• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Brazen Otter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some on here seem to think that before otters were reintroduced catching Barbel on all rivers was "easy fishing" I can assure them that it wasn't, on some it was hard but enjoyable, now those hard waters have become almost impossible.

It would also seem that these posters want the fishing for all to be difficult with no easy fishing, I don't understand why.

Dave brilliant post :)

Don't remember anyone requesting harder fishing Graham? I am however happy for fishing to be harder if it means a better environment for all life, I don't believe we have define right over the rivers.

Interestingly, John Bailey touches on this difficult and emotive subject in this weeks Angler's Mail and he is going to cover it in more detail when he presents at the Barbel Show on May 4th. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Don't remember anyone requesting harder fishing Graham? I am however happy for fishing to be harder if it means a better environment for all life, I don't believe we have define right over the rivers.

Neither do I Rhys, however I do recall posts referring to easy fishing. I don't understand the highlighted section of your post, it has been mentioned on this thread that if other things were put right the fishing would be better and otters wouldn't be such a problem ( I don't disagree with parts of that) but you would be happy for the fishing to be harder if there was a "better environment for all life", the two just do not match.

Mr Oxymoron,

I always try to post about issues rather than people and personalities and I believe everybody is entitled to an opinion no matter how daft I personally think it is. Therefore I try no to get into the name calling exchanges that occasionally erupt on BFW.

However I am going to make an exception for you just this once.

You are a self opinionated, offensive, pompous windbag.

Steve

Really? Mr Oxymoron, you have singled me out previously Steve, and then you finish with that little rant, because I feel that as Anglers we should not take the law into our own hands by killing Otter, that was the point I was making, don't bury it under childish name calling, just argue the point I am wrong, if you can, whilst keeping it civil.

Neither do I Rhys, however I do recall posts referring to easy fishing. I don't understand the highlighted section of your post, it has been mentioned on this thread that if other things were put right the fishing would be better and otters wouldn't be such a problem ( I don't disagree with parts of that) but you would be happy for the fishing to be harder if there was a "better environment for all life", the two just do not match.

Obviously fishing will be harder with predators than without, more competition, also with better habitat management you're going to get more cover etc meaning less easy swims, that sort of thing.

Although I could edit each thread, I strongly believe in self moderation by the poster - either before or after the event.
For me to go through each of the 'guilty' posts and edit them is not my idea of fun - especially on a bank holiday.
Think before you post/write and hit the reply button - failing that you can always edit your own post.
So up to you folks. Be good and respect each other.
Salutations,
Bob

Mr Oxymoron,

I always try to post about issues rather than people and personalities and I believe everybody is entitled to an opinion no matter how daft I personally think it is. Therefore I try no to get into the name calling exchanges that occasionally erupt on BFW.

However I am going to make an exception for you just this once.

You are a self opinionated, offensive, pompous windbag.

Steve

Steve as you say we are all entitled to our own opinion even if you dont agree with them ? and you say no matter how daft you think you personally think they may be ?
So how daft is to suggest as you said earlier and I quote
'' We do the business our selves ''

Joe,

I don't think its daft at all. I firmly believe that the best people to look after angling are the anglers themselves at club level. That is what my local club does, membership is rising, species diversity is good, fishing is productive for those prepared to put in the effort.....all is well.

I hear horror stories from others on here whose enjoyment is compromised because of a species imbalance and have merely suggested they do the same as my local club.

No national body, no matter if it be government agency or AT, will ever achieve as much as quickly as small clubs who know their own patch manned by volunteers looking after their own interests

Steve

A point I made in a previous post that was conveniently ignored. Didn't matter then of course
as the specimen fishing was great.

I wouldn't say any points are ignored Rhys, but the impact otters have made on some (usually smaller) rivers has been immediate and devastating. Human nature dictates that these situations will provoke a more instant reaction than a long term problem slowly eroding the quality of river fishing.

For anyone who fishes the larger rivers that have not suffered the rapid decline due to predation that smaller rivers have, you are vey lucky.

Steve,
Yes I agree with all that too., but the reason that the discussion on here took a turn for the worse was that you inferred that doing the business ourselves was taking care of the Otter. You talk of species inbalance, I assume that is from a Anglers perspective, but to assume that Anglers have a right to decide what lives or dies to protect the fact that we fish purely for sport, to me is plain wrong.

I would rather have the rivers as they are rather than have some body manage them like some commercial pond, but as said perhaps the real threat is not the Otter but very much the Human.

However what any club you belong to seeks to do what they feel is justified then that is for them, however any such talk on a Forum such as this about illegal culling will serve to damage the image of Angling.

Neil,

Where can we talk then if not on a forum such as this? Where are we supposed to air our views in this politically correct world that we have allowed to happen. Should we gather in secret like a witches coven lest we are discovered and burnt at the stake.

I for one will not do this. I will speak my mind and judging from some of the responses on here I am not alone in my views. One thing I am NOT and that is afraid to speak my mind because some nameless PETA freak may find me and do me harm.

Steve,

Neil,

Where can we talk then if not on a forum such as this? Where are we supposed to air our views in this politically correct world that we have allowed to happen. Should we gather in secret like a witches coven lest we are discovered and burnt at the stake.

I for one will not do this. I will speak my mind and judging from some of the responses on here I am not alone in my views. One thing I am NOT and that is afraid to speak my mind because some nameless PETA freak may find me and do me harm.

Steve,

Steve just like every one else you are free to speak your mind . Dont be surprised when people speak their mind and dont agree with what you say .
Just because some one dont agree with what you say , You have to resort to name calling ?

Steve just like every one else you are free to speak your mind . Dont be surprised when people speak their mind and dont agree with what you say .
Just because some one dont agree with what you say , You have to resort to name calling ?

I am afraid the name calling started way before Steves post, (see below not the only example I stress) lets get back to this interesting and enjoyable totally pointless debate.

I stand on the right side of the law, always have done always will. Just because you have a couple of muppets agree that unlawfully killing otters and by posting things like trap em kill em gives you a tiny bit pf machismo doesn't make it right.

well well, contrary to opinions i think this thread has been conducted rather well
considering some in the past and to everyone posting their THOUGHTS here
my heartiest congratulations:)
at the end of the day its people posting their thoughts on here and nothing more
as for angling image please tell me who apart from anglers and their families give a hoot about us, nobody thats who so why should we care about what people who dont care about our past time worry what they think.

Because if they find us to be slaughtering otters, or even wanting to, they will start giving a hoot, but not in a nice way.

well well, contrary to opinions i think this thread has been conducted rather well
at the end of the day its people posting their thoughts on here and nothing more
as for angling image please tell me who apart from anglers and their families give a hoot about us, nobody thats who so why should we care about what people who dont care about our past time worry what they think.[/QUOTE]

Spot on again John, our image is a figment of imagination, ours.

as for angling image please tell me who apart from anglers and their families give a hoot about us, nobody thats who so why should we care about what people who dont care about our past time worry what they think.[/QUOTE]

Spot on again John, our image is a figment of imagination, ours.

Sounds like a lovely bromance:D

Sounds like a lovely bromance:D

Nick, I don't know John as I don't know many at all on here, however I do agree with some of the things that he posts, when I do I will on occasion post that I do, its called support for the views of another, something I have seen before on here, nothing wrong with it in my view. insert smilie thing here.

Can I ask a question? if you (anyone) had a fishery, still or running water that you had put time and effort into, what would you do if that fishery was being spoiled by otters?

Would you just think there is nothing I can do? or would you do something about it yourself? if it is the latter what would the action that you take be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back