• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Doubles?

Phil Smith

Having sat through two blizzards yesterday I am sitting at the pc browsing nothing. Just a thought for those historians out there with a good book collection I pose the question, " when did double figure fish first get the title of a double?"

Let's see who can get the earliest reference.

Was that you sat 200yds up from me then in the 2 blizzards I sat through on the Seacourt stream...I could just make out another angler then he dissapeared!

Doubles, it's a word other anglers seem to use...I havent experienced one for so long myself I forgot what it means

Cheers
Jason

Gotta be something to do with Salmon, can't believe that individual coarse fish would have been weighed years back.................

Matt Hayes also claimed to come up with the 'time bomb' but did he? Surely the term was around before 1985, I'm sure I read it used in much earlier literature.

Conrad

Gotta be something to do with Salmon, can't believe that individual coarse fish would have been weighed years back.................

I have a book transcript of Thames & Lea fishing from the 1800's which quotes individually weighed fish. Surprising, eh?

How about perhaps borrowing the term from Darts in the late 70's, Phil?

I'll let you know when it's time to make that blood sacrifice and make your way down to us? :D

I haven't had a 2010 Double yet, that's what i am thinking of.....

Am I missing something here? Surely the term 'double' has been around for as long as people have been catching 'double figure' fish, in any branch of fishing?

Am I missing something here? Surely the term 'double' has been around for as long as people have been catching 'double figure' fish, in any branch of fishing?

Reading 'The Fighting Barbel' there is no mention of the term - anglers refered directly to the weight not the general term we tend to use.

Rhys has probably hit the nail on the head but my earliest meeting with the term "double" was in the early 70's when Bob Morris became the first angler in the UK to get 100 double figure Carp in a season...A guy called Gerry Savage who wrote several articles about special carp baits [cat food, sardine paste and the like] long before the Fred Wilton HNV bait revelations. Gerry was always on about the number of "doubles" he had caught....Anybody that started their Carp Fishing exploits in the late 60's like me will remember that was our earliest measure of success..."20's" were as rare as rocking horse pooh !!

Last edited:
Remember it well Bill. At about the same time there was a picture of Gerry published with a carp caught during a snow storm. 'We' all started serious winter carp fishing then with surprising results. They could be caught although tactics had to change a bit.
I'm sure you will also remember the picture Phil. Might have been in 'Angling'
Bookwise haven't found anything way back. Going forward now from J W Martin 1906.

Keep well

Mike

Hi men ,

Def pre- 70,s . I can remember stopping at Marlborough pool in 73 , and talking to people catching doubles .

Hatter

Obviously I am missing something!
Never considered it a term that's not been in use really, something I've always heard. But then I'm nowhere near as old as you lot.:D

Can anyone tell me which waters that North Oxford control can be fished by Northampton Nene members? Directions would also be appreciated I amtravelling from Brentwood. But having read the post,s I think I need my brains tested???? Thanks in advance.

flicking through pages of Walkers pitch circa 1959,page 83 Behavior of fish,walker says,I know maggots have accounted for some big bream,but
nearly,if not quite all,the "Double- figure" fish on record fell to worms or paste.

Howard

Back