• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bull Huss

Pound for pound they aren't great fighters (although they do scrap a bit). You certainly know when you've got one on though and I can imagine you'd have your hands full with one on a beachcaster:D

Be careful on those rocks!

Mike

Sounds ok Mike, like you say, on a beach rod they should be a bit more lively :) just got to get LSDs out of my mind, they really are dismal little organisms :(

Thanks for the heads up on the marks Mike.

Simon - from the shore, i'd liken the fight of a decent bull huss to that of a big bream in a river. If you fancy getting your string pulled proper you could always nip up to Blackpool in the summer for the Smuts! :D Saying that, a big conger is always on the cards from the rocks.

New Brighton on the Wirral is also getting a name for itself as a smoothhound venue in the summer. Conger are catchable all year round on Anglesey from the deep water marks. Amlych harbour area, Cemaes Bay, Bull Bay, the breakwater at Holyhead and Treaddur always seem to produce.

Dress warm and keep safe. Take good lights and more clothes than you think are necessary. :D

Mike

Andrew/ Mike whats the shore fishing like up in the North West? Strong tides/weed/long casting ? or not ? i am just about addicted to Smoothounds, mostly up-tiding with light gear, some of the scraps from them are just epic :) I would love have a bash for them off the shore, my mate fishes the Selsey area on the South coast but weed makes things VERY tricky, ok if you live locally and can pester it, but a lot of hassle living 100 miles away :(

Hi Simon, you'll get weed on the line :( whenever there is (or has been recently) a strong blow, especially in the autumn. It is more of a problem when you are fishing in a rip, i.e. when there is a strong sideways tidal pull.
The coastline in the North west has the full variety of different venue types, from rocks and harbour walls (e.g. Anglesey / Lleyn peninsular) to estuaries (e.g. Dee, Mersey, Conway) and wide shallow bays.
The smoothound fishing around here is a bit of a novelty - they just appeared a few years back and visit every summer now.
If you wanted to visit the north-west to fish, I would concentrate on Anglesey / Lleyn peninsular. I would come in the late summer and go after the wrasse, conger and bass (you could add Tope to that list). The bass are around right now and good venues would be somewhere like Dinas Dinlle, Hells Mouth or Whistling sands. The wrasse are present in numbers almost everywhere rocky from May to October/Nov. They are a great fall-back if you are having problems with your target species as they fight like stink and are relatively easy to catch.:)
If you wanted to fish from a boat there are loads to choose from. Local specialities would be the tope, thornbacks and there are quite a few Blue shark :eek: caught every year out from the North Wales ports.

Kind regards

Mike

Thanks for all that Mike ;) Got to say that Angelsey is very appealing, i used to go every year on family holidays, loved the place, we had a little cottage near the foot of the highest point on the island, (climbed it one day with the old man)! I used to mess around fishing whenever i could, my favourite spot was the rocky outcrop at Trearddur bay, lots of Wrasse, happy days:)

Anglesey would be my choice too - lovely place, so much variety. Mike - when we get something organised it would be great if you could join us.

Hi Simon, Anglesey is indeed a lovely place, especially when the sun shines:D.

I suppose Oxford is an awkward place to live if you fancy a bit of sea fishing. There's some great cod fishing on the south coast in the winter and the Bristol channel, with it's winter sport, isn't too far away either.

Guys, pm me when you get something planned and I'll come along if I can. In the meantime, if I can help with anything at all, then pm me.
Kind regards

Mike

"Sounds good mate! We should definately plan a trip for April/May as it gives us a good chance of several species of ray aswell as the big Huss, big Bass will be another option! That's the thing about Angelsey - so much to go at - i love it!"

:)
I would go as late in spring as you are able. Only because, if there is unseasonably cold weather, then the likes of the mackerel, wrasse, coalfish, pollack etc will be further out to sea and the cod will have gone and you risk a blank. Secondly, I would get a day on a boat booked. You can often join a larger charter group if you speak with the skipper. I would go out from Amlwch, Holyhead or Beaumaris. Thornbacks are common from the boats in spring, but less common perhaps on the shore at this time of year.

A day on a boat and a day on the rocks. If it's too windy for the boat then you choose your shore venue based on the wind direction and comfort. At this time of year (late spring) on the shore, you can reasonably expect to catch whiting, codling, pollack, dogfish :) and early wrasse. If you're fortunate, then almost anything is possible - I have caught large octopus (4 foot long!), cuckoo wrasse and have heard of other exotics caught.

Also, there's always a chance of a bass, but in spring the options are limited (limited, but still real, with directions). If you are really targeting bass then you should go in the autumn, however.:cool:

Mike

I like the idea of a day on a boat and a day from the shore. Not sure about my sea legs though!

Mike - i got tangled in a 4lb lobster on Anglesey once, not an easy thing to get hold of! How do you go about unhooking a 4' Octopus! :eek:

Hi Chaps,

Cornwall was a write off for Huss; the mark that i was hoping to fish (eastern gear on rame head) was a bugger to walk down to without fishing gear:( and not safe to fish alone, so i gave up on the idea and fished the beach 100 yrds from the cottage for whiting and pollock. :)

Looking forward to a huss trip on anglesey if its on the cards. The good lady wife needs to visit her sister nr Shrewsbury, so could drop her and the kids off and tank it up on a friday if it suits.

Also managed to hear of a few other spots in n.somerset, which i might try in the coming weeks (porlock/minehead area).

Some very interesting info whilst i was away.

Great pic Andrew.

Here are some from the bristol channel out of penarth; unfortunately there are no shore marks closer to home, although i'm sure the odd huss will get around sand point nr weston-super-mare. The nearest deeper shore marks are near minehead, which is still 2 plus hrs from me.

http://www.anchormancharters.co.uk/bull-huss-fishing-photos.html

cheers all

Paul

Last edited:
How do you go about unhooking a 4' Octopus! :eek:
Fortunately it fell off - it wasn't hooked, it just wouldn't let go of my bait. Amazing colour changes as it sat on the rock next to me. Then it kind of sidled off and slithered back in to the sea. I didn't fancy getting to grips with it - it's head was about the same size as a grapefruit and I know they have a parrot's beak for a mouth.:eek:

Looking forward to a huss trip on anglesey if its on the cards. The good lady wife needs to visit her sister nr Shrewsbury, so could drop her and the kids off and tank it up on a friday if it suits.

Crickey you're keen! It's definately on the cards Paul, don't know about everyone else but i think it might be best left on the backburner until spring if we're to have a realistic chance of a Big Huss. Codling would be a better option and no need for me to drive so far as i've herd good reports coming from the Meresey estuary recently. Great news as the last couple of winters have been pretty poor.

Andrew,

No worries, i'll look forward to a spring trip. Sounds like it could be a good social with the chance of some nice fish.:)

In the meantime, i'll carry on doing some research.

Forgot to mention that Ty Croes is producing one or two big huss; may still make a November trip. :)

cheers

Paul

Last edited:
Still up for it?

Might be worth thinking about planning a Huss trip soon - get the digs sorted! Late March/early April on Anglesey anyone?

Andy,

Should be okay, but i'm on family hols with kids from 9th April for one week, so end of march or end april would be better for me.

Paul

Either or for me Paul, any preference John?

Are we still thinking a couple of days, and is anyone restricted to weekends only? Too much shore to explore in a few days but are either of you thinking about booking a boat for one of the days? I'm happy to keep my feet on firm ground! :eek:

Back