• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

budget rod to buy?

Simon Georgiou

any advice on a budget rod?
fishing the wye at the moment using a jw/ray walton 1.6 TC which seems to work nicely, tried my avon lighter rods and a tench rod and there next to useless, so guess im looking for a 1.75 TC or something?
just wondered if anyone had rods they have used and would recommend for under £100ish or pros and cons?

thanks in advance

i must admit, money being a little tight for me right now and needing something decent to swing 3+oz's out, if i had the funds, I'd buy a 2lbtc torrix but this rod caught my eye, you can pick em up for under £100.
specimen30plus.com -

Look at Chapmans angling or anyone else that sells Ron Thompson rods. For the price you can't go wrong!

Also the Drennan Red range are amazing.

Keith

i looked at the ron thompson rods but go outdoors are doing one for £9.99 which kinda sends me the wrong signals..thats like the price of 4 cage feeders surely they cant be much cop?

Make your own feeders and buy a slightly more expensive rod ! £2-50 a pop for feeders could equal a very expensive day on some sections of The Wye !
I think that the Korum 3G range gets some good reviews ! Wychwood also have their fans and make some nice budget rods too !

My advice - keep an eye on the classified sections of websites such as this. My last seven rod purchases have been from here and I've been delighted with the price and condition of them all.

The Korum Twin Top Power is worth a look. Can be picked up for roughly between £89-£99. The heavier 2.2tc top copes nicely when the Wye is running high, while the 1.75tc top fine for everyday stuff.

You won't beat Graham's link, if it is the maximiser and they don't do many others, they are normally £100 or more and not much betters Wychwood when it comes to fairly priced, great performing carbon rods.

Dave. Yes the now Defunct Kings in the High Street.

I visited the place to pick up something they didn't yet have so be a bit careful.......

Now hear someone bought the lot!!!!;):D

Graham

Last edited:
Dave. Yes the now Defunct Kings in the High Street.

I visited the place to pick up something they didn't yet have so be a bit careful.......

Now hear someone bought the lot!!!!;):D

Graham

i know i cannot afford it but i have ordered a daiwa infinity 2.25....ouch...:eek:
oh, well, it's beans on toast tonight.:rolleyes:

Back