• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital Scales

Ady Brayshaw

Senior Member & Supporter
I know this may be controversial and I'm all for embracing 'new' technology. But, digital scales. Why bother? They seem to me more hassle than they're worth and I see a lot of dubious weights of fish, claimed to have been weighed, using digital scales. I know that in the hands of experienced anglers that they may be fine (ish), but why not just invest in a good pair of conventional dial scales? Apologies in advance, as I can be a tad obsessive about the accurate weighing of specimen fish. I would go as far as banning digital scales from a national record fish claim.

But can you name me a decent, accurate, lightweight dial scales Ady. It’s alright if you are fishing out of a barrow then carrying a set of the large RH “Carp Fishers” scales is not a problem but for someone who just fishes with a rod, net, rucksack and a seat what options are there ?

I don’t see the problem with them personally. If they were known to be giving dicky weights then they simply wouldn’t sell.
it doesn’t matter what scale claims a record fish because as part of the claiming process they’d need to pass a validation.
my old london Avon’s let me down after nearly 30 years of ownership. I’m using digital Rubens now. I think they are great.

But can you name me a decent, accurate, lightweight dial scales Ady. It’s alright if you are fishing out of a barrow then carrying a set of the large RH “Carp Fishers” scales is not a problem but for someone who just fishes with a rod, net, rucksack and a seat what options are there ?

I've two sets Bill. Avon and Reubon Heaton dial scales. One set is kept in the car boot. I know the Reubons are bulky especially when wrapped in a light cloth inside a padded zip bag. These fit neatly in my carrying bag. I don't own one of those carp barrows and manage OK.

I don’t see the problem with them personally. If they were known to be giving dicky weights then they simply wouldn’t sell.
it doesn’t matter what scale claims a record fish because as part of the claiming process they’d need to pass a validation.
my old london Avon’s let me down after nearly 30 years of ownership. I’m using digital Rubens now. I think they are great.
I've read on quite a few threads on BFW Richard of their digital scales letting people down at the most inconvenient of times. The River Severn river report is the latest unfortunate incident. Batteries going flat, varying weights being recorded, Fox requiring a £35 recalibration fee for their product, moisture ingress into electronic circuitry. I'm sure diligent professional anglers will have no problem with digitals, and keep on top of their kit, but from reports back on the forums it seems they are an ongoing problem for many.

I see know realistic reason why a digital scale would be any more or any less accurate than a spring scale, other than the manufacturing process and quality. It’s illogical. If failures are occurring due to moisture ingress for example that’s simply a quality issue. If the batteries go flat, then spare batteries would be handy, that’s just human error, just like a head torch.

Personally I have a set of Reuben Heaton Fly weights, they aren’t the most consistent (apparently) but they’re suitable for me and my ambitions. My only Criticism if the spring dial types is the ease of reading, esp in the dark, I’m often misreading the ounces. For those quick, curiosity weighs a set of digitals would actually be ideal for me.

Hi Ady, I think you may be referring (at least partly) to my Severn post 22/7/20 where I took a couple of shots of barbel caught that day, of unknown weight due to scales' batteries being flat. Those batteries had been in those scales for at least 5 years, the scales had been on hundreds of fishing sessions, and around the world at least 10 times. Ok, so I've no idea what those fish weighed ... but I can't blame the scales. The scales weigh** to the nearest 0.1lb (i.e. 1.6oz) which is good enough for me.
** when they've got 'live' batteries in, that is. Silly old fool 😂

Iv had a set of fox digital scales for years that I won, although there spot on they don’t have an on and off switch so tend to eat batteries if you don’t take one of the batteries out. I only really use them for my carp fishing and a set of dial scales in my rucksack for barbel as they are smaller and lighter.

Iv had a set of fox digital scales for years that I won, although there spot on they don’t have an on and off switch so tend to eat batteries if you don’t take one of the batteries out. I only really use them for my carp fishing and a set of dial scales in my rucksack for barbel as they are smaller and lighter.
YES those scales are responsible for at least one record fish too !!

I sent my large 20 year old RH scales back to the makers had them serviced then purchased a set of Wychwood Mk2 T-Bar scales as I wanted something small and compact on occasions
I was interested in EXACTLY how accurate they were so set up my weighing tripod and using a 25 litre water container started adding small amounts of water to it all the way up to 40lb ish checking with the 2 sets of scales the digital Wychwood were reading the same as the RH dial scales
but of course in actual fact the digitals are more accurate as they can display fractions so no guessing if the needle is between the marks on a dial

Sadly its a fact there are lots and lots of lying bstds in fishing its not the scales they just say a 12lb fish is a 15 or 17 same as ALL anglers media whores are the worst for this

Attachments

• hold fish.jpg
    hold fish.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 534
I see know realistic reason why a digital scale would be any more or any less accurate than a spring scale, other than the manufacturing process and quality. It’s illogical. If failures are occurring due to moisture ingress for example that’s simply a quality issue. If the batteries go flat, then spare batteries would be handy, that’s just human error, just like a head torch.

Personally I have a set of Reuben Heaton Fly weights, they aren’t the most consistent (apparently) but they’re suitable for me and my ambitions. My only Criticism if the spring dial types is the ease of reading, esp in the dark, I’m often misreading the ounces. For those quick, curiosity weighs a set of digitals would actually be ideal for me.
You are one of the lucky ones Stephen. I’m told that early Flyweights were very good but my son and I both had a set of the later ones and they were c**p! Assigned to the plastic recycling !

For those interested, have a read of this thread:

I've read on quite a few threads on BFW Richard of their digital scales letting people down at the most inconvenient of times. The River Severn river report is the latest unfortunate incident. Batteries going flat, varying weights being recorded, Fox requiring a £35 recalibration fee for their product, moisture ingress into electronic circuitry. I'm sure diligent professional anglers will have no problem with digitals, and keep on top of their kit, but from reports back on the forums it seems they are an ongoing problem for many.
Sorry Ady but I cannot find any of those cases to be the fault of electronics.
they can all go wrong at inconvenient times. It happened to me on my first fish this season with My trusty Old school Avon’s Under reading.
batteries running out...... well yeah could happen in your head torch too just change or charge them.
River Severn report I take it your referring to a 10lb claimed chub? Is that Really the scales telling porkies?
now in reality digitals are more accurate. And have more benefits. They don’t bounce for a start. They find your settled weight then hold it.
they also give you an instant Numerical weight in a second. You ain’t counting Lines and waiting for the needle to settle there for your fish isn’t waiting long either.
don’t get me wrong I love the dial type scales too but I can’t find a single fault with digitals either.

I had a pair of Reuben Heaton flyweights, they were sureley the worst scales I ever had for accuracy, and the buiild and materials the scales were made from were IMO cheap, but the price, was not cheap, they were a real waste of money.

I bought them as my Avons ( to 40lbs) were accurate, but a bit bulky and heavy in their leather pouch , I should have just stuck with the Avons as they are accurate to about an ounce or so, which is more than good enough for me.

I was bought a set of small digital scales as a pressie a few years ago, Salter Brecknell 22, compact and light I was very pleased with them, they do have a couple of faults though, one is that they divide a pound into 100 units, as opposed to 16 oz, so I have had to make a small conversion chart, which sits in the back of their case, the second fault is that they are switched "ON" 24/7, although they dont seem to eat batteries , the third and potentially worst fault is that compared to the Avons, they are in fact only accurate to about 4 oz.

I Have a foolproof way of testing the accuracy of the scales, I have a large lump of "Pig Iron" and also a smaller lump of lead, I fashioned a permanent hanging strap for the pig Iron, and melted the lead and set a wire loop in it, I took them both to the local Post Office and had the weight of each object checked, they both have their weight endorsed on the sides .
Occasionally I check both the Avons and the Salter Brecknells against the different weights, the Avons are always consistent, the Salters sometimes vary by a couple of ounces or more .I think the Salter scales must have been discontinued ,as I cant seem to find any anywhere on line , not suprising really.

So I am back to my old faithful Avons...... although I would be willing to go the way of Digitals, if I could find a set that were small, lightweight and reasonably accurate and weighed in Pounds and ounces instead of pounds and hundredths.

David

I have tested my digital scales against known weights and they will do for me. Regards batteries; most scales these days draw a small current when they are switched off. To prevent battery drain and a dead set of scales at an inconvenient time I use a small piece of electrical tape placed between one of the three battery's terminal and the scale's terminal to isolate the circuit. When I need to use the scales I open the battery compartment, pull the tab of tape out and place it on top of the batteries before closing the lid. Then after fishing replace the tab between a battery terminal and scales terminal. Only takes a few seconds.

I had a pair of Reuben Heaton flyweights, they were sureley the worst scales I ever had for accuracy, and the buiild and materials the scales were made from were IMO cheap, but the price, was not cheap, they were a real waste of money.

I bought them as my Avons ( to 40lbs) were accurate, but a bit bulky and heavy in their leather pouch , I should have just stuck with the Avons as they are accurate to about an ounce or so, which is more than good enough for me.

I was bought a set of small digital scales as a pressie a few years ago, Salter Brecknell 22, compact and light I was very pleased with them, they do have a couple of faults though, one is that they divide a pound into 100 units, as opposed to 16 oz, so I have had to make a small conversion chart, which sits in the back of their case, the second fault is that they are switched "ON" 24/7, although they dont seem to eat batteries , the third and potentially worst fault is that compared to the Avons, they are in fact only accurate to about 4 oz.

I Have a foolproof way of testing the accuracy of the scales, I have a large lump of "Pig Iron" and also a smaller lump of lead, I fashioned a permanent hanging strap for the pig Iron, and melted the lead and set a wire loop in it, I took them both to the local Post Office and had the weight of each object checked, they both have their weight endorsed on the sides .
Occasionally I check both the Avons and the Salter Brecknells against the different weights, the Avons are always consistent, the Salters sometimes vary by a couple of ounces or more .I think the Salter scales must have been discontinued ,as I cant seem to find any anywhere on line , not suprising really.

So I am back to my old faithful Avons...... although I would be willing to go the way of Digitals, if I could find a set that were small, lightweight and reasonably accurate and weighed in Pounds and ounces instead of pounds and hundredths.

David

RH 9000.

The RH 7000 are brilliant the 9000 not so good, I have both and only use the 9000's when I am not expecting anything special or when getting rid of weight from bag. I check them regularly against RH dial scales and both are accurate. I tried a set of Fox digitals in a shop and weighed a heavy bag 3 times, there was 5oz difference in the weighings.

Sorry Ady but I cannot find any of those cases to be the fault of electronics.
they can all go wrong at inconvenient times. It happened to me on my first fish this season with My trusty Old school Avon’s Under reading.
batteries running out...... well yeah could happen in your head torch too just change or charge them.
River Severn report I take it your referring to a 10lb claimed chub? Is that Really the scales telling porkies?
now in reality digitals are more accurate. And have more benefits. They don’t bounce for a start. They find your settled weight then hold it.
they also give you an instant Numerical weight in a second. You ain’t counting Lines and waiting for the needle to settle there for your fish isn’t waiting long either.
don’t get me wrong I love the dial type scales too but I can’t find a single fault with digitals either.
Richard you're correct of course about the battery aspect of the digital scales reliability. I've never owned a digital set so I could be talking a load of nonsense. However, there are quite a few specific examples in this thread,albeit, of two particular products (salters and early flyweights) that support my preference for dial scales. I hadn't referred to the record chub claim, but Terry's misfortunate example (l know that was a human battery oversight oversight and not the scales) and another recently described example which I can't remember without searching the forum. Maybe I am just getting on a bit and resisting change 😖

Back