• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

chub

Sounds like either a crude shotting pattern or you're letting the rig enter the water in a pile.

The pin is the start of a slippery slope, next you'll be buying bamboo sticks....:eek::D

the water im fishing is between 6-10ft and highly coloured, normally a slow walking pace, not sure on a float to use thats kind of what advice im asking for too.

cheers

If not fishing any distance a normal stick float will be fine. If you need to cast out any distance a stick float with a lignum base will cast a bit better.
If a swim is a bit turbulent a wire stemmed stick can be utilised.
If a swim is slow paced I work on the principle of a No 6 shot per foot of depth but if the swim is a bit more pacy a No 4 shot per foot of depth.

Not sure if this is right or wrong, just the way I tend to work.

Regards

Wazzy

My Mrs bought me a Barbel Catcher for A birthday present a couple of years ago, as a trotting reel it makes a great paperweight but it's great for catching barbel on the Teme and the Dove and I love using it for stalking carp in the margins.
I might get one of those clever ball bearing pins for a bit of grayling trotting...If I ever get out on the bank again.:(

Stuart / Lewis
I do not think it is the shot or the pattern but rather the way you lay the tackle on the water, it is important to lay the line gently or “feather” the line down.
I find the best way to do this is to lay the rod to one side in a graceful motion as the line come off the revolving spool of the centre pin, this ensures the “lay” of the tackle as it hits the surface.
Sorry this all sounds a bit strange and for sure it would be far easier to show you!

As for which float etc, it rather depends on wind direction and strength as well as depth and flow and of course how far you are casting, I tend to ask myself how much weight I would need to fish a particular swim and then choose the float accordingly.
As a rule of thumb if you are just starting out with a pin err on the heavier side rather than the lighter, heavier tackle will fish better and cast better, being heavier it will iron out many of your faults and even a heavier float will plunge under if it is shotted correctly.
There is nothing better than practice and after a few sessions you will be able to lighten up a bit and you will also start to do things automatically and thus fish without thinking about some of the aspects of line control as you will do them without realising that you are doing it.
So try a heavier float than you are currently using, get used to that and learn from the experience.

Steve
Having re-read my post I may give the impression that I don’t fish for fun, I do and I always enjoy my trips no matter which species I fish for.
I am exceptionally lucky in that the fishing club I am a member of has several waters that contain some very big Chub, I love to fish these waters and I prefer to fish for the bigger fish, I don’t refuse smaller Chub if they come along but I would rather fish somewhere I know has better fish and possibly blank, than go to a swim that I know contains smaller fish.
I am sure there are many others on this forum that think that way I do, but they are probably a bit better at expressing themselves.

Tight Lines Chaps…….. No matter how big.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any joy using pop-ups for chub?.ive been experimenting with them and have witnessed some very big chub swimming up to it and knudging it but they wont take it..ive had some good chub this season up to 7lb+ mainly from using bottom baits and stalking tactics so was just wondering if anyone has had any joy with pop-ups?

I have caught on suspended crust...3" off bottom, so would have thought popups would work.

Has anyone had any joy using pop-ups for chub?.ive been experimenting with them and have witnessed some very big chub swimming up to it and knudging it but they wont take it..ive had some good chub this season up to 7lb+ mainly from using bottom baits and stalking tactics so was just wondering if anyone has had any joy with pop-ups?

I've deliberately used and caught on conventional "stiff-rig" pop-ups where the flow is canal-slow, but I don't think it offers any real edge and rarely even think about it now. I much prefer to have a bottom-bait with PVA bag of bits surrounding it in order to induce a take, especially from the bigger specimens.

Haha had to laugh at that Craig. Weirdly enough thats exactly what I've been thinking along the lines of over the last couple of weeks. I thought I was being pretty leftfield with that one. My theory being that presenting a conventional bait in an unconventional way may give the edge. I certainly think they will pick it up more easily too than a bottom bait and is obviously a more selective method too. Will be interesting comparing notes on this throughout the season if you give it go ;)

Great minds think alike :D

You can even try lob worm,s this way ,i,ve had some huge chubb on this method ,injecting air just enough too bounce and waft a lobworm through a swim,and the takes can be very quick at times.

7.2 chubb i had recently fell too a method described by Simon earlier ,i used cheese paste moulded around a balanced boilie bait using a very long hook length ,this gives great presentation in the right swim ,i found a gentle crease in the flow let the bait waft very naturally.At first, i thought barbel, as the take was incredible but was,nt dissapointed.

Back