• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Buy cheap buy twice - is this a problem?

Chris Netto

Just caught a comment on the landing net handle post which raised a question.

Back in 2004ish I was on a BFW fish-in on the Teme where I met a fellow BFWer who I still fish with.

He introduced me to the Okuma Interceptor 30BF. A cheap (£20) baitrunner. It came with two spools and an excellent clutch. Was really light and took 110yards of 12lb line. Just right for barbelling small rivers and still allowing a cast of about 60m if required. I have four of them (one free) and they are still going strong. With only three BBs they do feel the strain a little every summer as when on a shallow lake I fish, one has to wade and then cast as far as you can meaning a 100yard plus retrieval at times.
But their reliability has meant these (with different line BS) are my 1st reels of choice for most fishing apart from carp, catfish or pike. And even then it is dependent on the size of the water.

When the new Shimmano mini bait runners came out a couple of years back I was tempted to buy a couple, but resisted the urge to replace the Okumas. There is undoubtedly a quality difference (and pleasure of using issue?) but this also means a heavier reel.

Now here is the question. If I spend £25 on a 'cheap' but good enough reel which I can replace easily after a few years for a more modern model, is that more of a saving than spending £80 on a reel, which will no doubt last longer, but will be old technology-wise before it gives up the ghost. Ie is being able to buy every 4 years better than having to buy every 8?

Perhaps a better question would be how long do you expect your reels to last? A sort of business 'write-down' angle. If I was regularly winding in 3oz of lead over 100 yards I am sure I would have gone for more quality and size. Also included is the fact that there has been little development in fixed spool reels to speak of. So is 'the latest' any better than what you bought years ago?

Chris

chris, i prefer my tackle to last donkeys years mate i have and use rods, reels and bedchair what alas finally collapsed under my weight,
personally i would rather spend out on stuff i like visually and use of to
as far as my finances let me do so, i threw away my nash 60 litre rucksack earlier this year trying to get a bit of space in my garage, that rucksack was at least 35 years old and had lots and lots of use and was still very serviceable apart from renewing buckle clips and straps:)

I get satisfaction from using well engineered kit of high quality. I think it adds to the enjoyment of fishing. I have never regretted spending the extra on bits of tackle that really matter i.e. rods, reels, line, hooks, clothing etc.

Another way of looking at it is that I am a hopeless tackle tart.

Steve

If it works for you mate then thats all that matters.

I spent a few quid on a pair of bait runners a couple of seasons ago and hate the bloody things so i have replaced them................ buy pricey buy twice LOL

The Okuma's are loved by lots of people, some of their pins are excellent value for money as i am told are their fixed spool reels so i would not be put of by the price. As with lots of other things in life, you can pay a lot more for just a "name"!

Perhaps we all fit into certain categories when it comes to buying gear:

Those who buy cheap because it'll probably do the job;
Those that buy the latest model and replace when the next one comes out;
Those who buy the best they can afford at the time and run it until it falls apart:
Those who pick up bargains second-hand and use them until a better second-hand model comes on the market.

I haven't thought this through in any depth and I'm sure there are more categories, but I currently slide easily into the last.:)

Hi Chris, with a name like yours why the questions ?

Sorry, bad taste, but couldn't resist it. :0)

Anyway, I have a pair of Okuma Longbow 50' baitrunners,had them for about 6 or 7 yrs, maybe more, they only cost £30.00 each, only have 3 ball bearings, front drag, which is a must have for me and a first class clutch,maybe some would say a bit big for Barbel, but I use them on the Ribble and Trent, and they perform admirably, keep them clean and serviced and for £60.00 a pair,which is far less than you would pay for a single similar reel with a better spec,they offer tremendous value, they have pulled in double figure Barbel, Pike in low 20's , great rafts of weed and a floating pallet that fouled the line once,and they sometimes get used for Bassing as well.
So for me cheap does not have to be just cheerful, just choose wisely and the money will be saved for other essentials. Seems to me you have got it right.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Good point. Before the supermarket came along I was having continually to spell out my surname, so there are some advantages. I also used to have a large black dog (Giant Schnauzer) which bearing in mind the logo, was a double coincidence.

Looking at Anthony's reply, I fall into all the categories - bar the 2nd. I originally bought a new GTE 5000 for barbeling , great reel, but the weight was significant and the capacity surprisingly low. Now I use it for mainly spinning (or mid-BS line at distance) as it is smooth and powerful. Also the clutch has never really been tested. It is like new as I hate ruining expensive gear. So when fishing I have a continual fight of balancing gear with job in hand, with likely abuse. :)

One of the good things about the Okumas, I have less issue with covering them in ground bait or stuff. As they say the best kit is the one you use.

Hi Chris, it was my comment you saw. A throw away comment really that when I think about it wasn't correct. It was the quality that was the problem, not the price. The price was a consequence of quality. I also probably asked it to do a bit more than it was designed to do.

When I was into some serious match fishing some 30 years ago I had to have the best and had a couple of rods that cost me £150 each then :eek:. Nowdays I try to buy things that present good value, in this case I bought something that was a bit lower in quality than I would normally buy. It then failed and I was annoyed with myself.

I don't think there's a need to do anything more than some simple sums if something is expected to wear out. Fifteen years ago we moved into our house and needed a lawn mower. I called into fancy shop and they told me the best for the job would be a Honda mower that cost £500 and would be guaranteed for life as long as I paid £50 a year to service it! I went to Homebase and bought one for £75, I'm now on my third mower and clearly made the right decision.

Last edited:
I'm in the boat unfortunately of normally buying something new when ever it comes out. However in use I always end up with my favourites and normally sell the bits I don't get on with and when I find something I like I use it until it falls apart as my 5010 is still going strong 16 years on, my 5000t's 13 years old. Then spends ages trying to find something I really like again when it's needed.

I think Okuma are excellent quality and great value. I have two Okuma pins and they are top drawer. I use shimano bait runners but wouldn't have a problem using Okumas at all.

It's your hobby Chris, and as Tom says, if it works for you, then that is all that matters.
As long as an item of tackle is fit for purpose and does the job, it matters not if it is a new model or a classic relic.
One or two well known barbel anglers are still using mitchell 300's,..I 'progressed' to the 300S [first skirted spool], donkeys years ago and although the design was an improvement on the former model, the brass gears were very prone to stripping,..so not really a case of new is better there.
I made the mistake of buying a cheap £45 multiplier as a backup to my ABU 6500's some years ago for beachcasting,..second cast [a pendulum], the little ryobi made a whirling noise and was obviously very upset at being power cast. On inspection the centrifugal brake blocks had melted! ..Not fit for purpose.
I still use my shim. 5010's and my cent./ pins are all well used old friends.

Last edited:
Fox tackle is the best out there in my opinion or at least for me it is

Okuma are good, but of late I have been mainly buying second hand Shimano 5010 and 6010's baitrunner, don't suppose there was a better looking reel ever made than these, and are very smooth especially the GT version. I had in mind to sell them on but wouldn't/ couldn't part with them.:)

I prefer the more expensive equipment that is built to last.

I liken it to a good woman; get your hands on some quality, take good care of it and it'll last you well into old age. :)

Some of my rods and reels in use pre-date my wife and we had our silver wedding this year!

Buy the expensive stuff and should you wish to upgrade you can shove it on ebay and get a great price.
I myself go for good condition used quality stuff,have had 2 x shimano xt 4000 baitrunners off ebay both are like new and paid about £80 each for them,could use them for a few years and if I decided to sell them would not loose much on them.

Avoid the Fox Stratos reels !! Great reels let down by poor build quality........
Shimano 5000GTE's for me, bought 2nd hand off eBay, ok I've had them serviced, but think they'll last me as long as I am fishing !!

Avoid the Fox Stratos reels !! Great reels let down by poor build quality........
Shimano 5000GTE's for me, bought 2nd hand off eBay, ok I've had them serviced, but think they'll last me as long as I am fishing !!

I was joking Paul ! they were /are the biggest pile of garbage reelwise ever made.

Back