• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Brightest Isotopes

Chris Cheshire

I've had mixed success buying isotopes. I'd appreciate some recommendations of brand and colour that give the brightest result...

Thanks in advance
Chris

Hi Anthony,
I fish into dark a lot. It's more cost effective to use an isotope for me, I heatshrink them to the rid top so they never get lost!

Gotta agree with anthony i used to use isotopes but found them all a bit dim then went over to useing red/pink starlight types which i used to get by the box from somewhere 500 for less than an isotope and you can see them without squinting.
Andy

I must say I have had my drennans for what must be 8 years now! I still find them plenty bright enough and they have never flicked off on the cast (I must be lucky!). Maybe I got a particularly good set? I do always use a clip one size too large and push it down the rod tip a couple of inches, just so it pinches, this has the effect that whenever the inevitable happens and the line wraps around the isotope it tends to pull forward and spin rather than flick off.

Now I've said all this sods law i'll lose one first cast tonight!

My pal put me onto these I like them as they have a life span of 12 hours and super bright making them ideal for night sessions

( twice as bright as any isotope )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-G...635855&hash=item3f5580dea4:g:kwkAAOSw~bFWH99X

I've had those in the past, you can get two or even three consecutive nights out of them. They tend to dim a little then get brighter after rod tip movement in landing a fish so might not be so good on some rivers. :D

If they're too bright they screw up your vision, which is why I prefer isotopes. That said I found the red or blue starlights easier on the eyes.

i've always used drennans with no problems. Some other isotopes (more expensive) have not been as good

If you use glowsticks, as already mentioned, to get longer life bung em in the freezer after a session, soemtimes I manage 3 sessions from one "Lidl" glowstick.

Dave

Peter, they will fit rods with a diameter of between 3.3mm and 3.7mm, all rods are different near the tip end, if there a bit loose, you can either use a bit of masking tape around the rod before attaching, or just slide them down the rod to a thicker bit. :)

Why isotopes, Chris? Mini glowsticks* are as cheap as chips and extremely bright these days plus you won't be crying in your beer if one flies off into the river on a cast. Plus, isotopes do fade over the years. Just a thought.

*I use these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOW-FISH...K-MINI-FISHING-LURES-LARGE-LURES/222533056985

Two rods with a pair on each, for twenty-five nighttime sessions for £6.45...seems a very cost-effective way to fish.

Curious so ordered some of these and played with one earlier; Jesus it illuminated the whole garage, I'll been seen for miles around on the Severn :D

Watch out for boats Neil ! Don't forget that red is port side and green starboard...might help you to remember which way to jump :D

Back