• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chair or not?

David Traynor

Does everybody take a chair with them when you go river fishing? I tend to find it too bulky to carry, especially on longer walks to the river. So I tend to use a waterproof padded mat to sit on. What about you guys?

Hi men,

For many years on the Teme it was just a couple of those bum buddies for me and Sue , but when we got to the Kennet we went all posh :D , and the banks are flatter ;)

Hatter

For this time of year i don't bother with a seat, as I like to go roving from swim to swim and don't want to be anchored down, also my sessions are only for a couple of hrs .

Fox adjusta level seats weigh nothing. However saying that if im on the teme I tend to just wear gortex as it's not a river I camp on.

The age and/or physical state of individual anglers will dictate a lot of the opinions on this one. I couldn't stand, or sit on a seat without a backrest come to that, for more than a maximum half an hour without problems. That apart, I can see distinct advantages of roaming free, unencumbered by weighty items.

Cheers, Dave.

Tend to sit on a plastic bait bucket if travelling light. Also found that a landing mat beats a knitted blanket on your lap when blanking in the cold. Blow me if that's the only use it's had recently.

I always take a very light weight chair as my other hobby is sleeping. There are no fish in my local river and I am a **** angler anyway. Sleeping solves a lot of issues for me...

I always take a very light weight chair as my other hobby is sleeping. There are no fish in my local river and I am a **** angler anyway. Sleeping solves a lot of issues for me...

I sort of agree John. I generally take a light chair because my main activity when on the bank is staring and I find that deploying a chair really enhances the whole staring experiences. On wonderfully warm summer evenings an unhooking mat also works well and has the added bonus of helping to liberate oneself from the shackles of extensive tackle items. This means one is more likely to rove thereby creating new and exciting staring opportunities.

I sort of agree John. I generally take a light chair because my main activity when on the bank is staring and I find that deploying a chair really enhances the whole staring experiences. On wonderfully warm summer evenings an unhooking mat also works well and has the added bonus of helping to liberate oneself from the shackles of extensive tackle items. This means one is more likely to rove thereby creating new and exciting staring opportunities.

Brilliant :D

image.jpg

I like to be comfy on the banks .......:D

I think that is terrible Clive, how anyone could even consider using that for fishing is beyond me :mad:

In camo, yes....but in that dreadful shade of blue :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Any recommendations for lightweight chairs had my fox chair for a good 15 years and its know beginning to look a bit tired and its not the lightest to carry around unless i put it on my barrow

Back