• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bristol Channel Cod

Bob,

You'll have to pop down (if you have time) when we fish the point in the coming months. We may be able to pursuade you into having a go. You seriously couldnt have a better mark to have 1 mile from your home.:)

atb

Paul

Fantastic day cod fishing on the spring tides. Nothing big to report but three of us started early on a high water mark on the upper channel and took a couple of codling, before heading to a low water mark to fish the outgoing and incoming 2nd tide later in the day. On the walk down to the low water mark, we were given a real treat when a peregrine falcon swooped down only just missing out on a smaller bird for his lunch. The low water mark produced around 30 codling for the three of us, with the odd silver eel and a nice small bass. Most of the codling were on or above the keeper limit, but most also went back. Biggest fish went only 3lbs ish, but great sport. Successful baits were squid tipped blow and black lug and small fillets of bluey.

The new rods (shimano catana surf LDs) and reels (abu 7000i C3s) were spot and a bit of early caution with the centrifugal brake blocks meant that i could build up my casting until i got my confidence. I wouldnt say i was casting to the moon, but i was throwing out the leads at lot less cautiously and in a bit more comfort by the end of the day and only got one slight overun, which i picked out in a matter of seconds, luckily.

Really looking foward to the next trip and a very very big thank you to Mr Davies and his father for a memorable days fishing in the best company. :)

Paul

Last edited:
Well done paul! that sounds like an excellent trip!, there are a few getting caught down here in kent now but nowhere the numbers you are getting! bait wise cuttle seems to be the one at the moment, but the big old black lug/squid combination will always give you a good chance of nabbing one! Hoping for calm weather on the 25th so i can finally get out afloat to have a go at em!:D:D

Thanks Barry,

I think we were lucky, i dont remember getting numbers of fish like that back in the mid 90's. Hopefully a good sign for the coming years if people dont take too many for the pot. Just got to try and find the slightly better stamp of fish; they are there somewhere. We'll be back!!:D

Good luck on the 25th mate and let us know how you get on.
Paul

Was certainly a great day out Paul! Not quite normal either, although luck is but a small part! Hopefully the next set of tides will bring some bigger fish too, fingers crossed. I'm away next week, but will be thinking of a session ASAP after that!

Andy

Andy,

Looking forward to the next trip; although off myself on 23rd for a week.

Catch up after.:)

all the best and regards to your dad.

Paul

Well got out afloat on the 25th but it was a bitter dissapointment! only one cod on the boat between the five of us! two other boats out, one had no cod the other had 6! the cod have not arrived down here in kent yet! hopefully a few big blows will bring them in because the trawlers are getting plenty! one boat had a months quota in a day!!!. Next trip on the 25th november hopefully they will be here in numbers by then.

Barry,

At least you got out mate, they may be there next time. Fish location is just a tad more difficult in the open seas isnt it? Here one day and gone the next.

Hopefully out on the channel again on friday pm. Some very good thornbacks coming out of the channel at the moment, but hopeful of some better cod.

atb

Paul

Out on the channel again last friday, but it was a bit wet and windy which made it a bit tricky fishing from rocks, especially after dark. Managed a couple of very small codling, but it was hard work. Think Mr Davies and his father had a few keepers, so the fish are there still. Good fun though even though we were soggy. :)

Paul

Yep plenty of fish about locally, no "proper" cod yet but its early days yet. I had 3 short sessions over the weekend, and had 20 codling and 1 rockling - biggest only around 2.5 lb though.

Andy

Yes paul, the ones that are being caught are of a good size, mainly on live whiting! i cant get down there at the moment as i am snowed in!!!!:(:(

Typical Barry,

The cod on the channel have spread out and a bit more difficult to catch. I think they may be avoiding the areas mud/sand that are exposed in daytime as the cold weather will be putting the lug etc down, plus the sprats have definitely moved in judging by reports. I think they may be in deeper water, so we may have to look at the deeper marks next trip out. Got a boat trip to look forward to in december. :D Still feel ive a lot to learn about where fishes on the channel best on what tides. It's a minefield isnt it. :eek:

atb

Paul

Paul,

Giving some thought to next friday 10th, HW @ 22:08, 11.6m... Too big for Battery?

Or Sunday 12th - Morning tide will be busy but HW at 23:32 (10.5m)...

speak soon!

Andy

Andy,

Might be worth a try, 11.6 not too big, but will still limit us to about 1hr after hw as battery is seriuosly problematic on the ebbing tide from memory (which aint much good these days). Will do some diggin.

Paul

Andy,

Reckon that will be okay at battery. ;) Defo okay for the friday, not sure about the sunday as may be out for youngest b'day.

Paul

Back