• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

budget rod to buy?

called a them a few times this afternoon and kept going into an orange answer phone..suspect its one of those too good to be true and they are showing the wrong rod picture etc
still seems sensible to get a rod with 2 different size tips

just noticed they have 84 bad feedback in the last month alone and a fair few neutrals..will steer clear of them..it just dont all add up at that price sadly

Last edited:
called a them a few times this afternoon and kept going into an orange answer phone..suspect its one of those too good to be true and they are showing the wrong rod picture etc
still seems sensible to get a rod with 2 different size tips

just noticed they have 84 bad feedback in the last month alone and a fair few neutrals..will steer clear of them..it just dont all add up at that price sadly

I've a funny feeling also Simon, not been able to communicate with them either by phone or e-mail [as yet !]...I'm going to try and call in tomorrow if you want me to keep you posted drop me a PM with a mobile number...Have you noticed that the price has gone up a tenner...I'm sure they were £59.95 this morning !!!!...:confused:

evening Bill
yup I noticed the price increase too, if you look back at the 8 that have sold the price seems to go up a tenner every time they sell one
might be genuine but something is telling me otherwise..have just ordered one through amazon from another place to be safe

Better safe than sorry Simon....hope you get a bend in the new rod soon..

Going at a good price in the classified lads, and from a genuine seller!!

I'm using a pair of Rogue's. £110 for the pair, caught my first barbel on them last weekend and they performed extremely well. I felt confident in the fight, a pleasure to use.

That said i'm hearing good things about the neoterics....

ended up getting the wychwood maximiser 1.75lb and also the daiwa theory 1.75lb
had the first outing yesterday with them both set up with identical gear and caught on both much preferred the daiwa over the wychwood seemed much better balanced and more feedback once the fish was on.
Only my opinion though:rolleyes:

Just bought a Shakespear mach 2 xt Barbel rod, 12ft, twin tip, 10 rings, and although the test curve is not stated I would say it is about 1.75lb. It comes with a bag and an oval tube. From my local tackle shop, with no add on's for P&P, it set me back £44.95. I have never been a tackle tart, far from it, but it does look good, and I hope to get it bent this evening.

Well I got it bent with a 4.5lb chub, and a 7.2lb barbel from the Rother, and it behaved exceptionally well. I don't think you could better it for the money.

I've just bought what I consider to be a right bargain.

Sonik SK3 Pro Specimen,it comes in three different test curves all with a solid top and a variety of quiver tips. I bought the 2lb tc model and have to say that for the bargain basement price of 49.99 plus p&p, its ticking all the boxes.

i just got the 1.75/2lb wychwood maximiser off ebay for 59.99 plus postage new

Think I read somewhere that Sports Direct had signed a deal with Dragon Carp to market fishing tackle through Sports Direct outlets.

Back