• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cleaning cork handles

I use the green slightly abrasive sponges you get for pot cleaning in your kitchen with fairy liquid. They always come up a treat.

A light sanding with some fine grade emery paper brings em up like new, just wipe dust off with a damp cloth

Also use some tyre black on tired looking duplon ;)

Yes those sponges with some washing up liquid do seem to bring them up nicely....

I might have cleaned a few more than most lol.

Other people have said it but washing up sponge and fairy liquid. Apply leave to loosen the gloop and then flush several times with tap water. There are other ways involving special cleaners and solvents but quite honestly the detergent/water approach is usually very good and effective.
Fish don't like detergents so flush off well.
Scrubbing with brushes can damage the handle and also remove any filler present.
If the handle is rough then wet and dry paper can bring back the smoothness (say 600grit) and colour - but this removes cork so be careful.
Pit paste - for filling the naturally occurring pits and fissures found in cork - there are some concoctions out there that vary in effectiveness. I make my own.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Thanks to you all for replies, if it works on my handles it will work on any.

Maybe I should wear gloves when fishing to prevent the grime on the 2 Bob Gill supplied Harrisons, the grime spoils the appearance of these superb rods.

Understand where you are coming from Mike, but if you saw them you would understand why I need them cleaning.

After cleaning is it worth applying anything to the bare cork.????
Mine are spotless at the moment and wondering if ghee need some protection. .

After about 45 years I cleaned the corks on my Super Wizard. wish I had not bothered, I had a brim on it last September

Vim and a little water on a soft brush and allow to dry. Very fine sandpaper afterwards being careful not to create flat spots. Dont use wet and dry as it is silicon carbide and will leave a grey residue. Any imperfections can be filled before the sanding stage.

Back