• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bristol Channel Cod

Paul Hiom

Any Cod fishers out there?

Looking to put in at least one session a month and maybe more fishing the shore for the Cod. Havent fished it for around 15 years, but quite keen to give it another go.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Used to do a lot of beach casting on the channel before i got back into coarse and then fly fishing, not done any this year but it's almost time!;) The big fish can turn up anywhere although usually higher up the channel at the beginning of the season with them spreading further down later on, guess they're just following the food. I dont tend to use worm baits and stick with full squid on a 4/0 pulley pennel, fish two rods, lob one close in and fish one as far as you can. Also before reeling in to change baits have a baited rig ready so you can swap the old one for the fresh one with a simple rig clip, the longer the baits in, the more chance there is of them finding it!:cool:

The next couple of months are normally good for a few Ray, plus a chance of a big Conger or Bass, funny this came up, i nearly went today with low water being late morning, wish i had now!:rolleyes:

Good luck,

Graham

Graham,

Next time you get the urge, give me a shout and i'll pop down for a session. Still got to purchase some reels, as i sold all my gear last time, but have most other things.

Used to fish black lug on a pulley pennell or straight running leger pennell depending on where i was fishing.

Thanks for reply.

Paul

It appears they are starting to show, this fish at 13lb 8oz taken(and returned) today. Perhaps i should've gone after all!:D

Attachments

• 13lb8ozcod5-9-2010.jpg
    13lb8ozcod5-9-2010.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 246
Graham,

Nice fish.

Is that the point? It looks familiar. My best from there was 17lb on the nose, but i always made the mistake of fishing the mark for too long and losing leads and tackle on the outgoing tide.

Used to do the same and make up a rig ready for a re-cast every 30 mins or so for each rod. With the two rods, it worked out i was casting every 15 mins. Mustad do a support bar for their tripods. It has three clips for attaching made up rigs, which looks useful.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/emea/product.php?id=1420

Looking to get some new reels, but undecided what to buy. If i was better at controlling the line without a level wind i'd probably go for two slosh 20s, but i also prefer to left wind, which means i'm a bit restricted as the sloshes dont come in lefties and same with Okuma Magnetix 20LS. The new Chinese Abu 7000s dont look as robust as the old swedish made ones. Cant afford the 525 Penns. Quandry!!!

cheers for now

Paul

Last edited:
Got 2 6500 sports rockets you can have for group discount ;) complete with either CT or level wind frames, right footers though !

Si,

Unfortunately 6500s are too small for the channel. I had 6500s before and they just havent got the guts for all the **** you have to cope with, tides, rough ground, big leads, occasional conger etc. Otherwise i would have bitten your hand off. :)

Paul

Yeah i know what you mean, IMO you should go Penn route rather than new ABU 7000, no comparison, there is a new 525 out now so you could probably get a deal on the old mag, get the one with the extra magnet kit though, they are a bit 'lively' till you get used to them :)

Si,

Yeah the new 525s and 515s look nice, they want £150 each for them on monster. :-(

Just checked out Crustys cod pics on WSF (as above). Defintely the point and now i'm itching to get down there. :)

Paul

I use a Mag elite(the old green one, before they started drilling holes in em) a 7500C3 and a Rocket as a backup reel, as for rods 2X Daiwa 129PM's love the setup and cant imagine changing it. I have a Silstar Traverse X 2-4oz i use for "hold the rod" light Bass stuff too, although it needs a good airing, been WAY too long! Might take it to cornwall at the end of the month:D

Damn, i'm getting excited now too!:eek:

Ooh the cod are coming!! off to dungeness next week for a boat trip to see if any have arrived yet! it was a good season last year and the one before down here in kent, and i am hoping for a few more this year off the beach and the boats!!:D:D:D

Barry,

You lucky sod. :D Have a great time and if you catch loads, keep it to yourself, we dont want to know. ;) he,he!!

Graham, getting excited at the prospect of cod, i need some reels (and a tripod) and i'm away.

atb

Paul

Well my boat trip was blown off! fished dungeness beach instead, it was blowing 29 mph wsw, only had small whiting but saw one chap get two bass, no cod caught, but there was large amounts of shellfish being washed up, also found a live lugworm that had been washed out of the wormbeds it was huge! put it on the hook with great expectations, and caught the smallest whiting of the day!!!:) Cant be long before the cod arrive now, perhaps the next set of spring tides.:D:D

Barry,

Shame about the trip, i was looking forward to hearing about it. The cod seem to have arrived in the BC, with some good catches of codling and the odd double cod. I'm almost set up with rods and reels etc, just need a tripod, bait and an opportunity to get out. Have a long day session sorted in a few weeks, fishing a spring tide highwater mark early AM and late PM, with a low water mark in between; cant wait.

Paul

Post a report up after your trip paul, i am eager to hear how it went, still not many cod about down here in kent, sea a bit too warm i think!:D

Very good catches of cod being caught by the boats out of Portishead and Cardiff/Penarth. We had fish to 7lb from the severn bridges 2 weeks ago Barry.

Lovely stuff! I have another boat booked from dungy on the 25th october so hopefully the cod will have moved into kent by then!:D:D

Barry,

Will do mate. Need to find a field for a bit of casting practise, loaded the 7000ic3s with cheap line to practise with as i havent used a multi for donkeys.

Off to Rame Head area at the end of october, but hoping for a good huss.

cheers for now

Paul

Looked peachy at Battery this morning (a mile away).
Maybe one day.........I have an 1970's ABU 7000 which is still going strong.
Cheers
Bob

Sugar Loaf is fishing well Bob...thats even closer!

Back