• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheaper pins

I'd echo the above, but would go as far as to say I am not a fan of either, even though I have an example of each sat in a drawer. They are both too narrow and the cage on the rapidex prohibits any propper casting.

I hear people recomending all manner of cheaper centrepins, in particular they recommend the speedia reels 😶.
Imo the best lower priced centrepin reel anyone could buy.... by a country mile is the okuma aventa pro or sheffield.
I am not a fan of both either, but at least the trudex is castable.

Okuma reels are great, probably the best pins for under 200, but I don’t consider them as cheap pins. Mid priced maybe?

I am not a fan of both either, but at least the trudex is castable.

Okuma reels are great, probably the best pins for under 200, but I don’t consider them as cheap pins. Mid priced maybe?

You could pick up a unused or very little used second hand aventa model for 40 quid not too long ago.
They do seem to have increased dramatically in price just now!
That said, a good example of the rapidex or trudex will be as costly as a decent second hand aventa.

You could pick up a unused or very little used second hand aventa model for 40 quid not too long ago.
They do seem to have increased dramatically in price just now!
That said, a good example of the rapidex or trudex will be as costly as a decent second hand aventa.
Just checked the price of okuma and trudex , the price of okuma reels increased a lot somehow. But the price of trudex is crazy, a good example was about 60, but now nearly 100…

Also, the high end reel seems dropping a lot as well, you can pick a mint/new Mill tackle or Chris Lythe pin for no more than the original price if you are lucky.

I recall in the mid fifties when I first fished on the lea navigation,bakerlite pins, 2/6 each. They were a pain when a horse drawn barge came along. True!

The black one is a Trentman (albeit with customised drag knob) distinguishable by the unusual reel seat and only really usable with sliding reel fittings ( unless like me you you fashion a new reel seat to be used with screw fittings)

Initially thought to be made by workers at the Rolls Royce factory but opinion now says at the Raleigh Cycle factory.

At £10 an absolute bargain, one of the best trotting reels around which goes under the radar.
There was a light and heavy version made.

The great Keith Speer (god rest his soul) used these.
Thanks for the info on the reel,the alloy one I have been told was properly made on a lunch break by a Sheffield engineer,still bargains to be had .

Back