• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

chub

No Mate Ive got a ray walton one with braid on, i can wallis cast it ok so im not scared of them! Been looking out for a new one i can use for trotting for chub Im getting bored of ledgering and blanking!:rolleyes:!

Just ordered one myself - my first centre pin!!

Have fancied using one for a while, but they always seemed fairly expensive. However, for £35 I can't go wrong! I could use it a couple of times, not get on with it and never use it again and I still wouldn't feel hard done by/ out of pocket.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

`tis a nice looking reel for certain. Steve, hows it run? D`you think it`d Wallace?

Its very smooth Mart...very. It puts my 'purist' to shame....

I suppose the test will come in a year or two, if its still working well, but lets be honest there isn't much that can go wrong with them, and for £35.....

With you at the controls, I'm sure your hit the far bank of the Severn with a feeder full of pellets, no problem.......

Steve

With you at the controls, I'm sure your hit the far bank of the Severn with a feeder full of pellets, no problem.......

Ahhhhh, so you`ve never seen me Wallis cast then mate!:p:p The only bank I hit is the nearside one!

Does Dragon do Paypal? I`m thinking about one `cos I always seem to have 10lb on the Aerial when I want light line and visa versa. Seems a bit wasteful on the line. A useable `pin for trotting would be nice so I can leave the `proper` `pin for the barbel!

Flash,

if you'd bothered to read the whole thread, including Keith's post, rather than just looking to have another:rolleyes: sly dig at me and anything I (and a few others) post, you might have realised that what I said was perfectly true and in context to Keith's post above.

Keith is quite clearly not looking to catch 'small' Chub hence my comments. But of course, you again feel the need to try to look the big man.....:eek:

Maybe you'd like to post some pictures of your recent catches.... I know plenty of people who'd like to see you/them:rolleyes:;)......

Steve

Steve, "sly dig," though I find you at times pretty tedious even bordering on moronic, my post was by no means a dig at you, merely I couldn't understand how/why catching small to average fish equates to fishing for fun.
Yet targeting bigger specimen sized ones apparently does not?!:confused:

Because Keith like you me and everyone else on this forum are all anglers, angling by definition being,,,,,,,,,,,,, well you look it up.:rolleyes:

"Flash"
I nearly accused you of lacking originality but in fairness I've never been called that one before, my eldest brother carries that nick name as does my oldest son, me not until now.
Perhaps original, just, but still lacking in "cleaver" imagination.:rolleyes:

And why the hell would I want to post any pics of my recent captures?

Steve, "sly dig," though I find you at times pretty tedious even bordering on moronic, my post was by no means a dig at you, merely I couldn't understand how/why catching small to average fish equates to fishing for fun.
Yet targeting bigger specimen sized ones apparently does not?!:confused:

Because Keith like you me and everyone else on this forum are all anglers, angling by definition being,,,,,,,,,,,,, well you look it up.:rolleyes:

"Flash"
I nearly accused you of lacking originality but in fairness I've never been called that one before, my eldest brother carries that nick name as does my oldest son, me not until now.
Perhaps original, just, but still lacking in "cleaver" imagination.:rolleyes:

And why the hell would I want to post any pics of my recent captures?

Trust me, I've heard you called a lot more original names than just flash....:p

As a mate of mine once said.... 'I'm the nicest guy you've never met'.....

I'm starting to think your a bit of a' FOX' Flash......

Steve

Ahhhhh, so you`ve never seen me Wallis cast then mate!:p:p The only bank I hit is the nearside one!

Does Dragon do Paypal? I`m thinking about one `cos I always seem to have 10lb on the Aerial when I want light line and visa versa. Seems a bit wasteful on the line. A useable `pin for trotting would be nice so I can leave the `proper` `pin for the barbel!

I don't think they do paypal Mart, but very helpful over the phone if you give them a call....

Steve

Yeah good chub thread this LOL

on the subject of chub anyone got a shot pattern and float set up for trotting for chub on a slow walking pace river?

cheers

Sounds like a challenge to me... How about:

'Gordon Bennett' Colin, please lighten up a bit. Not every thread needs to be a slanging match. :rolleyes:

;):)

Yeah good chub thread this LOL

on the subject of chub anyone got a shot pattern and float set up for trotting for chub on a slow walking pace river?

cheers

Lewis, what type of float are you hoping to fish with and what depth is the water?

Last edited:
Seeing as you're about Colin, I'm sure you're just the man to answer the float/ shotting pattern query for a chub set-up... Lewis is obviously interested and I've been experiencing some almighty tangles whilst fishing the stick recently!! Any ideas?

Stu, basic rules of stickfloat fishing for me:
Most importantly IMO, lay the rig across the surface of the water, either by flicking it out in a sideways motion or feather your line so the hook always hits the water first and not in a heap.

Avoid bulk shotting using only a few big shots, rather than 2AAA use 8 no.4's, don't know why this helps but it does and if using bulk shot down the line always leave a gap of 1mm(ish) between them.

Hmmm, sounds like I'm not to far off then. Already shotting shirt button style, but perhaps I need to be using even more, smaller shot - i.e. 8 rather than 4 or 6. Will give it a go. Thanks!

Just bought my first centre pin too, so I'm sure to have another source of tangles soon whilst getting used to that! :D

Hmmm, sounds like I'm not to far off then. Already shotting shirt button style, but perhaps I need to be using even more, smaller shot - i.e. 8 rather than 4 or 6. Will give it a go. Thanks!

Just bought my first centre pin too, so I'm sure to have another source of tangles soon whilst getting used to that! :D

When you say almighty tangles, where on the rig is this normally occuring, hook length, around shots.....?

As for the pin, throw it in the river and buy a ABU 501 closed face reel.;):)

Basically a couple of times I've just ended with with an absolute mess between float and hook and including everything in between! So was assuming my shotting left something to be desired.

As for the pin, I wanted to see fir myself what all the fuss was about! :) Plus I plan to be doing a lot of trotting over the next couple of months.

If using a shotting pattern where you want a bulk shot try substituting the bulk shot for a single pole float olivetti weight, much more streamlined than a few bulk shot and easier to move up and down the line as required!!

Regards

Wazzy

Back