• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Don`t just post the catches!!

Shaun Nurse

Just to let you know I had a "Blank" yesterday on the Kennet, first of the season there! But I cant just post when I catch!!:) We thought the chances were great, but not to be. I will Blog about it when I can get up the enthusiasm!!:(:eek:

I blanked at work today.:)

Agreed Shaun! I made a post earlier this year about just reading "fished...caught" being a little repetitive. General location, tactics, times etc. makes for far more interesting reading and helps each other out. Most people are not in favour of sharing reaches fished though.

Reporting blanks is just as helpful too in my opinion.

Stephen

Well I often used to try and encourage people with reports.

Started out a few years ago with more detail

Now, just a bit of catch info. (true what you say)

Next. Like most it seems.........won't even bother from now on

Graham

No don`t stop at all! It`s always good to hear whatever the info.;) It`s just that people have suggested to me that I only post the good day`s, when in truth I try to post all the day`s and there have been plenty of harder ones this season, as well as a few treats!:)

I'd much rather see "fished..caught" than nothing at all. When I read catch reports, it inspires me to get out there. Blanking reports are a useful reminder than it's not just me that's blanking — and also useful to compare with the conditions. It can be frustrating going onto the Severn thread and seeing no reports ... not knowing whether than means that no-one is out or that they are fishing but not catching. There used to be quite a few regulars posting reports on almost a daily basis, but some of the reports have dried up (or in some cases driven away by the less pleasant members of the forum).

I always try to report, though I've not been on the bank as much this season for a variety of reasons.

River Reports

Back in the day, the river reports used to be extremely useful, but now it seems few post on them, and when they do there's little information about river levels, temperature etc. I'm going to be out a lot more this year so will make an effort to post on the river reports section - even the blanks.

Nick C

I do try, but you know how it is there are a few that think you might be 'biggin yourself up, and if I was to catch three 16 plus barbel on the bounce I reckon things could get very messy, not that I am ever likely too, and just to catch any Barbel is a bit of an event for me. And then I feel obliged to supply Scenes Of Crime evidence, just to back up what I catch, which as you know is not my main concern. Plus I still can't post up a picture :) or a link come to that.

But I love reading others triumphs and failures, especially the failures, as no one likes a Smartass, but what does make me feel a bit queazy is the aftermath of a good catch and the subsequent back slapping and disengenous congratulations, when all along I suspect most are thinking Lucky Effing Barsteward, and your a 'carp' angler to boot :p

And then theres the Bloggers, now these guys I really admire for having ego's as big as a planet, and some even have a modicum of angling skill it seems despite seeming to spend most of their time framing fantastic pictures of fat Barbel that make me feel completely inadequate and to top it all there is a word perfect write up and how the fat barbel(s) were caught giving me even more feelings of inferiority.

So all you Blankers...keep 'em coming, c/w with tackle rigs locations , temps weather the lot, so I / we can all feel smug and secure :)

I agree with Neil on this. There is absolutely nothing to be gained hearing about someone's fantastic day on the river. It's not in the least bit inspiring. It just brings pain, anguish and resentment. Much, much, better to hear about the blanks and general failures. That way, if you yourself blanked then its reassuring to know that it was down to the conditions and not your weedy angling skills. If, however, you caught when others blanked, then you will burst with pride and a real sense of superiority. And that does feel good. Well, apparently it does.

I do try, but you know how it is there are a few that think you might be 'biggin yourself up, and if I was to catch three 16 plus barbel on the bounce I reckon things could get very messy, not that I am ever likely too, and just to catch any Barbel is a bit of an event for me. And then I feel obliged to supply Scenes Of Crime evidence, just to back up what I catch, which as you know is not my main concern. Plus I still can't post up a picture :) or a link come to that.

But I love reading others triumphs and failures, especially the failures, as no one likes a Smartass, but what does make me feel a bit queazy is the aftermath of a good catch and the subsequent back slapping and disengenous congratulations, when all along I suspect most are thinking Lucky Effing Barsteward, and your a 'carp' angler to boot :p

And then theres the Bloggers, now these guys I really admire for having ego's as big as a planet, and some even have a modicum of angling skill it seems despite seeming to spend most of their time framing fantastic pictures of fat Barbel that make me feel completely inadequate and to top it all there is a word perfect write up and how the fat barbel(s) were caught giving me even more feelings of inferiority.

So all you Blankers...keep 'em coming, c/w with tackle rigs locations , temps weather the lot, so I / we can all feel smug and secure :)

Neil, I can't believe that you REALLY want my life story :D

Cheers, Dave.

My mate Paul and I fished the Colne near Denham yesterday.

The river was high AND coloured and we thought if we could find a spot out of the main flow we might get the odd fish, so we had a good look around and chose an area to fish.
The wind was a bit cool and conditions could be described as "chilly" but the river looked very picturesque and there was no chance of rain, in fact for a short time when the sun was out and its reflection on the water made trotting a pain I put out a tip rod and sat there in the warm rays, It was actually quite pleasant and for a short while all the problems of the world (and my small part in them) faded away to insignificance, peace and tranquillity took hold.
I watched a squirrel digging up its food store and delighted in the turquoise flash of a Kingfisher, the warmth from the sun triggered a few buzzers to hatch and dance behind a bush out of the breeze, proving to me that spring will eventually shake off the harshness of winter and that a river is always alive no matter how depressing February may seem.

I did not have a bite, Paul managed two, without result and as the light failed we finished off our tea and the last of our chocolate and made our way back to the car.

A total blank – did we enjoy it?
Yes, immensely, would we have gone, knowing the result in advance?
Well I think we probably would, will we do it again next week?

Absolutely!!

For me angling has never been about catching fish, it is nice, but not essential and you never know next time we might actually get a few bites.

Tight lines.

So in conclusion from posting every single detail to not posting at all,I will have peed somebody off.And on the internet aswell,who'd of thunk it.

Great write up Keith even if there are no catches to report, see you are mortal:)

Dave... Don't believe you for one minute :)

Joe and I had a look at the Lwr Severn this morning in preperation for a planned session tomorrow, just as well we did it was as high as I have seen it, and frankly not fishable.

On the way back dropped in on the Avon (not literally) and she was in a far better mood, and with some reports from the only angler we saw of a good couple of doubles for him recently, so that's it the Avon it is :p

I do feel like I'd be clogging up the board if I reported everytime I went fishing.Any way I off dangling in a bit,I might report back,I may not :)

Well I spent a few hours on the Kennet yesterday. It was cold but bright and the river at Aldermaston was high and in some places over the bank and into the fields. I went out just to have a bit of a practice with my new trotting rod and pin. Fished with worm and bread. Not a sniff, but it didn't matter. Tried the tip too, under the bank with work and cheese, nothing either.

Good this. Cathartic even. I might try and blank more often.

Thanks for posting Keith. Glad I have been blanking with the best of them of late!

Personally I do enjoying being out and the blanks do make the victories sweeter.

That said, to go fishing and repeatedly not catch fish can get a little demoralising.

Stephen

Back