• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Decisions decisions

Chris Thomson

Hi , looking to retire my battered ss2600's and have narrowed my choice of replacement to eithe shimano 4000 oc or okuma aventa 5000 , they'll be going on to 11ft 1.75tc barbel seekers and wont be chucking big weights/feeders on trent/thames type rivers , any thoughts on preference , cost is irrelavent

Very happy with my 4000 OCs on a pair of 11ft Torrixs all though I know Okumas have a big following on here
Probably can’t go wrong with either I suspect

I can't comment on the Okuma's, but the 4000 OC's & D's are just superb imo. I've got 4000 D's on my torrix 11' 1.75's and an 4000 OC on my C2 12' 1.75. I can't imagine changing reels for years to come. Outstanding clutch, great line lay and they just feel smooth and well built. And I like the single handle. I don't notice any difference between the OC's and D's. If I was buying again in the future I'd go for the OC's.

Only slight criticism is the plastic line clip. I don't clip-up on rivers, but if I did it would annoy me. I've also found the XTFA spools work perfectly on the D's and OC's. They have proper line clips.

Last edited:
4000OC or stick with daiwa and go GS5000Br
Both are excellent reels and both pretty much identical in size and weight.

Does that mean your gonna sack the Okumas Bill ? ;)
Definitely not Derek, I like ‘em too much but if I can get decent spool clips on my 4000 OC’s it gives me options. The 6000 Pulzars are well and truly on my Trent Rods and have a pair on my very little used carp rods.

There's no better reel for barbelling than the 4000d / oc model. Imo
If you can find one, the Thunnus is a nice upgrade.
The clutch is unreal. It will still slip very smoothly when almost locked up solid. There’s a bearing built into the spool itself preventing all possibilities of sticking.

Back