• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

E.a doing there job :):):):)

I know a few guys who work for the EA, in industrial consents to discharge and illegal waste dumping, and it is tough for them. Numbers have been cut due to government cut backs and they have some ridiculous rules regarding transport where by the have to use public transport as much as possible to reduce their carbon footprint ( I jest not). So if they have to go to York from their offices in Stockton in takes around 3/4 hours using buses and train rather than an hour or so in the car, talk about a complete waste of some ones working day. River bailiffs are very costly as they are warranted in a similar manner to the police and need to be constantly retrained as changes in the law occur.
Personally I've never seen an EA officer when out fishing but I suppose they are out and about doing what needs to be done with the resources the have available. People have to appreciate our rod licence fee is just another form of taxation such as road tax and National Insurance, all sums gathered from these sources are not spent specifically on the roads and NHS so perhaps we are unrealistic to expect our rod licence fee to be spent exclusively on th EA.

as a club bailiff i work closely with the EA bailiffs and the local fisheries officer and it seems the problem is that the EA have cut the budgets and manpower so much that they cant be everywhere, here in this area the bailiffs have to cover from bedfordshire right up to the humber and there are only a handfull of warrented bailiffs in this area.
the problem with the prosecutions comes from much higher up the ladder in the EA who seem to try and find every little detail to not prosecute ? and also dont treat coarse fishing the same as game fishing.
they work on identifing trouble hotspots so if you have a lot of problems on your river then keep phoning it in to the EA hotline and it`ll be on there patrol route sooner or later, what annoys me is the people who say they`ve seen this or that but not botherd to report it.

Last edited:
I believe you Wayne honest i do ! :D because i had a similar experience, whilst building fishing platforms on the Thames, though i can't claim to beat your record as there were only 2 of them, but like you i was shocked - i nearly fell in ! :eek:
They asked me what i was building the platforms for, i said they are for fishing from, and are replacements for old ones that had become dangerous,...... 'Have you got an accomadation license' ? they asked, 'well no' i said, 'no one will be living on them, as i said they are just for fishing from :p, they went on to explain all about accomodation licences, haven't heard from them since !

Ian.

I believe you Wayne honest i do ! :D because i had a similar experience, whilst building fishing platforms on the Thames, though i can't claim to beat your record as there were only 2 of them, but like you i was shocked - i nearly fell in ! :eek:
They asked me what i was building the platforms for, i said they are for fishing from, and are replacements for old ones that had become dangerous,...... 'Have you got an accomadation license' ? they asked, 'well no' i said, 'no one will be living on them, as i said they are just for fishing from :p, they went on to explain all about accomodation licences, haven't heard from them since !

Ian.

At least they let you carry on Ian....so I guess you could say they were very accommodating :D

Cheers, Dave.

All EA officers are warrented, I know as I was one for a good few years. Its good they are out and about but still too thin on the ground to be effective. Still, it has to be said, fishing should hardly be top of the list of priorities, should it?

All EA officers are warrented, I know as I was one for a good few years. Its good they are out and about but still too thin on the ground to be effective. Still, it has to be said, fishing should hardly be top of the list of priorities, should it?

That is an important point Tony, and perhaps one we tend to forget at times.

Well said fella.

Cheers, Dave.

Back