• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dedicated Chub Rod

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,
Whatnrods would you recommend as a Dedicated Chub rod , most fish about 3 lbs but 5lb-6lb
Are present ! ( RIVER TRENT ) 🤔
Was thinking Torrix 1.5

For a Trent chub rod I would want a 13'-14' feeder rod with the ability to cast out 120g. And handle 0.29mm mono.

Last edited:
MyC1 2 pics.jpg

How do you target Chub on the Trent unless its the upper river? I would have thought you would equally hook a Barbel using a feeder /lead set up.

How do you target Chub on the Trent unless its the upper river? I would have thought you would equally hook a Barbel using a feeder /lead set up.
You are always going to catch barbel whilst targeting chub and vice versa, but in terms of specifically targeting chub I'd fishing for them when its genuinely cold and would use shorter hooklength rigs with bait on the hook. Dink-dink's and inline maggot feeders with 2" hooklengths etc.

Upper no different to the Middle really.

I agree , but there's a number of pegs where I fish that produces some big Chub , which have taken a large Boilie !
These have been caught whilst Fishing For Barbel without success . I thought I might scale down the Rods and baits ,perhaps using Maggots , worms, and spam as well as cheese and see if I can attract the Chub. Of course a Barbel may turn up , who knows, just fancied something different 👍

I agree , but there's a number of pegs where I fish that produces some big Chub , which have taken a large Boilie !
These have been caught whilst Fishing For Barbel without success . I thought I might scale down the Rods and baits ,perhaps using Maggots , worms, and spam as well as cheese and see if I can attract the Chub. Of course a Barbel may turn up , who knows, just fancied something different 👍
Try wrapping cheese around a pellet or boilie, Chubtastic👍

Dead easy for me … I’d float fish for them. I wouldn’t bother with bottom baits on the Trent for chub at all.
Chub are much happier having their dinner bought to them and it’s a much more enjoyable way of catching them.
Take plenty of bait and fish it hard and you’ll empty the river in a good swim.

I'm still using a 1lb tc rod, but not often fishing more than a rod length out then it's on smaller rivers.
Sometimes put on the quiver section if it's very cold using bread, otherwise hold the line & give up a little slack at the first knock. Either my old Terry Eustace Avon or Tony Fordham quiver.
I do have a pair of these: https://www.fishingmagic.com/preston-innovations-carbonactive-12-6-feeder-rod/ which to be honest haven`t had a lot of use over the past few years, wouldn't suit heavy leads or long range, but as it says in the article they are very sensitive. With the lightest tip I think they would be ideal for roach.

Back