• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Burton Mutual.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
Is it worth having a BMAA ticket ??

I've been a member for about ten years now, and I know there are a few BM members on here too. I don't catch any Barbel on their waters, haven't had one for two seasons now. I don't get out as often as I probably should, but the thought of another fishless session doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm if I'm honest.

At £100 it's on the expensive side of ticket prices IMO. Ok if you catch now and again, but to sit there for session after session and blank, I think there are better value for money tickets available. It may mean travelling further afield but I can't see myself re joining next season.

I only fish their river sections other than Staunton Harold res once or twice a year.

Thoughts anyone ??

The same story for me really Simon. The upper Trent has gone the same way as the Dove. Just can’t find any Barbel.
I think I’ll also be looking further afield.
I only fish Oddstones in the close season but even that is difficult.

Morning Simon..
I'm also a BMAA member and thinking exactly the same but I've recently got to retirement age so my membership fee drops to £60
Like your self I don't fish there still waters but I do get enjoyment on there stretch of the River Dove mainly quiver tipping for chub but this winter I fully intend to trot for grayling on the Dove.
My mate & I have had some nice days trotting on the Trent at Cuttle brook to.
I agree about the Barbel fishing and if that's really all you want to fish for yes there are better cheaper tickets out there. I don't fish there waters for barbel these days and in fact do less barbel fishing year on year. I'm a member of Newark Piscatorials who have some nice water but only one area you can fish over night and another that you can fish till 10.30pm all other water is dawn till dusk. some areas are day ticket to so you could try before you buy a full membership. (£50 a season)

I've got a Scunthorpe ticket for Ladypit and the tidal. I'll probably get a Newark Piscatorial ticket next year. It means more time travelling for my fishing, which I detest, but at least there are Barbel up there.

It's a shame, as the Upper is only 30 minutes away and I can be fishing in 40 minutes of leaving home.

I've had a Scunthorpe ticket for a few years but dropped it the last couple but thinking of rejoining so as I can fish the tidal which I've never done.
Are there stretches good Simon ??

I've been a member for about ten years now, and I know there are a few BM members on here too. I don't catch any Barbel on their waters, haven't had one for two seasons now. I don't get out as often as I probably should, but the thought of another fishless session doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm if I'm honest.

At £100 it's on the expensive side of ticket prices IMO. Ok if you catch now and again, but to sit there for session after session and blank, I think there are better value for money tickets available. It may mean travelling further afield but I can't see myself re joining next season.

I only fish their river sections other than Staunton Harold res once or twice a year.

Thoughts anyone ??
It’s been said many time’s on here but the BAA takes some beating. There isn’t a lot of night fishing waters but you have a very wide choice of rivers and some decent still waters.
G.T.

I've had a Scunthorpe ticket for a few years but dropped it the last couple but thinking of rejoining so as I can fish the tidal which I've never done.
Are there stretches good Simon ??

IMO, Ladypit is worth the ticket price alone, although it does get very busy. Lots of Chub and a decent head of Barbel. I've only fished the tidal a few times and struggled if I'm honest, but haven't really given it a good go. Still learning Besthorpe, and haven't fished any other sections yet.

Thoughts anyone ??
The minute any of your fishing starts getting unenjoyable then bin it and move on.

Do you have a PA ticket Simon?

No I don't Joe.

I bought the BM ticket to fish the Dove, when that became hard I moved onto the Upper. I now find that very hard as well. I've fished the Upper Trent all my fishing life when there were matches on it. I now want an easier way of fishing than match fishing, hence the Barbel route. The BMAA river stretches are lovely to fish, I just don't catch any Barbel on them, and for the price of the BM ticket, I can get both the Scunny and Newark Pisco tickets.

If they did a river only ticket, I'd probably join again. Maybe I'll put a resolution in to the next AGM for one.

No I don't Joe.

I bought the BM ticket to fish the Dove, when that became hard I moved onto the Upper. I now find that very hard as well. I've fished the Upper Trent all my fishing life when there were matches on it. I now want an easier way of fishing than match fishing, hence the Barbel route. The BMAA river stretches are lovely to fish, I just don't catch any Barbel on them, and for the price of the BM ticket, I can get both the Scunny and Newark Pisco tickets.

If they did a river only ticket, I'd probably join again. Maybe I'll put a resolution in to the next AGM for one.
Newark Pisc is a good ticket. Some nice stretches.

I’m seriously considering dropping my BMAA card too Simon.I joined BM just for the barbel fishing on the Dove and up until about 4 years ago I had some great sessions on there,however,I haven’t fished the Dove for at least 3 years now and can’t see me fishing there again.When the Dove went “downhill”I turned to the Upper Trent and had some nice barbel off one of the BM sections but alas that has gone the same way as the Dove.Its such a shame the way the two rivers have gone,as to me they were fantastic “proper” barbel fisheries.
I do have a PA card (great value)and that will cover all my angling needs,so the £60 I save will keep me in bait etc for the foreseeable

Don't know if anyone will be interested, but I've put a proposal forward to the BMAA committee asking for it to be heard at the upcoming AGM. The proposal is for a "river only" ticket to be added the the list of memberships available. There is a "canal only" ticket, so maybe we can have a "river only" one as well. Obviously I'll need a seconder for a vote to take place, so was just putting it out there in the hope that any BM members that are on here, might be interested enough to attend the AGM and stick their hands up.

I know @Richard Parsons mentioned this on the clubs FB page and got slaughtered for it, so I'm not expecting much. But if you don't ask,.....

The AGM is on the 18th March at 8pm at Kingstanding pools.

I think it's a great idea and might even pay for itself as in the club would loose some income that all of us river anglers wouldn't be paying but then they might get a lot of new members on the river only ticket.. It's got to be better than just keep loosing members that only want to fish the rivers..

I think it's a great idea and might even pay for itself as in the club would loose some income that all of us river anglers wouldn't be paying but then they might get a lot of new members on the river only ticket.. It's got to be better than just keep loosing members that only want to fish the rivers..
Money always talks if a club can see they are going to lose money but an alternative is available to them to divert loses they would be very blinkered to oppose such a proposal.

Doing a little homework in preparing some projections to take to the AGM would be a good idea in this way the membership can see what they maybe voting for. With the cost of living issues clubs are losing members so a few facts and figures can often sway members in their vote. Obviously people can argue against any projections presented but without their own projections their arguement will never hold ground.

One of my local clubs has a separate membership for rivers etc and it seems to work okay, in fact I upgraded to full membership eventually so it can work both ways.

Best of luck with the AGM

Back