• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chub Fishing

Lushy

We are talking some time ago and you have to try these things to find out if they are c**p or not and you`re right they are c**p.

In fact I switched to large maruta kinryus when I needed a large strong paste hook and still like them now.

Mic

Spade end ones ? i suppose a 2/0 don't look that big in the gob of your avatar fish, very special that one my boy, very special ;)

Simon

Yes the spade end ones, down to my last couple of dozen now. didn`t use them in 2/0s normally anything from 1 to 4s.

The avatar fish fell to flake on a slightly less crude set up...only slightly mind.

Mic

cheese paste.

Buy some Just-Rol puff pastry or short crust, the pack should contain two 340g blocks.

Roll out one of these blocks using a rolling pin, lightly dust with some flour.

Once this has been rolled, spread on some cheese spread, this can be any make or flavour, it comes in a tube.

Then sprinkle on some grated strong cheddar, and then crumble on some Danish Blue Cheese.

Fold over the corners and then start kneading the mix, keep this going until you have the right texture, if it's a bit wet or too soft, add a sprinkle of flour.

I must admit that once I have folded over the mix, I then bung the whole lot into Tina's dough maker, and let the machine do the work.

Once finished, you should have a nice soft paste, man enough to stay on the hook, but not too hard as it can impede a hook penetration, if you pull a piece of your finished paste, it should have a slight spring in it, test it out in a glass of water to see how long it would stay on the hook. Please note that it can feel a bit soft at first, but it does stiffen up slightly once left. Whilst making your paste, write down exactly what portions you use, once you have achieved your target, then every time you make some paste, it should be 100% successful. If you think you have made too much, cut and roll the paste into separate balls and place each ball into its own plastic bag and place them into the freezer.

Now you can go and try it out, then moan at me because you blanked, good luck.

There are many ways to make cheese paste, but this one works for me, give it a go.
Brian Willson.

Back