• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Don`t just post the catches!!

Neil, my blog has many failures just for you. In fact there's probably one or three too many failures for my liking but that's fishing.

TBH, people are motivated by different things. For me it's never been about catching the biggest fish in the river and getting the subsequent pat on the back from strangers. I go fishing to enjoy it and and sometimes I'm lucky enough to catch a decent fish although nothing to make people too jealous. As for blogging, again everyone will have their own motivation, mine is writing and fishing gives me something to write about.

As a response to OP, I do feel the reports page is v quiet these days. The Warks Avon thread for example would suggest there's only about 4 people that fish it.

I do feel like I'd be clogging up the board if I reported everytime I went fishing.Any way I off dangling in a bit,I might report back,I may not :)
Stuart, that's what the river reports section is for, you won't be clogging anything up. And there are plenty of people who will appreciate your reports.

The bits of the Severn I'm fishing this season are a bit secret squirrel and have publicity bans. With luck I should be able to do some short sessions back on some local waters in the new season, if I do I will report, lets get the Severn thread back as it used to be.

Yes, I have fished today, and, yes I have blanked.

I would like to dedicate this post to Dog Walkers, Eastern Europeans, and the Non Angling British Public, but not to the EA.

Took the bus out to the village of Lindfield and walked down to the river. The mud was grabbing at my boots and it was probably the hardest walk I have ever taken to go fishing. I lightly baited a few swims over a 150 yard stretch. On returning to my gear I rounded a bend and was confronted by 2 dogs, 1 of which was a ridgeback going ape poo. This fella meant business. As he started his attack, the owner, who was at least 200 yards away called the dog. the most incredible thing happened. The ridgeback brock of his attack, and returned to his owner. When was the last time you saw that happen. The owner put the ridgeback on a lead and walked over. The young lady, who spoke with an east European accent, apologised for her dog's behaviour, and explained that she was rehabilitating him, and he had been beaten by a previous owner. She gave me a chance to get to know the dog, who was a real sweetie when on a lead.

Back to the fishing. The river was fluctuating between right down and hardly flowing, and 2 feet up and raging through. The culprit was some gates just upstream from me. I think the EA, mindful of how easy it is to 'bag up' on the Barbel from the Sussex Ouse in February, with a bitterly North Easterly blowing, had introduced a 'degree of difficulty'. At 17:15 the light was going and I was in the swim I fancied most, and the river was dropping. 2 foot twitch, Barbel on, lost it.

The walk back to Lindfield was brutal. As I walked down the Highstreet, my bus passed me. I broke into a lurching trot, got within about 30 yards and off went the bus. Settled down at the stop. Car stopped and a member of the non fishing British public shouted 'where you going mate, saw you miss your bus'. Haywards Heath, but I am covered in mud', I replied. 'No problem'. He helped me load my gear, and took me home.

It happened just like that
Shaun of the blank.

After deciding to fish the W/Avon yesterday instead of the Lower Severn due to the high levels .
I am happy to report I blanked :rolleyes:
Its not the first time and no doubt it wont be the last .

Back