• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Do pellets really go off?

John Lee

Do high oil pellets really go off if kept for several months or is this a ploy by the bait manufacturers to get us to throw away our end of season stocks and buy some more in June ready for the new season? We often hear that the oil goes rancid but many people don't understand this especially as they continue to catch on pellets that are many months old.

Pellets don't go off, they only have a use by date when being fed to fish for human consumption.

Some high oil pellets may sweat oils but they still good for use.

i chucked about 3kg out yesterday after they went dusty and mouldy, they smelt rancid as well.

Yes and some go off faster than others.
Some contain antioxidants so tend to 'last' longer.
The last bulk bag of pellets - had a best by date 6 months after the manufacture date.
Having said that I store most pellets in the freezer and they have kept for years.
Keep 'em cool, sealed, away from moisture and light.
They are relatively cheap so I would buy 'fresh' if in doubt.
Cheers
Bob

i used 3 year old pellets last season & they were ok. keep them in a sealed container & as bob says cool & away from sunlight

They are relatively cheap so I would buy 'fresh' if in doubt.
Depends what you are using and what you call cheap. I like to use Elips pellets in the middle Severn, they cost £7.25 per 2kg bag, that's £22 for all 3 sizes plus £6 delivery from Hinders, £28 all in. And I still have half of last season's left over. I haven't decided whether to use them again this season or chuck £14 worth of pellets in the bin – which in the current climate will hurt. They are kept in a sealed tub in a darkened room, although I think it has a clear lid so light gets in.

i don't have room in the freezer, mine are kept in a dark cool place in a black sealed bucket, they still go after a while.

Obviously it's the oil in the pellets going rancid that is the problem, and any oil will go rancid eventually. The good thing is that it's easy to tell the difference...rancid is rancid, and affected pellets have a very distintive smell, unmistakeably different to the fresh smell.

For me, sell by dates mean nothing...if it smells good, it is good. I it smells rancid, dump it....simples :D

I am not clever enough or scientifically minded enough to understand why some things are improved by being allowed to effectively go off...often referred to as 'ageing', 'maturing', 'fermenting'....or whatever, depending on the product or process involved, while some things are deffo NOT improved by age...some to the extent of becoming toxic if left long enough. But I do know that pellets in which the oil has become rancid are one of the latter, the 'no longer safe for use' variety of baits.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Over the years I have bought loads of different pellets and on not one of them have I ever seen a use by date on them .
Why dont bait manufacturers put a sell by date on them or at the very least a use by time when the pack as been opened . Is it to much to ask :rolleyes:

Over the years I have bought loads of different pellets and on not one of them have I ever seen a use by date on them .
Why dont bait manufacturers put a sell by date on them or at the very least a use by time when the pack as been opened . Is it to much to ask :rolleyes:

The manufacturers do Joe, it's the unscrupulous repackagers that don't. If you buy a large sack of, for instance Skretting pellets, the 'use by' or manufacture date is clearly there...the fish farming industry the pellets are actually intended for would demand it.

However, the angling industry that buys them and repackages them in wildly over priced, silly little bags have a vested interest in NOT including that date. By the time the sacks from the manufacturer have been transported to the wholesaler, then to the buyers processing depot, stored, repackaged, stored again untill sold to shops, transported again and then stored in the shop untill final sale to you and I.....they are undoubtedly already long past their theoretical 'best before' date. Now they are not about to tell you that, are they?

Cheers, Dave.

Well said David.

I have used Skrettings marine (siluro) pellets up to 3 years old with no ill effects.

As others have said, if they don't smell right or going mouldy, bin 'em. otherwise they should be perfectly ok. My supply has almost doubled in price in the last 3 years or so.
I'm now paying £50 for a 25kilo sack. I wont be throwing many away for that price!
I won't be throwing many in either!!!

Regards,
Jeff

There you go - manufacturers label from 25kg sack of pellets.

label%20400.jpg

Cheers
Bob

There you go - manufacturers label from 25kg sack of pellets.

label%20400.jpg

Cheers
Bob

Having just looked at the label Bob , Its interesting to see the date of manufacturer is 2005-04-21 and the best before date is 2005-10-21
So I assume they are saying use within 6 months of the manufacture date and after that date should not be used .
So assuming that all pellets are the same , Would it be fair to say that all pellets to be on the safe side should be used with in 6 months of being purchased . Bearing in mind pellets bought in a tackle shop has no use by date on them .

It's a best before date and that's to cover the manufacturer against a variety of things. After all they have no control over storage conditions after they leave the factory. Similar to Supermarkets with their BBD - the contents will usually be/seem OK well after.
Best Before Dates are considered by many as being the 'Supermarkets Friend', resulting in the waste of perfectly OK stuff.

Some pellets contain antioxidants that will generally slow deterioration. Some pellets can keep for years, others not quite as long. To maximise storage times keep them cool, in the dark and in a sealed container. I used to seal my pellets up small amounts (0.5 to 1kg) in evacuated, heat sealed polythene tubing.

Cheers
Bob

I use elips and have never thrown any away because they were not off, as someone has already said if they smell off they are off, if not they are not. Anyway John your too tight to throw them, if they smelt off you would have them on toast!!

Thanks for your help, old mate. No problem for me, you can have all my old rancid pellets to replenish your stocks. They will help you to catch a chub or two next season because I know how much you love that species and how hard you find it to catch them.

Well said David.

I have used Skrettings marine (siluro) pellets up to 3 years old with no ill effects.

As others have said, if they don't smell right or going mouldy, bin 'em. otherwise they should be perfectly ok. My supply has almost doubled in price in the last 3 years or so.
I'm now paying £50 for a 25kilo sack. I wont be throwing many away for that price!
I won't be throwing many in either!!!

Regards,
Jeff

You wont be joining the 16 club with that attitude Jeff!!, see you on the banks in June mate....;)

Back