• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Do pellets really go off?

Confidence is everything so I mostly bin them at the end of every season. I also typically buy in bulk each June from Hinders, with the logic being that with the amount of pellets Hinders turnover, they should constantly be getting fresh stocks in?

The one exception is their Mega betain 21mm pellets, which I've kept in the freezer for 3 years and they still appear to be ok.

oil pellets rancid?

Confidence is everything so I mostly bin them at the end of every season. I also typically buy in bulk each June from Hinders, with the logic being that with the amount of pellets Hinders turnover, they should constantly be getting fresh stocks in?

The one exception is their Mega betain 21mm pellets, which I've kept in the freezer for 3 years and they still appear to be ok.

I bought a stock of elips pellets and elips oil from Hinders ,I have kept the oil In the fridge opened the bottle of oil today and It smells like linseed oil to me does this indicate that It has gone rancid?

I bought a stock of elips pellets and elips oil from Hinders ,I have kept the oil In the fridge opened the bottle of oil today and It smells like linseed oil to me does this indicate that It has gone rancid?

Steve, the elips oil has always smelt like that to me, even a freshly opened bottle, so i,m guessing that,s its normal smell. :)

I use elips and have never thrown any away because they were not off, as someone has already said if they smell off they are off, if not they are not. Anyway John your too tight to throw them, if they smelt off you would have them on toast!!

What are you using now the shape's changed, if you don't mind my asking?

I had a 10kg bucket of T7 elips pellets that lasted about three seasons, and I didn't notice any ill effects from keeping them in my cellar. I still have a few left, and caught on them last week.

Mind you, if they smelled off in any way, I'd definitely consign them to the bin. Our barbel deserve the very best, after all. :)

I missed this thread first time around, and agree with previous posters regarding keeping pellets sealed, cool and dry.
Once opened to the air, even high oil pellets start to lose their vitamin and nutritional content, but the dodgey bit is if they are stored in a damp environment they can become contaminated with a toxic fungi .

I had a shifty on Gov. websites to find out more details, but they didn't elaborate.
Changing the subject, ... whilst looking I didn't realise that unless club/owner rules apply, someone in possession of a ea licence can take up to fifteen 8inch barbel, dace, chub, roach, perch etc.
I've always been aware that there has been a take limit on unregulated waters but never imagined it was that high. I mean,...fifteen 8" roach!!
Who ever thought that was substainable ?
No wonder we have trouble with poaching.
https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/fish-size-and-catch-limits
Not great if your club stretches of river are punctuated with the odd free stretch.

My best catcher is still some many years old teme severn lamprey pellets and you can rest assured ill be catching barbel on my stock of elips for years to come.

I just keep them in a box in the garage (shrugs shoulders).

I always crush mine up for groundbait at the end of a season. Regretting that now with eliptical shaped elips sadly no more.

Dave

About 10 years ago I brought a 3 kilo bucket of halibut pellets from a show. Ace baits I think they were. I didn't use that many and they got left forgotten about in the shed for 5 years before I noticed them. Started using them on the river and had no problem catching with them. Used them for a couple of years til I run out.
I guess it depends on where and how you keep them.

Still got a sack of original Elips pellets and still catching on them, must be over 10 years old and nothing wrong with them.

like steve i have several 5kg tubs of elips that are at least 6 years old, i keep them stored in a dark cool place, i find they are still ok but derragate any carefully if theres any sign of stickiness or oil leaking out of them

As long as there made with the same ingredients I cannot see that it makes any difference,I do file a flat edge on my hookers and glue em side to side rather than end to end which Is less hassle, but they just look better side to side.

Back