• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital Scales

Oh Bol.........
Mine are dead too. Brand new Duracell’s fitted in June (4 of the bloody things n all) 😡
Weighed just 4 fish. That’s a scale with an expensive drink problem😳
I’ll be doing the same Paul. Sod the memory and the zero point those batteries ain’t staying in it.

Doubt I will ever buy dial scales, let alone digital!

My old Shimano spring scales show me to within 1/4 lb if used carefully. If bragging about a fish I round down rather than be "optimistic", so hopefully not going to get called out on being way off.

Once you get past 5 pounds or so why should an ounce be important? It's the challenge of catching and, with barbel , the fight matters most!

Anything under 5lbs is just called "bait";) .....sorry, that's the lingering bit of sea angler in my psyche!

Cod about 4 lbs used as bait there!

I check my spring scales occasionally against a known weight, usually a paint can or similar weighed on kitchen scales. Not planning on claiming any records!

Oh Bol.........
Mine are dead too. Brand new Duracell’s fitted in June (4 of the bloody things n all) 😡
Weighed just 4 fish. That’s a scale with an expensive drink problem😳
I’ll be doing the same Paul. Sod the memory and the zero point those batteries ain’t staying in it.
What happened with my first ones was that one of the springs that retain a battery and also makes a connection came adrift. But it was still useable. Then I tried a repair but of course the spring wasn't solderable to the tab in the PCB. I made a new tab out of copper and crimped the spring to it. All was going well but when I soldered the tab to the PCB the track lifted. I used to work in electronics R&D and have decent soldering tools. Had I still been a working man I'd have made a new pcb using decent spec material and replaced the whole, but alas, I retired from "proper work" fifteen years ago :)

btw, the first set didn't drink batteries.

Mine been in a year.

Possibly pressed against something in box and switched on? They do normally turn of automatically if not pressed.

RH very good at replacements for problems IME. Would advise them now and see if a real problem.

Added. Just checked mine says batteries still full. Weight checked also and 100pc accurate.
Incidently my moidel number says 9025. Is that common number?

Last edited:
Bought a set of digital scales in mid July as i lost faith in my flyweights and a new sling as the Gardener was starting to fall apart after years of use - haven't caught a fish worth weighing since 😀

To my mind the biggest drawback of digital scales is you never quite know when they are going to go wrong . There must always be that nagging doubt , are the batteries on the way out ? Has damp got in to them ? Avons or RH dial scales for me , they are tough , accurate and don't take up that much room . The MK2 RH flyweights are appalling , I tried x2 new ones , they were both miles out , rubbish ...
I'm glad you mentioned this. My second set of flyweight have had me scratching my head in disbelief. Utter rubbish

I carry two head torches, but wouldn't carry two sets of scales.

But just a question for anyone. Is there a way of polishing scratches (not deep ones, just general usage ones) from the lens of a set of Avons? I might get mine back into useable condition.
I used t cut on mine, somebody suggested on here, came up well enough. I had imprints from a pouch and couldn't see the dial

Attachments

• 15985429944554038438684097136609.jpg
    15985429944554038438684097136609.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 211
I carry two head torches, but wouldn't carry two sets of scales.

But just a question for anyone. Is there a way of polishing scratches (not deep ones, just general usage ones) from the lens of a set of Avons? I might get mine back into useable condition.
Yeah, T-Cut, or some other cutting/polishing compound. Cif cream kitchen cleanser will probably do the job too :D

Car paintwork burnishing compound like T-Cut will help polish out scratches. Other abrasive polishes will also work (Brasso, Farecla)
Ask Clive Shipman he's the expert.

Cheers
Bob

I bought the UltraSport ones many moons ago after a recommendation on here.
They've been superb and never let me down - great scales 👌
Somewhat tattier than Bobs though ;)

I have Dial Avons, and a R.H wheel of fortune huge thing which would probably be best suited for weighing in the National Open. Because I strive for less bulk to carry, obsessively, dial Avons although the best are just too big, had the Lightweights, probably the worst bit of kit I have ever owned, open one up and see for your self!!! Weighing fish has become a rarity for me now, even if I do catch, not bothered unless it seems over a double Ha! I have a compact cheap set of 'shaky' scales in the bucket if I need to weigh, or if a record shaker Avons in the car, and just yell!!!😝

Same as you Neil. I generally don't bother weighing the fish if it is not at a 'threshold size'. A rest in the net and straight back in general. The carrying weight aspect of the Avons (or Reuben H's) doesn't bother me, as I consider an accurate, dependable set of scales as important as a quality hook. Scales to me personally are more important than the rod or reel used.

Back