• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa SS2600

Tony Carter

I'm thinking about switching from shimano to these reels, I have noticed that you can get them for £89.99 which seems pretty good.

Someone has offered me 2 second hand for £140 which I think is a bit much given the above, I was considering offering £120 for the pair second hand which seems fair?

If anyone has any experience of these reels could comment or recommend the shimano equivalent?

Thanks,

If you've never actually handled one, I suggest that you do before splashing out. Some people love them, some don't. To my mind, they aren't that well put together, they are also very dated. The fact that they require modification to give you any kind of quick drag puts a tin lid on it for me. I'd sooner have the cheapest modern Daiwa or Shimano Baitrunners than SS2600s.

I've had a pair of these from new.

Absolutely great reels for using to surface fish with for carp.

Shimano all day long for barbel etc though. There's no competition from my perspective.

what would be the shimano equivalent I have a 4000 but it slightly on the small size for medium size rivers - fine on the small ones ?

what would be the shimano equivalent I have a 4000 but it slightly on the small size for medium size rivers - fine on the small ones ?

I've had no problem with 4000 sized baitrunners on rivers up to and including the Trent. If I can do what's required with a 1.75lb test rod, a 4000 is just fine. Only when heavier rods come into play do the bigger reels get an airing.

I've had no problem with 4000 sized baitrunners on rivers up to and including the Trent. If I can do what's required with a 1.75lb test rod, a 4000 is just fine. Only when heavier rods come into play do the bigger reels get an airing.

that's a fair point Chris I will be on the thames next month which would be similar to the Trent

Iv used them for years, first on a floater rod for carp and for the past four years on my tidal trent rods, no probs what so ever, id happily use them on my lighter rods for the yorkshire rivers etc, the clutch is excellent and no probs with the non baitrunner quick clutch thingy.

What's your requirement for the reels?

I Jon I always feeder fish and would like a reel versatile enough to use on the Thames but also on medium sized rivers like the Dorset Stour and loddon.

Maybe i'm asking too much I have an Okuma which I detest and a shimano 4000, I have okuma big pits for carp fishing which are actually ok...

tony i origionally bought mine for bass fishing mate, they can handle bass so i am absolutely sure they,ll handle rivers and coarse fish mate, they are good value:)

Used them since last year on the Severn and love them. You can have them converted so they are free running

I've got x 3 2600 & 1 of the slightly smaller ss1600

2 of the 2600 have been qd 'd but to be honest I'm not a fan of it . I can understand the want for it though

They are a very powerful reel , good line lay and excellent clutch . The looks are a bit marmite , but I love the old retro look , I think they are also pretty bomb proof

I did have one, sold it, too blingy, but one thing I did notice it did seem to have a wobble. These reels were first manufacture in the 80's and disappeared , only to reappear to satisfy the retro lovers. They do have a following, but I think price for price Shimano wins.

They are good reels, a bit agricultural, lots of play and wobble, but for £120 for 2 reels they are good value. I kind of like the rugged reliability that they offer.

I prefer the Cardinal 55 reels to these but that's just me.

I have a pair of the160's and using them for both barbel and tench, i cannot fault them!

IMO, they are superb reels.

Been using SS2600 on the wye and Lower severn last couple of seasons after 20 odd years using variants of Shimano 5000 re. The clutches are superb on the Daiwa reels, much better than the Shimano clutches. Can't fault them at all, rugged and solid. Perfect for barbel.

Back