• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Don't what ever you do

Nic Costar

look at the weather forecast for the next 5 days :eek::eek: as per normal come the end of the river season the temperatures across the country decide to go up and looks to be staying up all week :eek::rolleyes: those barbel will be feeding like mad now !

It's always the same :( ah well only another 3 months :(:(

Thats a good enough reason to rid ourselves of this archaic closed reason.

On the other hand you could be, say, a weather-watching barbel and are thinking of saying to the oh-so curvy lady who lives under the willow on the bend " 'ello, gorgeous. Fancy a bit of gravel-shifting...?".

Gives me a chance to try out the lovely #6 Orvis "Rocky Mountain" very generously donated by my elder brother and try some fluff chucking. I may take the youngest lad in search of tench once it warms up a bit more on a club lake. Lastly I'll reflect on a disappointing barbel season, plan for the 16th June and wait for the family holiday on the banks of the Wye with a mile of private fishing.

Totally agree there David, i dont want it stopped only changed, either self imposed or shortened, within reason.

your not, but not got rid of, just moved and shortened.

Trouble is David, once the close season is messed about with ie shorten then sometime in the future someone will say well you have done this or that already why not just remove it completely :rolleyes:

there is always going to be people that want it removed, now and at anytime regardless on whenever the closed season starts or finishes.

I agree , moved and shortened . I will write a letter to the minister for the environment later and see if i get a reply ! If we post a petition thread on BFW i wonder how many signitures we would get ?

The only issue i can see is that with the weather being as it is (unpredictable that is) there is no guarantee just when the fish are going to spawn regardless of species.

Saying that, aren't Pike one of the first fish to spawn and the traditional Pike season allows you to fish for them during this period so seems to be double standards to me.

I actually like the close season as it allows me to fish for something else, species i quite often neglect.

Trevor

Hi Trevor , the weather is just a excuse ! the truth is that fish will spawn up to three times a year , there will never be a perfect or ideal situation , therefore we as a body of anglers should ask for a compromise .

Wasn't aware of that James if that is the case. Not doubting you as you seem to know what you're talking about, just suprised i've not heard that before now.

Trevor

This rule was introduced to protect fish stocks at a time when people fished for the table and it's high time it was repealed.
These days the only people who fish for the table and are likely to remove spawning fish are those who come from a culture where catch and release is still the norm; and they will be out there doing it anyway; the lack of law abiding anglers on the bank will only make life easier for them.

Yesterday I was catching bream on a river and on Wednesday I will be fishing for bream on a lake......What's the difference? The simple answer is none....... Imo that article by Paul Garner is spot on, nobody else who uses our rivers and their banks gives a hoot about a close season and it's time we saw it for what it is, an outdated archaic rule which instead of protecting fish as it was intended to do actually makes it easier for the lawless minority to take advantage of the lack of anglers on the bank to remove our precious stocks.

Last edited:
Back