• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braided mainline recommendations please

Simon Haggis

Hi all

Hope everyone is well.

I’m looking into braided main line for the first time so would really appreciate some advice please.

I need to cast about 70-90/yards across river, hold bottom and need to back lead owing to boats. So I thought a thinner braid could give me less push on the mainline and improve bite detection at that distance too.

I know PowerPro was good but are there any other recommendations please? Are the newer versions of Power pro better?

cheers, Simon

This current thread may help

Super Slik 8 is mentioned in that thread, and elsewhere.

Personally I still use original PowerPro but then you are going to be casting 80yds further than I do :D

Thanks both, looks good stuff to me.

What knots are you using to a swivel with that Graham? Does it slip?

And if I was using 12lb -15lb mono what breaking strain would you suggest for the braid?

very helpful thank you!

Simon.
30lb.
Good question. Always go through swivels etc twice before tying.
I use a tucked blood knot. Must be tucked to negate any potential slippage You will get other recommendations but it has NEVER let me down. I always leave a 1/4 inch tail.

It's landed me 6 pike over 20lb this past year and I use 15lb for my barbel and carp hooklinks.

On no account ever use a short mono hooklink with mainline braid. I would use same as mainline.

Simon.
I bought mine on ebay from a Singapore supplier.

Arrived 6 days and 100pc correct

For some reason I put these replies on the other thread ???

If someone can delete those please.

Re. PowerPro and Spectra .... photo below is of three lines that I use/have used :
A : Spectra Extreme Braid "30lb / 0.26mm" stated ... on my testing was 24lb b/s
B : PowerPro Super 8 Slick "33lb / 0.19mm" stated ... on my testing was ~16lb b/s
C : PowerPro Regular " 20lb/0.15mm" stated ....on my testing was 22lb+ b/s
But make your own mind up about diameters ......

Lines.jpg

Oops. But my reply was left on t'other thread, so I'll move it here

So that's 30lb, 150yds for £21.80 from Singapore

15kg (33lb), 135m ( 147.6 yds) for £14.25 from Angling Direct

What am I missing here?

I always buy the LB one Paul.
Never found a fake. Usually for US market. I have however in the shed a 15kg fake one. Diameter slightly thicker and rougher.

However. I would think AD would have a proper supply.

You may remember Many years ago I imported in total about 300 PP in total from US over about 3 years. Sold on here any elsewhere. Great till too many started selling.

I've just recently bought some daiwa j braid X4 in 5.5lb for LRF and X8 in 20lb for bass, pollock etc.

Really impressed so far, not actually used it but just messing about with leader knots to fluoro and tying to swivels etc. It behaves really well and much thinner dia : bs than the old faithful power pro.

I'd happily use it for barbel fishing in the 30lb range!

I've just recently bought some daiwa j braid X4 in 5.5lb for LRF and X8 in 20lb for bass, pollock etc.

Really impressed so far, not actually used it but just messing about with leader knots to fluoro and tying to swivels etc. It behaves really well and much thinner dia : bs than the old faithful power pro.

Have you actually checked the BS or are you just going by what supplier says? With braid I've found that stated BS is often B-S :eek:

I started with the old power pro, it's good, the PP super 8 is better. I tried out Daiwa j braid x 8, over 3 years ago and now I solely use this. Its thinner, good knotted and long lasting and with better colour than the super 8. I use it in 40lb, I always use a leader, anyone who doesn't imo is just a moment from disaster imo.
Why do I use it? Its thin for its strength, I dont need to ever change up a strength, I do use a weak link for my lead etc, I land fish quick, it's long lasting and for me it does the job.

All I can say Paul is that's what I found. Maybe batches vary but, I now use something that's more than adequate, and less than quarter of the cost (well it's actually only £2 / 100m).

Last edited:

JBraid is ok I think. I have some Savage Adrenaline in 13lb or 0.1mm, casts like a dream and is genuinely very thin. However it’s cracks at much less than 13lb, pulling through snags it’s parted mid length (not the knot) and I know I’d of got the back on 10lb mono... wouldn’t recommend it.
My heavier set up has 55lb Power Pro and when I’ve pulled that from a snag the hooks (size 2 or bigger) bent out.

Another facet to consider is, generally speaking, amongst a class of line (braid/mono/fluro) abrasion resistance will be directly proportional to thickness of the line.

Back