• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheaper pins

Rapidex is good for still water and Grice is great for ledgering due to their design. So that’s Trudex or speedia narrow drum. I prefer speedia due to the ratchet, but speedia has a very deep spool, which makes the retrieval very slow. You can get a line reducer to make the spool shallower. But the real problem of speedia is most of them are wabbling, seems a design issue or material problem. So be very careful if you want to get a speedia. Trudex is a great reel, in general, it is easier to find a better conditions trudex than speedia. Plus it has a removable line guard, maybe better for new pin user.
For starting out I’d suggest a wider drum. It Makes learning to cast properly easier and less frustrating to start with.

Loads of people love the Okuma Sheffield or Aventa Pro VT1002. Not stupidly dear and good resale value. My advice having bought cheap “vintage” gear is it’s not always all it’s cracked up to be. Out of the reels you mentioned a Speedia is the nicest to trot, but it’s only a 4” diameter reel and the deep arbour means retrieving can be labour intensive. I would go for an Okuma personally, or the TFG Classic is actually a really nice light reel for the money. The centrepin bug bit me a few years ago and now they’re basically all I fish with, and only float fishing at that (well, maybe 98%).

Hope it helps mate, feel free to PM if you want any in depth discussion or more personal opinions 😊

Thanks chaps. Alan, I don't really like the look of the new/current budget centrepins, which is one reason I asked about vintage ones for now. I'll more than likely buy a good used J W Young 'pin soon enough, like the BJ or Purist, but I'm trying to be sensible for now. I'll make a mental note to pick your brains when I'm ready to part with more serious cash. 👍

Loads of people love the Okuma Sheffield or Aventa Pro VT1002. Not stupidly dear and good resale value. My advice having bought cheap “vintage” gear is it’s not always all it’s cracked up to be. Out of the reels you mentioned a Speedia is the nicest to trot, but it’s only a 4” diameter reel and the deep arbour means retrieving can be labour intensive. I would go for an Okuma personally, or the TFG Classic is actually a really nice light reel for the money. The centrepin bug bit me a few years ago and now they’re basically all I fish with, and only float fishing at that (well, maybe 98%).

Hope it helps mate, feel free to PM if you want any in depth discussion or more personal opinions 😊
I'm by no means an expert and dont fish regularly with pins anymore but I've owned all four of the pins you mention and I was least satisfied with the Speedia and ended up with the Sheffield and cant see me changing

Out of the pins you listed, I’d go with either Trudex or Rapidex. They can be great little reels and perfect for trotting. Personally I don’t like the Speedia or Supreme for trotting, they just feel clunky.

Trudex has the advantage of being able to Wallis cast which you can’t with the Rapidex due to the caged drum. But that design does come in handy in windy conditions.

Beware there is a lot of dross out there. There are a lot of these reels around being sold by non-angling attic raiders who wouldn’t know “good condition, spins well” from their elbow. Common fault with Rapidex is the drum rubbing on the cage and common fault on both a cracked release cap. These were originally made from a hard, brittle plastic. You can get replacements from Mill Tackle, but a pain. Example crack, easy to spot in person, harder on fleabay.
IMG_1705.jpeg

If your heart is set on one of these, maybe ask on here in classifieds. Probably someone has a spare they’re willing to part with and more likely to be a good ‘un.

All that said, listen closely to those recommending the Okuma Sheffield; it’s probably one of the best bang for buck ‘pins around and easy to sell on without loss.

Thanks chaps. Alan, I don't really like the look of the new/current budget centrepins, which is one reason I asked about vintage ones for now. I'll more than likely buy a good used J W Young 'pin soon enough, like the BJ or Purist, but I'm trying to be sensible for now. I'll make a mental note to pick your brains when I'm ready to part with more serious cash. 👍
Over budget it may be but that is a bargain Kevin for one of my personal favorite jw reels.
Brilliant for casting and a rim mounted check lever which is my personal preference
IMG_5970.jpeg

Over budget it may be but that is a bargain Kevin for one of my personal favorite jw reels.
Brilliant for casting and a rim mounted check lever which is my personal preference

Not over budget and I'm already watching that one. ;) Decided I'll probably go for a newer reel, but I've been taking advice from various quarters (via PM) about which ones other members prefer and why. In so much as I've shifted my gaze from 'Cheaper pins' to the £200-300.00 mark, I can probably be counted out of this discussion. Thanks to those who replied to my earlier query.

Not over budget and I'm already watching that one. ;) Decided I'll probably go for a newer reel, but I've been taking advice from various quarters (via PM) about which ones other members prefer and why. In so much as I've shifted my gaze from 'Cheaper pins' to the £200-300.00 mark, I can probably be counted out of this discussion. Thanks to those who replied to my earlier query.
I hope whatever you buy serves you well. Just stick with it and the frustration side of things doesn’t last long. After a short while you won’t want to trot with anything else

Back