• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa ss2600 reel

I was after a couple of extra spools for mine, ordered from local tackle shop and Daiwa told them they will be back in stock in April....spools and reels

Don’t trust prices on line if they are advertised with the item out of stock. They do drop them on out of stock items so that you’ll have a look on the same website for an alternative. I can guarantee they’ll go up as soon as they become available in stock again.

you have very good taste in reels ... worth waiting for......

richard above wants to get rid of his shimano,s and replace them with ss2600 😂😂😂

I was after a couple of extra spools for mine, ordered from local tackle shop and Daiwa told them they will be back in stock in April....spools and reels
There’s a couple of spare spools on eBay Alan. No bids yet but 6 days to go.

There's a few on FB Marketplace but people selling know they're out of stock so are pushing the prices to near RRP levels . . .traditionally a used pair in good condition should be no more than £150 . . . .

Have you considered the Daiwa GS LTD 4000 instead . . ? Also difficult to get hold of at the moment but £80 RRP per reel and arguably a better (more modern components), less grindy version of the same reel . . .not as iconic though . .!

There’s a couple of spare spools on eBay Alan. No bids yet but 6 days to go.
Thanks....where possible I prefer to give my money to local tackle shop and already ordered some, £20 per spool & wouldn’t be surprised if the eBay ones go more than this

There's a few on FB Marketplace but people selling know they're out of stock so are pushing the prices to near RRP levels . . .traditionally a used pair in good condition should be no more than £150 . . . .

Have you considered the Daiwa GS LTD 4000 instead . . ? Also difficult to get hold of at the moment but £80 RRP per reel and arguably a better (more modern components), less grindy version of the same reel . . .not as iconic though . .!
Yes I noticed these Chris. Anyone used one and the 2600. How do they compare? Does anyone know if you can convert the 2600 to quick drag?

Yes I noticed these Chris. Anyone used one and the 2600. How do they compare? Does anyone know if you can convert the 2600 to quick drag?
A few places sell QD spool caps or conversion kits (South Custom Reels) IMO it spoiled the smoothness of the drag so I went back to normal drag. It was convenient yes but what makes the 2600 special is the smooth drag and micro adjustments ......just loosen of the normal drag and get into habit of controlling the spool with your fingers whilst tightening down

Hi Michael - see here for comparisons

Lots of places do QD conversion - Weston (https://westondevelopments.com/) have been going the longest are arguably the most reputable and also engineer spare spools for the 2600 including shallow ones. Think they may also do QD caps for the GS reels?

I think if you're going to use baitrunner-free reels for barbel then QD is the way to go, 4 clicks and your in freespool which is akin to using a baitrunner lever. Downside is definitely range of drag during a fight, and especially if you play fish off the clutch rather than backwind. For barbel where everything is arguably at close range (compared to carp fishing) and bites can be savage it can be a little disconcerting at first and if you're in anyway ham-fisted / have no experience with QD spools you could accidently overtighten / overloosen the drag very easily which can result in either bumped or lost fish . .!

Thanks Chris, I m getting muddled now. Might buy both lol. When I say QD, I don't mean the conversion caps/kit. Can you take the spring out like on some models?

There’s pros and cons to QD but you don’t loose the drags smoothness. you loose the fine adjustment. It makes no difference whatsoever to how smooth the spool actually spins when the clutch plates are released it just takes far less clicks to release them.
I’m a big fan of shimano’s fighting drag. It was a........”oh shit” ,,, half a twist and saved. The beauty of that system of course was you had a course adjustment within a fine adjustment range and it was clever.
i have shimano D’s and like the ss2600 the clutch is sensational. However they’ve got way too much adjustment. no body needs to turn a knob 5 full rotations to adjust a clutch from tight to loose.
that’s just crackers it would be vastly improved with half that tbh. On the other end of the scale you don’t want that amount of adjustment taken up in 1/4 of a turn either.
I think QD so long as it’s not too Q is a great thing. You’ve just got to know your reel that’s all. If your used to it and know what amount of turn has what effects then it’s a useful tool. They also save you big time in certain situations.
tighten up to pull for a break on a snag then forget you’ve tightened up and you’ll be hanging a medal round that reel when a fish of a lifetime is charging off and you’ve got 2 seconds to give it line!!!!!!

Back