• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Culling illegally stocked predators ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried a barbel fisher with some fava beans and nice chianti once - filthy, even the neighbours' cats wouldn't touch it...

I hate to tell you this Steve but the last time that fish was caught it died.

It was however very tasty cooked in foil with lemon herbs and butter on the last weekend of the season.

Waste not want not is my motto.

I'd be interested to know when it was caught and died Ade, as I'm 100% confident that the same fish came out twice more, and from a very long was away from HC, during last season.

Steve

If You haven't got anthing constructive to say ... Like Me ! then all you have to do is - DON'T POST !!!!!! Which i have now :( but only to state the obvious :mad:

Ian.

Never lose your sense of humour, chaps. We all (I very much hope) carry it around with us in our off-bank lives, yet some become ounce-counting and everything-begrudging miseries and all sorts of other stuff just as soon as they hit somewhere fishy and online. You can catch monsters and still laugh and not grouse, resent and hate, you know...

Once I actually catch one I'll decide if they should be terminated.

No doubt I will be influenced by the angler that teaches/takes me out to catch one (yes, pretty strong one I would say....:D;):rolleyes: )

Nobody ever mentions the fact that Rainbow Trout and of course Carp are introduced species to the UK....too much moola involved in both species to organise a cull I'd imagine?

Paul

. I was catching big zander over 20 years ago but No one moan about the barbel fishing then.

Nobody ever mentions the fact that Rainbow Trout and of course Carp are introduced species to the UK....too much moola involved in both species to organise a cull I'd imagine?

Paul

Some of us work quietly behind the scenes on the project, Paul. Reason why the brother of a good mate of mine has a plot on the most productive allotments in southern England (36-inch cucumbers and the like....).

Every little helps, as I often tell him.

:D

Paul
Rainbow trout are not usually fished for as catch and release, stocked, caught, knocked on the head and into the smoker they go( they don't spawn in UK waters other than the Derbyshire Wye). Happy to do the same with carp myself, but looking at the prices for carp in B'ham fish market it might push day ticket prices up some what at our local ponds.

And in the Chess in the Chilterns (caught my first wild rainbow from the stream at Chorleywood at the age of nine, on fly) - when it had water in it.
trout farm at chenies, plenty of rainbows escaped into the chess, i had quite a few out, went back a few years latter and the wild browns had come back, no rainbows, even the graying returned, only small at the time, all caught from near chorleywood on red maggot and stick float.

It was the escapees from the old Chorleywood Trout Farm (in the early 20th Century) that went wild, eventually probably eating it sometime in the 1970s. Had a small, wild, fin-perfect, non-stocky spotted rainbow or three, miles and miles downstream from the Chess, in the Colne, though. I wonder.....

A couple of years ago whilst casting a Elk Hair Caddis at dace I had a small rainbow trout out of the Dearne near Darfield. I don't know of any trout lakes or rivers upstream or down that could have let that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back