• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cell for Barbel?

Chris Plumb

Got some Cell boilies - primarily for the tincas this summer - was wondering if anyone had tried them for barbel?

C.

Been thinking the same thing mate, I know there excellent for the carp,one way to find out, roll on the 16th

Yes, and yes they work, bream love them too!!!!
I,am going to use the new grange, the original one was the dogs wotsits. peter

Absolutely Peter, just about the finest bait I have ever used. I was told it died the death because one of the critical ingredients became unavailable, and they never got a replacement that was quite as good as the original. (I was told it was a cheese powder, but never been certain) I do know that the CSL activator changed a great deal as time went by, and that can't have helped.

I wonder what is being used in the new version? I find it all a bit odd, because the 'modified' old version has always been available for those who still wanted it, so why the need of a new version? It is either 'The Grange' or it is not...if it is, then it is still available anyway :eek:...bit weird :D

Cheers, Dave.

Chris,

Sincere apologies for hijacking your thread fella...just can't resist discussions on the Grange :D

I'd imagine that because Cell isn't your traditional meaty/fishy bait Barbel anglers are hesitant to use it, same with all sweet/fruity carp orientated boilies actually, but why wouldn't barbel find them appealing?

There is nowt wrong with a fruit/sweet smelling/tasting barbel bait, in fact they work fairly well.

IMO, Barbel will eat just about anything they can get in their mouth....If you can feed them up without scaring them and gain their confidence.

In the clear Teme water I use loads of feed items so I can see when they have thrown caution to the wind before I put a bait in....on the deeper Lower Severn where educated guesswork is required to gauge what is going on, I make use of boilies as my feed item.

That said, I would imagine that ANY decent boilie bait will catch Barbel and I've heard nothing but praise for Mainline bait - especially the Cell from the carpers - should work equally well on flowing water with Barbel.

Paul

Anything Mainline has got to be well made,tried and tested.Active-8 has been around for years and is still a big favourite of mine.However,like Peter, the new Grange will be on my shopping list.

Pete.

I've caught plenty of carp on cell and tried them quite a few times for barbel but i've never caught one on them! I've done well on Fusion from the mainline stable but that's the only other one i've tried of theirs.

There,s so many baits available now, some good, some really good and a lot of garbage, my alltime favorite summer bait is NRG(mainline), anytime baits, choice of 4, grange, active8, maple8 (all mainline) and Hinders Blitz, others have caught fairly well, but not a patch on those above. Each to his/her own, but a tin of bacon grill is a very good stanby, and at times will out fish anything!
peter

Yep I have had 'em mouthing the boilies but not actually taking, so stick on the main coarse (a big lump of Spam) and result!!

Been using Mainline AM8 for a number of years now; in that time other baits have come and gone, and I have no real desire to try or change. It really is good Barbel bait.

Back