• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chub Fishing

Cheesepaste recipe. 40% pastry, 40% extra mature cheddar, 20% strong blue cheese. Freeze the lot, grate into one big bowl and mix, then let it defrost for a few hours and knead together. Simples.

Cheesepaste recipe. 40% pastry, 40% extra mature cheddar, 20% strong blue cheese. Freeze the lot, grate into one big bowl and mix, then let it defrost for a few hours and knead together. Simples.

I like your thinking. Any specific pastry, i have found short pastry better.

I use shortcrust as well Mark. I picked the recipe up off here a while ago, best day to date using it was 7 chub all above 4lb with a new pb of 5lb 12oz.

just over 5lb ? what did it actually weigh ? Only went chubbing as frost and temp drop should have laid barbel low while temp stabilise

Sorry for late reply only just read this thread again, 5lb 3oz caught at 12:30am

Are you adding anything to it Rhys? If any thing I find mine a little stiff but apparently a teaspoon of glycerine will solve that.

pastry, brie and blue cheese, tandoori powder. But started adding different powders to take the sticky out to no avail

I thought glycerine was just to stop it going too hard in cold water and hindering the strike

Try a bit of corn flour Rhyss.

I normally ferment a couple of different cheeses for at least a month and then kneed the ball of cheese till its really soft and then add corn flour to get the right consitency.

I dont bother with pastry.

I always leave a good bit of point showing so dont really worry about it going a bit harder in the cold.

Mexicanna cheese is good as a base aswell.

I just can't get the consistency right with cheese paste, always too sticky! Any ideas?

Might be a daft question but what time of year do you use it? I follow the exact recipe mentioned earlier by Stuart ( actually taken from 'Quest for Barbel' ). It makes a perfect cold weather Chub bait but turns into a horrible sticky mess in the summer/autumn!

Try replacing the Brie with Cheddar, using the 2 parts Pastry, 2 parts Cheddar to 1 part Danish Blue formula it should turn out spot on.

Hi all been out on middle trent today for few hours , had 4 bites and managed to miss 1 , the other 3 resulted in a chublet of 2lb 8oz and broke my pb twice with fish of 5lb 9oz and 5lb 12oz !!!!!

Might be a daft question but what time of year do you use it? I follow the exact recipe mentioned earlier by Stuart ( actually taken from 'Quest for Barbel' ). It makes a perfect cold weather Chub bait but turns into a horrible sticky mess in the summer/autumn!

Try replacing the Brie with Cheddar, using the 2 parts Pastry, 2 parts Cheddar to 1 part Danish Blue formula it should turn out spot on.

I would agree totally, never used brie but it is a lot softer than cheddar, hence the stickiness. However, brie would be an interesting addition in cold weather when cheddar can go a bit hard

Got a bit of a question here, why make it soft ? now believe me i am no expert when it comes to chub fishing to say the least !, but my Cheesepaste goes like concrete in cold weather !! even so they still seem to eat it without any problem, surely if its hard then the only way they can deal with it is to suck it in and crush it ( ala hard boilies which they also like) and it stops the buggers removing your nice soft paste and getting away with it ?

The method I'd really like to try is a hand grenade! :D I'm sick of the bait-robbin' sods on my local river.

Main reason for it to be soft is if its moulded on round hook then you can strike through it and hook the fish , boillies tend to be fished hair rigged up to bend of hook , some people do hair rig cheesepaste so that negates the need to be soft

Main reason for it to be soft is if its moulded on round hook then you can strike through it and hook the fish , boillies tend to be fished hair rigged up to bend of hook , some people do hair rig cheesepaste so that negates the need to be soft

I fish it with the bend and point exposed Robert, side hooked i guess you'd call it and i don't miss many !

Got a bit of a question here, why make it soft ? now believe me i am no expert when it comes to chub fishing to say the least !, but my Cheesepaste goes like concrete in cold weather !!

Same as Simon. The recipe i follow turns out like plasticine, but goes rock hard after a short time in very cold water. It's stiff enough to give it a big chuck on larger rivers without falling off. As mentioned earlier it turns sticky in warm weather but that's not a concern for me as i only use it for Chub in winter. During the warmer months i'm fishing for other species.

Lushy

You have to make allowances for some of the whipper snappers on here, they don`t remember the pre hair days.

No problem with side hooking, chub don`t seem to mind big hooks, I`ve even used size 2/0 Cox and Rawle crab hooks in the past with no ill effects on my catch ratio.

mic

Very subtle Mr Foot :D Though even the bloke whose name is on em admits that they are **** (not crab) hooks, Sakumas are the way to go!

Keep well mate
Si

Lushy

We are talking some time ago and you have to try these things to find out if they are c**p or not and you`re right they are c**p.

In fact I switched to large maruta kinryus when I needed a large strong paste hook and still like them now.

Mic

Back