• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Codbelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Hugo Arnott

When my river is next in flood I am tempted to use a beachcaster with a large pit baitrunner, heavy mono and sea leads. I seem to remember a discussion some years ago on attaching a bell to the rod as a bite indicator.

Will make a change from touch ledgering with a cane rod and centrepin.

Could be SUCH FUN!

AS ever

Hugo

;)

Hugo , that would be a bell end indicator then ! Matron please , the screens .....:D

I find there are huge drawbacks to bell end indicators, even if you can get them for a snip. Couldn't get on with butt indicators either...had piles of trouble with them. If you really want retro, silver paper rings used to be all the rage...which is hardly surprising...I wouldn't be too happy with one of them either.

Cheers, Dave.

Bread bobbins are good, but on the TT a loaf of Warburtons is just about sufficient.

Mike, I am wondering if you followed the poll on the best description of me on the Dark Side?

[LINK REMOVED]

( With apologies to all )

David and John, I shall go for an organic wholemeal.

With the rain coming down as it is, might give it a try today.

AS ever

Hugo

Last edited:
Mike, I am wondering if you followed the poll on the best description of me on the Dark Side?

[LINK REMOVED]

AS ever

Hugo

Yes I think you should apologise, to remind us that that site did or does exist is beyond me, seems like the more immature can let off steam by allowing each other to use naughty words without fear of being admonished.
It is without wit and not at all funny at all, well that's my opinion I am sure you have your reasons :rolleyes:

[LINK REMOVED]

AS ever

Hugo

I wasn't aware of the comments on the gloomy side Hugo , but a poll in your name , what an honour ! One can only dream.....

Last edited:
Thank's Andy, hopefully I am no killjoy but that site is a blot on the fishing / barbel scene, and is food and drink to any anti types.
Get over yourself, this is 2012 not 1912, the Edwardian ideals of gentlemanly conduct died on Flanders fields.
Have you looked at any social networking sites recently? 'That site', as you call it, is playground stuff compared to some of the utter filth which is out there and has as much to do with barbel fishing as Anne Frank had to do with learning to play a drum kit .
I would also like you to show me one single example of cruelty or any other welfare issues relating to fish on 'that site' which was not posted with a tongue planted firmly in a cheek. The lads who post now and have posted in the past may be a bit crude and ladish but they are also some of the best anglers I have ever fished with and that includes quite a few of the self proclaimed 'experts' who always seem to have plenty to say. You might be surprised to find out just who some of them are behind those silly names, I'm pretty sure you will know and may even have fished with several of them.

Titus Aducas.

Adrian,

Well put sir!

Mike,

One could look at the poll in two ways....

"But be not afraid of greatness; some men are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Or

" An open and notorious liver."

But in my case....

" We ARNOTT worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under Thy table...."

Regards

Hugo

Get over yourself, this is 2012 not 1912, the Edwardian ideals of gentlemanly conduct died on Flanders fields.
Have you looked at any social networking sites recently? 'That site', as you call it, is playground stuff compared to some of the utter filth which is out there and has as much to do with barbel fishing as Anne Frank had to do with learning to play a drum kit .
I would also like you to show me one single example of cruelty or any other welfare issues relating to fish on 'that site' which was not posted with a tongue planted firmly in a cheek. The lads who post now and have posted in the past may be a bit crude and ladish but they are also some of the best anglers I have ever fished with and that includes quite a few of the self proclaimed 'experts' who always seem to have plenty to say. You might be surprised to find out just who some of them are behind those silly names, I'm pretty sure you will know and may even have fished with several of them.

Titus Aducas.
Here you go again shooting from the hip, however if you want to indulge in that place go ahead I won't miss you and your rants on here. As far as 'Gentlemently Conduct' being dead, well it looks like it has for you, don't include those that do try and retain some class.
Don't patronise me, I do know the 'names' that posted their, but you prefer them to be known as good anglers!! So what? That is your reasoning that they therefore should be exempt from any flack for the bizzare way they conduct themselves, and all under the guise of Angling?
Stand by every word I say, and if you don't like it take it up with Andy, he pulled it not me.... deep breath chap.

I have had the odd look at the site in question ,I suppose it's harmless fun , a little infantile at times, but I guess tongue in cheek . What I never understand is why don't they use their real names ?

Last edited:
I have had the odd look at the site in question ,I suppose it's harmless fun ,if a bit infantile . What I never understand is why don't they use their real names ?

Mike,

" All tricks are either knavish or childish."

or

" More childish valorous than manly wise.!

AS ever

Hugo Curgudgeon

Here you go again shooting from the hip, however if you want to indulge in that place go ahead I won't miss you and your rants on here. As far as 'Gentlemently Conduct' being dead, well it looks like it has for you, don't include those that do try and retain some class.
Don't patronise me, I do know the 'names' that posted their, but you prefer them to be known as good anglers!! So what? That is your reasoning that they therefore should be exempt from any flack for the bizzare way they conduct themselves, and all under the guise of Angling?
Stand by every word I say, and if you don't like it take it up with Andy, he pulled it not me.... deep breath chap.

Ever heard the saying 'Live and let live' Neil?

Whilst i am not a poster on that site, i know a bunch of the guys who post on there through one of my clubs i'm in. They are all top guys and if you actually knew them away from their site, which is just a bit of fun, they are a great advert for angling as they can't do enough to help others out. They have helped me out a lot.

They are top guys who i now consider to be friends. So for it to be labelled a classless "blot on the barbel scene" is a joke. It's their own site so why should they get flack? If people don't like it then don't look at it.

As Ade says it is very 'tongue in cheek', maybe some people don't get this, hence why they are having a moan on here. I actually think more well established members of certain other groups/organisations could learn a thing or two off the guys i know, including some of the keyboard warriors you get on this site.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back