• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Twistlock handle problem

Slightly digressing from the thread but normal for B.F.W I think.With the rivers so low I have struggled to get the net head into the water in some swims from a high bank.Decided to invest today in a longer handle after rectifying problems with the net.See post River Nidd on first day of season.
Told the person what I required and was shown a 4mtr landing net handle.I thought "that will do the job" untill told the price.98 pounds,98 pounds!!!!
Found one similar for £28.Guess which one I bought.Stay safe all.

lost one of mine and adapted a rubber end of the type you use on a walking stick, to be honest I thought it better than original.

I’ve got one of those wine saver tops taped on mine at the minute 😂

IMG_4810.jpeg

Had the drennan for 5/6 years now, ideal for me. Most impressive was when I forgot to put it in the car after fishing,. Drove home then realised what had happened so returned. I had run over it unknowingly and thinking it would be in bits, but it was completely unharmed. Impressed! Ps yes my end cap fell off once but I found it which was fortunate as I had never heard of Mr Issac's then. Reading this thread is what makes the forum worthwhile!

I used my PowerStretch landing net handle for (shhhhhh!) carp yesterday. It was pi**ing down and water had obviously seeped into the telescopic joint. That is no problem but when I collapsed it, in the pouring rain, the soft'ish end bung shot out and ended up in the field behind, lost forever. It was like a bicycle pump, and the bung like a cork shot from a toy gun (if you are old enough to remember those :D)

I shall have to look araound in my bits boxes, I'm sure I had another (think it was a pole bung of some sort)

I used my PowerStretch landing net handle for (shhhhhh!) carp yesterday. It was pi**ing down and water had obviously seeped into the telescopic joint. That is no problem but when I collapsed it, in the pouring rain, the soft'ish end bung shot out and ended up in the field behind, lost forever. It was like a bicycle pump, and the bung like a cork shot from a toy gun (if you are old enough to remember those :D)

I shall have to look araound in my bits boxes, I'm sure I had another (think it was a pole bung of some sort)
You could always send me a picture Paul……you never know I might have something 😉

I clean mine with a length of string dropped through with the help a a bit of lead tied on one end and a piece of jay cloth tied on the other , pull it through a couple of times takes all the grit etc out no prob but don't put oil or anything down as could stop the little rubber thingy from gripping.

I clean mine with a length of string dropped through with the help a a bit of lead tied on one end and a piece of jay cloth tied on the other , pull it through a couple of times takes all the grit etc out no prob but don't put oil or anything down as could stop the little rubber thingy from gripping.
It’s actually recommended by drennan that a squirt of WD40 down there does it the world of good.
I thought it would potentially slip too but it actually grips really hard still

It’s actually recommended by drennan that a squirt of WD40 down there does it the world of good.
I thought it would potentially slip too but it actually grips really hard still
Wouldn't myself Richard but I do put a tiny bit of copper slip on the thread of the bung thingy but I suppose you could put WD down to clean but personally I would make sure I got it all out with the Jay cloth method. 👍

Wouldn't myself Richard but I do put a tiny bit of copper slip on the thread of the bung thingy but I suppose you could put WD down to clean but personally I would make sure I got it all out with the Jay cloth method. 👍
Yes copper grease on that thread is a fantastic thing to do. It will definitely repel water and reduce the effects of corrosion.
Why or why it couldn’t be 304 I’ll never know but that’s the way of the world. Build it to break.
Entirely up to you Paul but honestly a squirt of wd in there and it slides in and out like a …………. Well you get my point.
It locks up hard too. 👍🏻

Yes copper grease on that thread is a fantastic thing to do. It will definitely repel water and reduce the effects of corrosion.
Why or why it couldn’t be 304 I’ll never know but that’s the way of the world. Build it to break.
Entirely up to you Paul but honestly a squirt of wd in there and it slides in and out like a …………. Well you get my point.
It locks up hard too. 👍🏻
I have replied to you Richard but maybe as a private message by mistake, plenty of fresh air up there lol 👍

Glad to hear Kevin has got sorted. I had a similar situation a few years back so I got on the phone and Drennan sent me the cap and a spare bush in the post the same day. I don't know what medium you used to contact Drennan but I think most of us are guilty of relying on email too much.

Back