• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braided mainline recommendations please

I am using Daiwa J8 13lb on my feeder reels feels great, casts great and was only 0.1mm diameter. 300mtrs on ebay was £22.

Not as noisy through the rings than other braids I have tried.

For the power pro super 8 slick It’s quite difficult to track any down online - most places are out of stock. ‘Lurecandy’ has some on eBay from Singapore.

Is the aqua green too garish and is the brown colour the one to go for?

cheers

I am using Daiwa J8 13lb on my feeder reels feels great, casts great and was only 0.1mm diameter. 300mtrs on ebay was £22.

Not as noisy through the rings than other braids I have tried.
Have you checked the breaking strain @Eddie Bray .... and are you using a (stretchy) leader with it?

For the power pro super 8 slick It’s quite difficult to track any down online - most places are out of stock. ‘Lurecandy’ has some on eBay from Singapore.

Is the aqua green too garish and is the brown colour the one to go for?

cheers

Yes, I use brown, Simon. There are a couple of links on the first page of the thread. Angling Direct and Ebay.

There are a couple of links on the first page of the thread. Angling Direct and Ebay.
The thread has had some (requested) edits, the posts with the links are no longer there. So here again ......

Angling Direct but more limited availability now

The previously recommended eBay seller Lurecandy from Singapore

Hi Terry, Not checked the breaking strain and usually just use a mono (pre-stretched) hooklink.

Why would the breaking strain be an issue?
Because quoted breaking strains are not always accurate, and I've found this to be particularly true with braid. See my post last Sunday : I found PowerPro Super 8 Slick to be actually 16lb b/s when it was said to be 33lb b/s. Ok my tests weren't done under 'laboratory conditions', but I've devised a very reliable test with highly repeatable results (using Avon scales). All I'm saying really is ... things are not always what they appear to be.

Two figure of eight loops, one each end of test specimen. One to 'hook' on Avons, and one to a nail on a one inch dowel. Dowel is turned to there's at least 4 turns of line on, then pressure is applied. Invariably (with braid), 'point of failure' is between dowel and figure of eight at scales. That is, between knots, not at knot. I repeat 4 or 5 times, and take the lowest figure.

Just something for all.wpuld be Braid Anglers. It's my personal opinion that at the very least a leader must be used. Please bear this in mind please.
One leader knot I have started to use is; if you could imagine tying a fig eight knot. Instead of going round once do it twice. Pull together slowly and you will create the fig 8. Dont over tighten as the fig 8 is where you pass the braid. Pass the braid through the first one with the leader tag end, then back through the last one. Wet the leader and tighten up fully. With enough braid left tie a 5 turn grinner and tighten down. Pull both knots together.
Hope this helps.

Just something for all.wpuld be Braid Anglers. It's my personal opinion that at the very least a leader must be used. Please bear this in mind please.
One leader knot I have started to use is; if you could imagine tying a fig eight knot. Instead of going round once do it twice. Pull together slowly and you will create the fig 8. Dont over tighten as the fig 8 is where you pass the braid. Pass the braid through the first one with the leader tag end, then back through the last one. Wet the leader and tighten up fully. With enough braid left tie a 5 turn grinner and tighten down. Pull both knots together.
Hope this helps.

Funnily enough, I use the same knot to attach fluro leaders to braid for sea fishing. Different application here but same knot!

Fast forward to 2.20 for a clear demo and take note of direction line goes through loops!

Simon.
30lb.
Good question. Always go through swivels etc twice before tying.
I use a tucked blood knot. Must be tucked to negate any potential slippage You will get other recommendations but it has NEVER let me down. I always leave a 1/4 inch tail.

It's landed me 6 pike over 20lb this past year and I use 15lb for my barbel and carp hooklinks.

On no account ever use a short mono hooklink with mainline braid. I would use same as mainline.
My apologies for revisiting an old post but further to the above post, may I ask Graham do you use SS8 V2 (30lb BS) for the mainline and hook link?

Yes Richard.
I get mine from ebay a supplier in Singapore called LureCandy.
Takes about a week to 10 days. I know its genuine stuff and will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
How would it feel like cheese wire to the fish? The fish would only feel the mono hooklength.
yes sorry
your right and of course most people would also use a leader with braid its just knowing from personal experience just how Lethal thin braid can be 😥

on the subject of Braid Power pro original actually casts further than the Slick V2 that shocks a lot of people !!

the biggest advantage with the newer V2 is its superior abrasion resistance

Attachments

• CUT FINGER.JPG
    CUT FINGER.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 84
Saratoga sea strike ! Used it for Pike fishing for yrs ,never let me down ,I now use it in 30lb for Barbel fishing .
8 strand 👍

Back