• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

carrying a machete in boot of car

Wrap the machete in an old towel, put it right at the bottom of your tackle bag.
As long as its not in plain view or easy to hand that should be fine. Keep mine in my rod quiver :)

bit of a grey area where the law is concerned, as long as you can justify why you have it, then you should be OK, You can carry a baseball bat as long as have a ball, bag and glove but not on it's own.

In the circumstances you describe, the machete being stored in your boot and intended for bank clearance whilst fishing you make out a defence to possession of an offensive weapon (section 1 prevention of crime act 1953) and possession of a bladed article. By keeping secure, carried in your rod bag and out of view it is unlikely that you would be prosecuted. However, always worth saying that possession of such articles when investigated is judged on a case by case basis with circumstance and context considered. The more you have the article out of view and secure, especially when in public the less likely you are to have problems.

I met a bloke on the banks of the Kennet and he carried a machete in his rod bag, that was used for clearing the banks perhaps not of vegetation though, more those that took a fancy to his fishing tackle.
Some sound advice on here that I would concur with - the less readily available it is for use as a weapon the less likely you are to be prosecuted.

Thank goodness we have a close season to give the vegetation time to grow back after being scythed to death. Never come across any swim I could not get into with a few swipes of a bankstick.

the one thing i hate to see is a swim that has been hacked to bits to be honest if people need a carp platform to fish of go somewhere else i have not fished a swim in the last 30 years that i have had to clear anything from you can poke reeds out the way i was taught along time ago that if you can see the river the fish can see you if they can see you they aint going to be there for long i now that with the club i belong to now which is on the kennet they do not allow anglers to clear swims because after a while it gets redicolous as you end up with swims every 2 foot at the end of the season

I suppose it depends on your local river, on mine; the Tees, it is generally a 30m hack just to get down from the bank to the river. I know what some are saying about swims being devestated and have seen it myself. I had to clear out a fave swim on Thursday night but made sure it left plenty of cover for me.

I was advised that you should contact the local constabulary of the area where you are planning to use it, if carrying a machete or similar, and they will offer advice. As an extra, I would suggest photographing any areas you have cut down, as evidence of your usage of such a tool.

On some of the Severn stretches I fish you'd be lost without a machete.
As for the law, I often wander the streets with mine and never had any problems, I find it helps counter balance the special brew in my other hand.

Thank goodness we have a close season to give the vegetation time to grow back after being scythed to death. Never come across any swim I could not get into with a few swipes of a bankstick.

Im with Richard on this. Never had to do this i just walk through the vegetation and fold it back up on completion.

Leave only footprints gent's.

Back