• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Burton Mutual.

I once tried to reverse a club rule (not BMAA) at an AGM that the committee had previously brought in without first consulting the membership. The next AGM, there were more members in attendance than any previous AGM in history. Strangely, they were all there to vote against my motion. 🤔🤔

I'd imagine that's what will probably happen in March.

Morning Simon,

I hope you are well.

Appreciate that the BMAA waters are a lot closer, but if the fish just are not there, then a journey to say Newark & District Piscatorial Fed stretches will be worth the extra effort. There is a bonus of course, it means we can fish together and you know I always bring a large Melton Mowbray pork pie with me. :D

I once tried to reverse a club rule (not BMAA) at an AGM that the committee had previously brought in without first consulting the membership. The next AGM, there were more members in attendance than any previous AGM in history. Strangely, they were all there to vote against my motion. 🤔🤔

I'd imagine that's what will probably happen in March.
Good luck Simon. It's a really good idea. I didn't bother renewing my BMAA ticket...probably would have done if it had been cheaper. I've never had any intention of fishing any of the stillwaters.

I'm not expecting much TBH. But I thought I'd give it a go. At least it'll go before the AGM. I can't claim the idea though. I got that from @Richard Parsons FB post a few years ago.

I doubt I'll re-join next year, at £100 it's become too expensive Vs the fish I catch. Although I meet up with a friend who lives in Stoke, and will miss our get togethers. £50 or £60 and I'd probably re-join.

Newark isn't that much further time wise, but I dislike the journey from home, but there is fish up there.

I'm in a similar boat Simon. I didn't mange to persuade my mate to rejoin this year. I fished plenty in the summer through to early autumn. The result, zero barbel and a less than normal amount of chub. It's going to be hard to justify the cost of the ticket to myself next year.

The guest tickets are only a fiver which is ok, so you could perhaps meet your mate for a grayling session on the Dove. They are still there at least.

I wonder if the club would consider re-stocking some barbel.

I’m seriously considering dropping my BMAA card too Simon.I joined BM just for the barbel fishing on the Dove and up until about 4 years ago I had some great sessions on there,however,I haven’t fished the Dove for at least 3 years now and can’t see me fishing there again.When the Dove went “downhill”I turned to the Upper Trent and had some nice barbel off one of the BM sections but alas that has gone the same way as the Dove.Its such a shame the way the two rivers have gone,as to me they were fantastic “proper” barbel fisheries.
I do have a PA card (great value)and that will cover all my angling needs,so the £60 I save will keep me in bait etc for the foreseeable
Excuse me for asking Trevor but what club is 'PA'. I'm in Kent and been looking for a club to join up your way, Trent Valley Angling is one I'm thinking of but I would like to 'suss' out other clubs.

HI Simon - I'm a little late to the party on this one, and thanks for the FB reference to what I mentioned some time ago (re; the river-only ticket). They're (the BMAA) very much stuck with their ideas when it comes to membership retention. Don't know why as there seems to be a definite split between the river and stillwater anglers. By that I mean anglers who fish one type of water rarely fish the other.
I've been thinking of dropping my ticket but still reckon (probably over-optimistically) that there are still good fish to be had from both the Dove and the Upper Trent. I'm going to give it a couple more seasons, I think, as I really love the stretches. It's 90 minutes for me to get to either and the extra half hour to get to the 'middle' fills me with dread, to be perfectly honest. I've had a barbel from both rivers this season so far, from three sessions on the Dove and half a dozen on the Upper. Actually, going to try the Upper again this weekend (as the temps will be on the rise) but it depends on levels and also if I reckon I can get the camper to negotiate the probable wet field at Milton.
I set my expectations low nowadays, thus any fish is a bonus. Also trying homemade bait, though admittedly it's very difficult to gauge where there a very few fish about.
Good luck at the AGM!

Definitely check the levels before you travel Rich. It's properly flooded at the moment and there's a lot of rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

Don't know if anyone will be interested, but I've put a proposal forward to the BMAA committee asking for it to be heard at the upcoming AGM. The proposal is for a "river only" ticket to be added the the list of memberships available. There is a "canal only" ticket, so maybe we can have a "river only" one as well. Obviously I'll need a seconder for a vote to take place, so was just putting it out there in the hope that any BM members that are on here, might be interested enough to attend the AGM and stick their hands up.

I know @Richard Parsons mentioned this on the clubs FB page and got slaughtered for it, so I'm not expecting much. But if you don't ask,.....

The AGM is on the 18th March at 8pm at Kingstanding pools.

LOL. Well lets just say that the BMAA won't be having a river only ticket next season.

After looking at the Agenda when I first got there, I noticed my motion was missing from it. I had to have a word with the Secretary and Chairman and got them to add it to the agenda as it had been forgotten. Not a good start. Thanks to @Tom Mycroft for seconding my motion. (Nice to meet you Tom) Without him I doubt anyone else there would of done it. There was a discussion about why I'd asked, the topic wandered off slightly, as they do, and the room started to discuss other things. I then had to ask if we were actually going to vote on my motion, as it seemed unlikely at the time. A vote was held, and, well, err. If you only want to fish the river sections on the BMAA ticket, you're still going to have to pay the full price.

I didn't really expect to get a change. So in effect, I achieved my expectations, which is all you can do.

As an aside. Very strange AGM if I'm honest. Lots of people there, which was good, but very few question asked. A very large amount of money in the bank, but no one asked why the club needed to increase the ticket price last year when there was such a surplus in the account. The Match Secretary has been voted off the committee. He'd done a lot to bring matches back to the river, club and opens, even Riverfest matches on there. Not sure who's going to pick those up now.

Now that paying in day has been brought forward to the beginning of the year, and for those of us whose tickets run out mid year and will have to pay pro rata until Jan - Feb. I'll re-join for the six months and then that's it. It's a shame, but it's not worth it for me anymore.

They weren't interested, Joe. Even though I'd followed the correct procedure with regards putting a motion forward, and receiving confirmation that it would be heard at the AGM, it wasn't even included on the agenda. I gave my side of the argument, but they just said that anyone could ask for a ticket specific to a water they fish, and that it was un-workable, which I can understand to a certain extent. But there is a complete distinction between rivers and stillwaters, so not impossible to police.

I got the impression rivers are way down on the list of importance to BMAA. When swim maintenance, especially cutting back trees was mentioned, the room was told there was very little that could be done as the EA and landowners won't let the club cut any. When it was pointed out that swims are being lost because of it, they just shrugged their shoulders.

The match Secretary, who was also the vice Chairman, didn't get re-elected, which I also find strange.

All a bit surreal really.

They weren't interested, Joe. Even though I'd followed the correct procedure with regards putting a motion forward, and receiving confirmation that it would be heard at the AGM, it wasn't even included on the agenda. I gave my side of the argument, but they just said that anyone could ask for a ticket specific to a water they fish, and that it was un-workable, which I can understand to a certain extent. But there is a complete distinction between rivers and stillwaters, so not impossible to police.

I got the impression rivers are way down on the list of importance to BMAA. When swim maintenance, especially cutting back trees was mentioned, the room was told there was very little that could be done as the EA and landowners won't let the club cut any. When it was pointed out that swims are being lost because of it, they just shrugged their shoulders.

The match Secretary, who was also the vice Chairman, didn't get re-elected, which I also find strange.

All a bit surreal really.
There is nowt stranger than an Angling Club AGM. Incidentally how much is the ticket?

Evening Simon,

Well when you have done all you can in the proper manner and it's falling on deaf ears then it's time to walk away as you have decided. It sounds like a clique of Committee Members that just don't want anything to change and will make sure it doesn't.

Nice try, Simon - and thanks to Tom for seconding. It's a case of low expectations easily met.
I heard about the missing money and the former chairman's subsequent demise. Find it hard to believe. Though I didn't know the man (who shall remain nameless) personally, he was always very cordial (not the drink!) and affable. Also a former member of the Barbel Catchers Club, so I believe.
I'm not certain if I'll renew either, but may ditto Simon's plan.

Last edited:
Back