• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

chub

Had a great few hours this afternoon trotting for chub.
Took aroung 45 mins to get 'em going.
Fish all between 3 1/2 and 4 ish so great sport.

I don't put them in a keep net.
Whats the thoughts returning chub spooking swims?

Had a great few hours this afternoon trotting for chub.
Took aroung 45 mins to get 'em going.
Fish all between 3 1/2 and 4 ish so great sport.

I don't put them in a keep net.
Whats the thoughts returning chub spooking swims?

In my personal experience I haven't found it made a difference to be honest. As an example I had a nice Chub 5lb 12oz earlier in the season from a gin clear river that caused loads of commotion, crashing about in a very tight swim. Unhooked and put back in next swim up.Half an hour later it was back in the same swim with the rest of the shoal feeding avidly. I caught another one at 6lb 4oz shortly after. In theory the fish going back into the swim should have put them off and certainly shouldn't have been feeding again itself. Also intriguing is how the crashing about hadn't put them off either.

Last edited:
Gary
I don't like using a keep net but I find that use of a net is vital when fishing for Roach and Chub.
The smaller fish don't seem too concerned but the bigger fish do and will spook when you return fish.
Loosing one can also spook the bigger fish too.

I am only really interested in getting among the better fish so I always take a keepnet when fishing for Roach and Chub and often use it.
Today I fished The Ivel, I only had two fish but I am sure I would not have taken the second had I returned the first just after I caught it.
Both fish were 5+, so the second one was worth getting.

I fish a section of river where there are a number of 2lb + Roach, keepnets are not allowed, no matter how hard I try I can never get 2 - 2lb fish in a session (I am not the only one to notice this), on the only occasion where I contained a 2lb+ Roach ( It just sat still in the rushes for about an hour before it moved off) I had a second 2lb Roach within 20 mins.

Tight Lines.

Thanks Keith.
It was reading your float fishing article that inspired me to have a go.
Been out a number of times now and it's very satisfying when you get them going as you know you must have gotten the feeding about right.
Had chub to just over 4lb so far and they are great fun on the float.
I know there are a number of good 5 + and maybe bigger on the areas I fish so I will be investing in a keep net tomorrow. :)

Not a big fish, but a pleasure to catch in such weather (last Sunday).

DSC02379crop-1.jpg

I've got to agree with Keith when it comes to returning chub. Maybe it partly depends on the river and the pressure the fish are under since I also often fish the Ivel. I'm not a fan of keepnets but will occasionally use them for chub when I don't have the option of a suitable alternative swim to put them in close by. I've had many experiences of catching a couple of chub in the first few casts and then nothing for a couple of hours afterwards but I find this happens less if the chub don't go back into the same swim.

I started giving this serious thought when I was fishing with slugs last summer in low and clear conditions. After feeding a few slugs, every chub in the swim would go nuts the moment my bait hit the water. I'd have a fish on in seconds and usually one of the better ones. If I steered it straight away from the others and didn't put it back I could keep this going a while, especially if I also rested the swim for a few minutes between fish.

On the other hand, when I put the chub straight back they would swim across stream and hide tight under the far bank. The other chub would follow and although I'd still catch a few more I'd have to cast tighter and tighter to the far bank and I could see the chub often mouthing the bait or swimming up to it and darting away. If I hadn't been able to see them I would have assumed there were no more fish active in the swim and moved on.

Interesting thoughts here guys :). I really don't like using keep nets though and not sure they can be used anyway on the Stour at Throop :( . I'm going to try putting the Chub back a fair few swims away rather than the next one up and see what happens to my catch rate. Do any of you think it makes a difference releasing fish in an upstream swim or downstream i.e are fish (not just Chub) more likely and quickly to move upstream to re-join the shoal or drop downstream :confused:

Matt

If I am not using a sack or keepnet I tend to always release the fish a few swims downstream.

My thinking is that if I release the fish upstream it then may swim downstream spooking the rest of the shoal as it comes down towards them (Probably a load of bollo x but it does seem to work for me)

On quite a few occasions I have had a decent fish resting in the landing net, dropped the rig back out before releasing it and hooked another fish straight away and had to release the first as the second comes towards the net! As long as the two fish haven’t made too much of a disturbance it doesn’t seem to put the rest of the shoal off.

But as a rule I try to release them a way downstream.

Tom.

Unlike Keith, most of my Chub fishing is just for fun.

I'm not likely to catch 5lb+ fish on the stream I fish, and for that reason I dont bother with a keepnet.
I do however 'rest' any fish I catch in my large spoon net, just in case there is a chance of a second.

I managed 7 nice Chub on Sunday afternoon, up to about 4lbs, all on trotted flake.
Twice I had two fish in the net at once, having caught one quickly and trotted the swim again and hooked another....

I'm really enjoying my Chub fishing at the moment....

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Unlike Keith, most of my Chub fishing is just for fun.

I'm not likely to catch 5lb+ fish on the stream I fish, and for that reason I dont bother with a keepnet.
I do however 'rest' any fish I catch in my large spoon net, just in case there is a chance of a second.

I managed 7 nice Chub on Sunday afternoon, up to about 4lbs, all on trotted flake.
Twice I had two fish in the net at once, having caught one quickly and trotted the swim again and hooked another....

I'm really enjoying my Chub fishing at the moment....

"Unlike Keith, most of my Chub fishing is just for fun."
As opposed to what, catching bigger ones as a chore...:rolleyes:

Around here your stream would be a named river.;)

Certainly when Keith fishes the Lea, as I do, we're undoubtedly spoilt for big chub and always in with a good chance of a 6+lb specimen wherever you fish on it.

It's still fun, but fewer bites from bigger fish.

There aren't the bigger shoals of smaller chub unless you go to the upper Lea.
The Ivel's a bit more like that I found too, lots of 3 to 4lb-ers. 5+lb being a very good chub.

Gary
I don't like using a keep net but I find that use of a net is vital when fishing for Roach and Chub.
The smaller fish don't seem too concerned but the bigger fish do and will spook when you return fish.
Loosing one can also spook the bigger fish too.

I am only really interested in getting among the better fish so I always take a keepnet when fishing for Roach and Chub and often use it.
Today I fished The Ivel, I only had two fish but I am sure I would not have taken the second had I returned the first just after I caught it.
Both fish were 5+, so the second one was worth getting.

I fish a section of river where there are a number of 2lb + Roach, keepnets are not allowed, no matter how hard I try I can never get 2 - 2lb fish in a session (I am not the only one to notice this), on the only occasion where I contained a 2lb+ Roach ( It just sat still in the rushes for about an hour before it moved off) I had a second 2lb Roach within 20 mins.

Tight Lines.

Flash,

if you'd bothered to read the whole thread, including Keith's post, rather than just looking to have another:rolleyes: sly dig at me and anything I (and a few others) post, you might have realised that what I said was perfectly true and in context to Keith's post above.

Keith is quite clearly not looking to catch 'small' Chub hence my comments. But of course, you again feel the need to try to look the big man.....:eek:

Maybe you'd like to post some pictures of your recent catches.... I know plenty of people who'd like to see you/them:rolleyes:;)......

flashGordon.jpg

Hi steve, What centrepin reel is that u are using?

Looks Great!!

Its one of those much talked about Avanti 'Marco Cortesi' Signature center pins Lewis.
£35 from Dragon Carp Direct.... sold out at the moment, but I'm told they will be having another consignment in on Thursday;).

Cracking reel for the money.

Steve

Its a lovely looking reel! Might have to grab one as its so cheap!

Theyre back on there website now ad they werent on there last week was they??? So they must be taking orders i recon.

Last edited:
Lewis get in and grab one I have 2 and they seem to sell out fairly quickly. Good customer service as well.

Back