• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bull Huss

Paul Hiom

Hi all,

Anyone got any experience with the Huss; i'm off down to s. east cornwall next week half term and fancy having a go for them. There is a mark nr where we are staying that is reported to give up the odd fish.:)

Planning on using 80lb pulley rigs, 6/0 hooks 30lb main line just in case of conger.:eek:

Would love to hear from anyone who has targeted these cracking fish.

Paul

Hi Paul,

In the last few years i've had a few attempts at targetting these stunning fish from the North Wales coast. Late March, early April is supposedly the time to target the biggies so they provide a nice diversion for me between the rivers closing and the start of the Tenching! I've only limited experience but from what i've learnt the gear you are planning to use sounds fine. On the North Wales coast the advice is to look for deepwater rock marks, and fish at night! During the trips i've had i've tended to fish a simple running rig as i'm generally fishing on clean sand between big rocks. Traces have been made from 50lb nylon covered wire, not sure this is necassary, although Huss do have a decent set of teeth - but the marks do occasionally through up a big Tope! That's what the locals use so when in Rome as they say! Bait wise i've only ever used fish baits - mackerel fillets, blueys and such like if it has to be shop bought although i rate a fresh bait above a frozen one.

I didn't make a trip this year but you've just wet my appetite for another come spring! Cheers Paul, here's my best effort to date - not in the same league as the 20lb+ specimens the areas produce but as you can see i was quite happy with it! :)
picture.php

I've put this one in for a sense of scale as the previous pic doesn't do it justice!
picture.php

Would love to hear how you get on, and also form any other anglers who are interested in the species.

Andrew,

That is a stunning fish mate, what lovely colours. Around 12lb at a guess?:eek:

I find the variation in colours from different venues fascinating, ranging from dark brown, slate grey and that light sandy colour of yours.

I was thinking of using a running conger type rig on one rod and a pulley on the other to see which one brings me back the most lead. ;)

From what ive read on the species, October to January gives the best chance of a good fish, but i'm just at the reading up stage at present; ive not fished for them yet. I'm planning to fish the Rame Head area nr Cawsand where we are staying for the half term week. I'm told that the odd good huss gets caught from the area along with conger and bass.

Ive read a bit by Mike Thrussel, who tends to fish the Lleyn Peninsula up in North Wales for Huss. Ive heard that Ty Groes is also good on Anglesey. I'll have to plan a trip up that way at some stage. There are some very good Huss in the bristol channel as well, but most of the marks are out at sea in deep water, although Minehead is rumoured to turn up a few from the shore.

If i am lucky enough to catch one, i'll let you know. Thanks for replying mate.

Paul

Didn't weigh it, but i always hoped it was a double! I guess the pale colouration comes from the sandy sea bed in the area - lovely fish to look at, well worth catching! ;)

If you where planning a trip upto Angelsey try Bull Bay or take a charter out out of Almwch.
Ive not been for 3 summers know but it always produced numbers of Huss upto about 14-15lb.
We used to use an 80lb trace which seemed to cope with the rough pads and also the odd Conger or Tope that was picked up.

John,

Thanks for the info mate, certainly looks like some good fish come from the area.

Si, we'll discuss at the next opportunity; we could probably tank up there at some stage for a few days. I'll do some more homework on the subject when i get a bit of time after the half term hols. :)

cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know what happened their chaps, Simons post got deleted, probably by me unless a blip happened. Weird. :-(

Was going to add that we could perhaps meet up with Andrew if he's up for it.

Paul

Last edited:
Andrew,

We'll have to try and arrange something in the next few months and/or spring.:D

I have the Wirral site on my favorites when i was looking at different cod rigs a while back; really useful site. I'll have to give it another read. I also found a site that gives some of the Lleyn venues. North Wales definitely seems to be a good general area. :)

http://www.nwsa.ukf.net/list/lleyn.htm

Si, i definitely deleted your post; sorry. I pushed the edit button and not reply. :eek::eek::eek:

Paul

Thanks for the link Paul, i hadn't come across that site before. Looking through briefly it seems they have april/may as the best months for Huss. The thing i really like on the Wirral site is the venues section of the forum. Very detailed directions to some of the best marks in the area. For example - here's the discription of Bull Bay which John mentioned. :D http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5569

Now that's what i call info! Some of the marks detailed would take an angler years to find on their own. Good on them sea fishing chaps!

John - do you fancy dusting off the beachcasters? I'm sure we could squeeze 4 onto that rock!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Paul, i hadn't come across that site before. Looking through briefly it seems they have april/may as the best months for Huss. The thing i really like on the Wirral site is the venues section of the forum. Very detailed directions to some of the best marks in the area. For example - here's the discription of Bull Bay which John mentioned. :D http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5569

Now that's what i call info! Some of the marks detailed would take an angler years to find on their own. Good on them sea fishing chaps!

John - do you fancy dusting off the beachcasters? I'm sure we could squeeze 4 onto that rock!

Defo mate,especially in the close season.
I have a mate who has a static on the island if we wanted to make a weekend out of it

Andrew,

We'll have to try and arrange something in the next few months and/or spring.:D

I have the Wirral site on my favorites when i was looking at different cod rigs a while back; really useful site. I'll have to give it another read. I also found a site that gives some of the Lleyn venues. North Wales definitely seems to be a good general area. :)

http://www.nwsa.ukf.net/list/lleyn.htm

Si, i definitely deleted your post; sorry. I pushed the edit button and not reply. :eek::eek::eek:

Paul

Super Moderator :D :D :D

Sounds good mate! We should definately plan a trip for April/May as it gives us a good chance of several species of ray aswell as the big Huss, big Bass will be another option! That's the thing about Angelsey - so much to go at - i love it! :)

Miz,

Cant open it up at work, will have a look later. have you seen the clip with the young lad and his dad boat fishing. The lad catches a nice huss and it's trying to twist up and bite the lads arm; the dad is peeing himself laughing. Made me chuckle. :)

Paul

Vertigo

Hmmm, not sure if i fancy a combined fishing/absailing trip either Simon! Made me feel a bit dizzy watching that! :eek:

Paul - i've got a picture at home of me releasing that fish and it's doing the same thing - twisting up to try and bite me! I'll post it when i get home! :)

" aaaarrggghhh! Don't bite me! I'm putting you back! " - trying to avoid loosing fingures!
picture.php

Might have given the venue away there! Holyhead Breakwater - no mountaineering skills required here, it's fish from the back of your car type stuff! Having said that it's better to set up at the front of the car, then if it rains ( which it will ) you can get in and watch the rods from the comfort of the car!!!!!

Last edited:

"That sounds more like it They look awful like a bigger version of an LSD to me. hopefully not !!"

That's exactly what they are! They are the Greater Spotted Dogfish - GSD.

You get loads of them if you fish the boats in Liverpool bay from May/June on. I have had four or five in a session, all over 10lbs, with the biggest going about 14lb.
Not tried for them off the coast, but I would recommend Point Lynas, Wylfa Head and the Treaddur Bay area (the Lilypond mark or Raven's point). These are my favourite deep water marks on Anglesey, although Holyhead breakwater is a damn good standby.
Grab them with two hands or you risk having the skin removed from your hand or forearm. Like lsd's, they twist around and try to rub their skin backwards along your arm. They are a very powerful fish and they used to make emery paper out of their skin.:)

All the best

Mike

Last edited:
Back