• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Twist Lock Pole

I've had my drennan for 3 years now, now and again i take it apart completely and give it a good clean, i push small pieces of rag through the outer section until they come out the other end clean ;) clean the widget and thread and as previously mentioned a tiny drop of lube on the thread. (very important not to get oil on/in the pole)
About six months ago i did have a problem with it locking intermittently but a quick call to drennan and a replacement widget was with me in a couple of days, working like a new one again.
Hopefully ive got a fantastic pole that will last for a few more years to come :)

More years ago than i care to remember i had an Aluminium telescopic handle made up by a guy who used to work in the aero industry, i still use it, its dead rigid, not too heavy and its never bent/jammed/failed to lock, its made of two aluminiun tubes a locking collar and a brass locking screw, nice and simple. It really mystifies me why a tackle company can't get their act together and make something similar :rolleyes: maybe someone like Kalstan could be persuaded to do one ?

That's the one I have got Simon, passed to me from an Uncle, has a very fetching rubber knob too:)

That's the one I have got Simon, passed to me from an Uncle, has a very fetching rubber knob too:)

If its the same one Neil its a brownish anodised finish ? i had him do an optional wading spike under that rubber knob ;) Forget his name now but i'm sure he lived in the South West somewhere,Yeovil rings a bell, he made banksticks as well i think, proper good stuff.

I really can't get my head round people moaning about the Drennan. The nature of it means that there is a part that will wear. If you don't look after it a bit or you treat it harshly, it'll fail more quickly. If you really want a landing net handle that is totally immune to wear, get a solid fixed length one.

I'm afraid that I see it as a bit like driving your car around and then moaning that your tyres are wearing. It really is a non-issue.

Really? Well thanks for that Chris, sound advice all round, and the Tyre tip a real bonus :rolleyes:

If its the same one Neil its a brownish anodised finish ? i had him do an optional wading spike under that rubber knob ;) Forget his name now but i'm sure he lived in the South West somewhere,Yeovil rings a bell, he made banksticks as well i think, proper good stuff.

Could be the same, Uncle Doug lived in Bristol and match fished for the Post Office :)
The finish is 'ally; but the knurled knob is awesome :), there is a blue line to indicate the length the handle can be extended.

Not at all tackle tarty though :D

Really? Well thanks for that Chris, sound advice all round, and the Tyre tip a real bonus :rolleyes:

Neil,
feel free to be as sarcy as you like. It just looks like you've either got a grudge against Drennan, you're heavy handed or you don't actually have one of the Drennan poles.

Neil,
feel free to be as sarcy as you like. It just looks like you've either got a grudge against Drennan, you're heavy handed or you don't actually have one of the Drennan poles.

Don't be daft Chris, I love Drennan stuff, and I do look after my gear, so not heavy handed at all.
I actually do need a good pole I have three various including a tele carbon, but would like Drennan to sort this out before I shell out, like I said it is a real problem, and not just wear and tear.

Don't be daft Chris, I love Drennan stuff, and I do look after my gear, so not heavy handed at all.
I actually do need a good pole I have three various including a tele carbon, but would like Drennan to sort this out before I shell out, like I said it is a real problem, and not just wear and tear.

When I was a bit brassed off when I knackered mine after six month I'd have agreed. However, two years on I now know it's a non-issue and it was my fault. I can't stress it enough, I can acknowledge that it isn't perfect but I can also acknowledge that its failure was down to me. Far too many people can't seem to accept that they might just be at fault. If they are the only ones you'll listen to, you deny yourself what still comes down as the best of its type on the market, IMO of course, and, as I've said previously, I have the Gardner to compare it to directly.

If you love Drennan stuff and you aren't heavy handed, you aren't going to have any problems.

What a nauseating reply, however I do stand by what I say to have to go through what you prescribe to get the thing to work is utter tosh. Drennan have a problem they should deal with it, and at c.£45 a piece we deserve better.
In effect your advice' will make any guarantee null and void, beware.

Neil,

Why do you think the advice I gave would invalidate any warranty?

My advice would be to visit the match section of your tackle shop and get a three piece telescopic one.
The graphics might not be to your taste but it won't cost you the earth, it won't let you down and you won't spend all the next day after a fishing trip fiddling with it.

im no expert , but the main problem seems to be over tightening , this leads to the thread on the inside of the widjet stripping

surely the problem is the have the widjet made with a brass/metal thread ??

im no expert , but the main problem seems to be over tightening , this leads to the thread on the inside of the widjet stripping

surely the problem is the have the widjet made with a brass/metal thread ??

It wouldn't expand to lock if it were.

Last edited:
My advice would be to visit the match section of your tackle shop and get a three piece telescopic one.
The graphics might not be to your taste but it won't cost you the earth, it won't let you down and you won't spend all the next day after a fishing trip fiddling with it.

That's what I have done Ade, got a Dinsmore :cool: the gaudy graphics were sorted with some gaffer tape

Well after a year of use, the head of my twistlok just cracked in two places and the end popped out, whilst in use on a river. Do I have any options, or is it give up and buy a new one

I showed my local tackle shop and they contacted Drennan who sent me a replacement for free and quick too. Not had a problem since. Not ideal but it is a really good pole in my view.

the thread in the widget stripped after a few years use on my mates pole,so i took it to work and recovered the thread with an "helicoil".
jods a goodun :D and works perfectly well just like new for the past 18 months or so.
definatly overtightening is the problem,it only needs a nip up and its fine, no need for a bully beef twist.......;)

even with a tapered thread ?

The thread going into the widget is tapered to produce the expansion. If the brass thread on the widget were solid, it would either not expand or it would break. However, looks like Clive has the answer.

it would with a split in it to allow it to expand......:rolleyes:

Yep, if it were split four ways it might suffice. How would you bond the collar to the plastic and how much more would you pay for the end product? I'm sure it's not beyond possibility. I reckon it might be beyond economic sense though. Far easier and cheaper to supply spares in plastic.

However, if the thread on the collar was unstrippable, how long would it be before people tried screwing it up so tight that they cracked the outer wall of the carbon tube?

Last edited:
Back