• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chimera Ultra Flood vs Torrix 2.5lb

Andrew Boyne

Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the Chimera Ultra Flood blank and the Torrix 2.5lb blank in terms of thier playing action and casting abilities?

I've got the Chimera and it's a tool and a half, great rod for floods and snags and bullying fish. It is quite a thick blank though. I would imagine/hope the torrix is a little thinner, but I wouldn't imagine there's an awful lot between them...

I have a pair of the 2.5lb Torrixs, they are great rods for playing fish and cast 6 once leads no bother, but I would say the chimera would be a better weight caster than the Torrix due to its thicker walls most of all less hook pulls with the torrix

Thanks for the input chaps - the thought had occured to me regarding hook pulls with such powerfull rods. Would both of you be happy to cast out a size 10 hook on a 10lb mono hooklink with these rods or would that be asking for trouble? I know they are flood rods but we don't always have to use half a can of meatballs on a size 2 do we!

I've got a pair of the torrix floods, Andrew. First of all, they are a joy to use. Great fish playing rods and can belt out 6oz feeders packed with bait.
I've cast 8oz feeders with them, but i wouldn't want to give them any more than a gentle lob.

In terms of lighter tackle, i straightened a hook pattern on a shoalie last night which i've never done with my lighter torrix. It's not conclusive evidence of course, but i wouldn't be comfortable playing a good barbel on 10lb mono with it.

However, with balanced tackle i'd recommend the rod with no reservations.

Thanks Graham - i'm leaning towards the Torrix i think - if it'll put 6oz feeders with bait out at 35yds it'll do for me. I'll just have to stop fishing with 8mm pellets in a raging flood! :)

I have just had a pair of Torrix built and I am over the moon with them. Lovely playing action and I have no worries about fishing a strong size 10 wide gape hook on a 10lb hooklink to 12lb main. I was casting 6oz feeders 80 yards the other week. Think about ring sizes with all that weed on the line ...

Stephen

I have just had a pair of Torrix built and I am over the moon with them. Lovely playing action and I have no worries about fishing a strong size 10 wide gape hook on a 10lb hooklink to 12lb main. I was casting 6oz feeders 80 yards the other week. Think about ring sizes with all that weed on the line ...

Stephen

I would think the size of my ring would vary quite a lot during the fight if I were trying to play a large barbel in from 80yds on a size ten with lots of weed coming down in heavy flow :p

Cheers, Dave.

What did you go for regarding sizes Stephen? 10 or 12mm tip? I've been thinking about this and can't decide on the best option - bigger rod guides would stop the crud jamming on the tip ring but then surely it all ends up wrapped up on the spool which could also cause problems? It's good to know the rods have the ability to fish at such range should i need to but an 80 yard chuck on my local would see me 20 yards into the field on the opposite bank! :)

80yards with a six ounce feeder, now thats something I would love to see........

Hi Chris,
I have a Chimera 12ft S/U it is an unbelievable rod, how the hell Harrisons can make a rod that will cast an 8oz feeder across the Thames and will show a the slightest bite is beyond me! I have been lucky enough to catch a few on it, no problem with hook pulls. I never use less than 12lb big game line though.

Andrew, I was torn between 10 or 12 for the tip but the match man in me couldn't quite make the leap to 12 so went for 10. Far better to have weed on the reel and a fish in the net in my opinion.

For me the rods feel best with a 4oz feeder on just as my 1.75s feel perfect with 2.5oz on, as such I think they would be best described as big river rather than flood.

Hope you make the right choice and are pleased with whatever you get.

Stephen

Ps I have also just been reminded why I don't post.

Thanks Stephen - i hear what your saying regarding weed on the reel, just thinking of the possibilities of the line bedding in on it and not being able to give line under the rod tip - suppose it's better to run that risk than have a fish stuck 20yds out with the tip ring jammed up. Jon didn't say it had to be a barbel rod - i'll bring my Zziplex down to the TT and put a 6oz feeder 20yds into the field on the opposite bank if he likes!

Thanks Stephen - i hear what your saying regarding weed on the reel, just thinking of the possibilities of the line bedding in on it and not being able to give line under the rod tip - suppose it's better to run that risk than have a fish stuck 20yds out with the tip ring jammed up. Jon didn't say it had to be a barbel rod - i'll bring my Zziplex down to the TT and put a 6oz feeder 20yds into the field on the opposite bank if he likes!

I suspect that this beachcaster stuff, with a multiplier. I'd like to see this monster cast, one stipulation, you have to use a Shimano 5000/6000 reel with 12 lb line - the lead when arriving on the far bank must still be attached to the line. Remember seeing Les Moncrieff in his hay day. Could the beach gear cast an 8oz feeder plus groundbait, maybe 12oz in total, those sort of distances? When uptiding, 12oz leads are used but these are fished on short boat rods more akin to broom handles. I suppose that I have answered my own question as it must be possible to lob massive weights out if a carbon pole can launch a pole vaulter. However, it may be a bit bizarre to see an angler running towards the bankside before launching his cast towards the horizon. Would a fishing rod, based on a pole vault rod, have an all-through action?

Would a fishing rod, based on a pole vault rod, have an all-through action?

Jim,

Your question brought back thoughts of the often repeated sequence in the Olympics, whereby a pole vaulter ran up to the launchpad, put the pole under full compression, only to then discover that he had bought the four piece travelling version rather than the one piece. I am sure that if I were Frankie Boyle, I could answer you by involving the possible tragic consequences of that event, had he landed differently. But I am not, so I won't :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Remember seeing Les Moncrieff in his hay day. Could the beach gear cast an 8oz feeder plus groundbait, maybe 12oz in total, those sort of distances

Jim, having seen Les, you will recall that he was a big man, and very tall. A comment that often came up at his demo's was that he reached the distances he did partly because he was so tall. In answer to that, Les would get down on his knees and cast, still putting the huge leads he used way past the 100m mark :eek: It's all in the technique! I try telling myself that every time I try beach casting....obviously, I don't have the technique OR the size :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

As there seems to be some doubt, I have just used google earth to find the exact distance I was throwing is 73 yards. Check out the review on here by Mike Berridge on the Peregrine flood rod, he is fishing the same peg and throws a 5oz feeder 15 yards onto the far bank ...

Stephen

Now there's a thing! Peregrine flood rod . . . . . . . hmmmmm. Another Harrison blank? Anyway - distance is not really the requirement, i don't fish the Trent much anymore and won't be taking it Cod fishing on Dungness beach! Looking for something with the ability to lob heavy 6-8oz leads but retain a nice fish playing action. Both rods seem to have their fans.

Back