• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

cormorants

someone asked how much they eat, apparently from what I read a few days ago they need 1lb of fish a day to survive, but do sometimes take more and just leave it. Still 1lb of fish a day is 365lb of fish a year, I guess that gets a lot more when they nest and have young.

Wonder how many small fish the dear ol kingfisher and heron gets through in a day ?

Saw a gang of cormorants other day from Yat rock,,your right the tree they roosted in was the only dead one around.
So their pooh ,from eating fish is maybe toxic,,harmful to aquatic life ??

And if you stick your head in the sand you won't see any cormorants whatsoever.

:D:D:D:D:D Well said that man. This spreading disease of playing devils advocate and being in denial about these things, just because it seems clever at the time to differ from the generally accepted facts.....is getting rather tedious :rolleyes:

Whatever they do, the 'head in the sand' types never let scientifically proven facts stand in the way of their spurious arguments :D

Cheers, Dave.

vierkormorane2.jpg

The other week |I easily saw over a hundred Cormorants flying over the Trent valley, some might say that the roach etc are coming back, yes they are. But in the grand scheme of roach shoals they are merely 10% of what they were in the 80s. I must also say that its not too often I see Cormorants hunting fish on the Trent, generally in the winter now, but again if the Roach and silver fish bloom, and they will, the Big C will be back in there droves.

Even if they are 'staged' there's no denying that these birds are coming inland in numbers. On the Lower Severn I can almost guarantee to see at least one every visit, as I did today. They’re only here for one thing :(

Hi Chaps

I posted that picture, and no I did not take it, nor did I see the actual birds when the image was taken.

The picture was taken in Holland and my friend that I stay with when I go over, was there when it was taken, he told me it was not "staged" and to be fair he has no reason to tell a fib!

Since he sent me the image I have done some "research" myself, I have found that Cormorants are not protected in any way, a carefully aimed round goes right through them, I have also "Unzipped" several dead cormorants that I have "happened upon" the contents of these birds was similar to those in the picture, the Lake where I "found" these birds had different species, but all the birds that I have "investigated" have contained Roach, Skimmers and Pike, one had a Tench inside and another had a Carp of about a pound and a half, yet another had 25 small Roach and one perch of about 6oz.

I could take a camera next time I "find" a dead Cormorant, but if I were to post it I suspect there would be someone who suggests that it is a "staged" image.

In my opinion any Cormorant seen over a 100yds from the sea should be "dealt with", I feel the same about any "alien" species that is threatening our indigenous aquatic populations:- Signals, Zebras, Killer Shrimps, Wells and Cormorants and before anyone gets clever I don't think Zander should be in the UK either.
I cannot do anything (at the moment) about Crays and Killer Shrimps, they are small and many, but I can do something to help get rid of the larger threats, I have a pick axe handle for some and I also have .22 reasons to help the Cormorants on their way.

Back