

Last edited:
I don't understand how it can be put forward that the actions of those who break the law should be cause to remove that law!
Leave it as it is as to change the dates is the start of a process to its complete removal?

May be I am lucky.
But every time I have phoned the EA and the local club regarding poaching, Action has been taken.

I always ask for a reference number.

Other times I have been happy to explain to offenders that they should leave before the police arrive.

Only last week I politely requested two anglers should depart from the clubs waters on the Wye.

Apart from the law. What about others stealing from you regarding your paid for club fees?

It's too easy to abdicate your responsibilities. This affects your fellow club members as well.

For over 50 odd years I had been in favour of the close season
But now !!
the sooner its scrapped the better
1 we need more eyes on the banks now than ever before the level of people stealing predatory fish is now out of hand also Anglers are the people that spot and report pollution first
2 We all KNOW that fish prior to spawning and during spawning and for a few days after spawning have Zero interest in feeding anyway
3 We all know that the bloody fish seldom spawn in the close season period for the past few years
4 We now know that scrapping the close season hasnt had any ill effects on the lakes has it ?
no the real truth there is more benefits to scrapping it than keeping it IMHO
OH and please dont come out with the old Tosh about bankside vegetation having a chance to recover lol

Gerry

Have exactly the same views as yourself, although not fished for 50 years but catching up lol. Your last point about bank side vegatation. In my view on my local waters the more it gets trampled and less time to recover the better. increases my chance of fishing the pegs as my club won’t be clearing the pegs

Back