• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Custom big river rods.

I spoke to Johnson Ross today and they are going to get back to me about ordering me a pair.

Just reluctant to incase I don't like them, although that does seem unlikely.
They’ll sell em if you don’t like them.
The 2.25 is nothing like your 11ft versions. The tip is a little stiffer and the action is more through. They may feel like they are not much more powerful than what you have already.
However they are capable.

I had one built as a trotting rod for small dead baits. After trying out a lot of blanks it was the 2.25 torrix I wanted for its light weight, stiff tip and through action. Perfect for putting out small roach and bream under a float and trotting the margins.

Had my pb river pike on that blank at 29lb

They’ll sell em if you don’t like them.
The 2.25 is nothing like your 11ft versions. The tip is a little stiffer and the action is more through. They may feel like they are not much more powerful than what you have already.
However they are capable.

I had one built as a trotting rod for small dead baits. After trying out a lot of blanks it was the 2.25 torrix I wanted for its light weight, stiff tip and through action. Perfect for putting out small roach and bream under a float and trotting the margins.

Had my pb river pike on that blank at 29lb
Thank you, as always, for your information.

Sort of weight would you say they could cast, actual cast not just lob out?

Thank you, as always, for your information.

Sort of weight would you say they could cast, actual cast not just lob out?
Comfortable cast 50 yards plus I’d say 3.5oz.
Another contender you should consider would be daiwa basia. 2.75.
They would make cracking tench and Thames barbel rods. Ignore the high test curve they are not pokers at all. I’d say they were under rated on the TC
Basia will put 4-5 oz out 60 plus yards no problem at all.

I was reading a comment of Dave Lumb's on P****'s P** (don't know if I can type the full name on another forum 🥸) and he said something along the lines of 2.25 will do you for everything you need. I don't have the experience to affirm or refute, but when a guy of his reputation says speaks up it's got to be worth a bob or two.
I've had a pair of Dave Lumbs C3's for some time now. Good rods for big rivers. They bend when playing with little if any hook pulls and cast decent sized leads. They're not long range casting rods, but there's not many circumstances, when I have the need to put a bait on the other side of the tidal Trent. They seem to be far more powerful than the stated 2.25 lb tc and could land any sized carp that swim in English waters.

Back