• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid for Barbel fishing.

Anyone have a view on braids breaking strain , i.e. stated BS and actual BS ? I have heard many accounts of its unreliability and tendency to break far below the actual BS, leading anglers to use braid in ridiculously high stated BS to compensate for this .
It's simple really @Mike Hodgkiss, if you buy a braid then check its breaking strain, and (IME) that will be that ...it will be that breaking strain all the way through the spool you've bought. The more expensive braids (e.g. Powerpro etc) tend to usually quote closer to the actual BS, whilst some of the Chinese cheapos can be a fair way off. But although I do use/have used Powerpro Regular and P/P 8 Slick, I also use/have used much cheaper braids (e.g. "Spectra" braids, the name being a generic) and been more than happy with them.
As a reference guide .....

Interesting read , thanks for that Terry . I am afraid the cons far outweigh the pros for me . I simply don't understand why braid manufacturers don't explain the actual/real breaking strain of their product , can't they be bothered ? I note that some of them break at nearly 50% lower than the stated breaking strain , where as others are a lot closer to the stated BS . With mono , according to the chart , the Stated BS isn't usually a million miles way from the actual BS . In my mind that says to me that Braid is unreliable/ unpredictable

I think the confusion with braid often seems to be that some manufacturers quote breaking strain, but others knot strength, which is approx. 50% of breaking strain, as a rule of thumb.

I tend to judge braid by diameter, and given its thin diameter comparative to mono there is no point at all going too light. For pike fishing if I can use braid, I use 36mm ('50lb') Power Pro braid as a replacement for 15lb (0.40mm) mono. I reckon it provides a knot-strength of about 25lb which is completely predictable and reliable.

If I was using it for barbel fishing, I'd probably it in use 0.28mm which has a knot strength of approx. 15lb. This would be a similar diameter to typical 8-10lb mono.

I think the confusion with braid often seems to be that some manufacturers quote breaking strain, but others knot strength, which is approx. 50% of breaking strain, as a rule of thumb.

I tend to judge braid by diameter, and given its thin diameter comparative to mono there is no point at all going too light. For pike fishing if I can use braid, I use 36mm ('50lb') Power Pro braid as a replacement for 15lb (0.40mm) mono. I reckon it provides a knot-strength of about 25lb which is completely predictable and reliable.

If I was using it for barbel fishing, I'd probably it in use 0.28mm which has a knot strength of approx. 15lb. This would be a similar diameter to typical 8-10lb mono.
I think it’s much more complicated than that.

Ive used braid from 5 -150lb for allsorts of things including tieing on baits, lure fishing, carp hooklinks, marker work, fly fishing backing, catfish hooklinks etc etc.

Some are great, some are shockingly bad. A mate bought some 30lb spod braid last year (from a carp brand) it broke at 7lb. I bought some Berkeley braid for perch lure fishing (allegedly 16lb) recently and I can’t break it In normal use.

Ive never used it for barbel fishing and don’t plan to do so. I’ve heard too many stories of unexplained breakages and also unintended fish damage.

I test stuff before I use it and I’m damn glad I do because some braid is junk……..

I think it’s much more complicated than that.

Ive used braid from 5 -150lb for allsorts of things including tieing on baits, lure fishing, carp hooklinks, marker work, fly fishing backing, catfish hooklinks etc etc.

Some are great, some are shockingly bad. A mate bought some 30lb spod braid last year (from a carp brand) it broke at 7lb. I bought some Berkeley braid for perch lure fishing (allegedly 16lb) recently and I can’t break it In normal use.

Ive never used it for barbel fishing and don’t plan to do so. I’ve heard too many stories of unexplained breakages and also unintended fish damage.

I test stuff before I use it and I’m damn glad I do because some braid is junk……..
I've only ever really used Power Pro or Whiplash, my post should have specified that.

Back