• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid advice and which knots to use?

Palomar, so simple.

The original member asked how to attach mono to braid, so how does the Palomar help with that? All the videos I've watched start by saying "..... pass through the eye of the hook (or swivel) ......"

........ there is also the Spider hitch, which is different to the above, and actually easier still to tie.

I just looked at the video Dave, he ties his spider hitch and leaves an eight inch loop, then ties leader with another knot to the end of the loop. Unless I'm missing something why would you ever want to join lines with two different knots and an eight inch loop between?

Last edited:
Spider wire ordered this morning. Crazy how 40lb braid is only 0.21mm! I'll try a couple of knots for joining the line. Not sure which knot this is but makes sense to me and similar to the knots i use for fly fishing. Will try another to. Feedback to follow thanks j

I just looked at the video Dave, he ties his spider hitch and leaves an eight inch loop, then ties leader with another knot to the end of the loop. Unless I'm missing something why would you ever want to join lines with two different knots and an eight inch loop between?

I dont actually use the spider hitch for freshwater fishing Paul, and never said I did , its pureley for salt " work" but is is a very strong knot, and is good for setups where strength is paramount, personally I dont worry about the two seperate knots, plenty of feeder rigs have more than one knot in them and anglers have no issues with them.

Dave

Paul, I thought he was using a swivel between mainline and hook length. If tying direct then a 4 turn water knot is simplest imo.

Agree with Cliff and Derek, Palomar all day long for me too.That is if and when i do go fishing which is like 2 times every 2/3 years.

The original member asked how to attach mono to braid, so how does the Palomar help with that? All the videos I've watched start by saying "..... pass through the eye of the hook (or swivel) ......"

The original member, having said he was new to braid, had maybe not thought of using a swivel instaed of a fancy hard to tie knot. Using a swivel and a palomar, does away with all those other complicated to tie knots, cant see any disadvantage by using a swivel.

Paul, I thought he was using a swivel between mainline and hook length. If tying direct then a 4 turn water knot is simplest imo.
That's exactly what convinced me to never ever knot nylon to braid ever again, double figure Ouse Barbel broke the join as soon as I tightened into it.
There are good knots for joining braid to nylon as seen on this thread but they're for joining nylon way thicker than the braid, usually 30lb+ nylon.
For freshwater situations a swivel or metal ring is really the only sensible solution.
The braid will cut through finer nylon every time.

That's exactly what convinced me to never ever knot nylon to braid ever again, double figure Ouse Barbel broke the join as soon as I tightened into it.
There are good knots for joining braid to nylon as seen on this thread but they're for joining nylon way thicker than the braid, usually 30lb+ nylon.
For freshwater situations a swivel or metal ring is really the only sensible solution.
The braid will cut through finer nylon every time.
I can't really agree with that that. I regularly down scale come summer... not going to tell my usual to avoid scorn etc. I reg drop down to 12lb fluoro.. fc sniper in green during the shallow summer months.
If your not thinking of changing look away now, as this knot works for attaching braking to mono etc.... u will.
It's pic I made up. Do the 2 turn overhand. Up down 8 times. Tighten leader knot. Pull tag end and braid together. 3 x half hitches above leader knot.
20180903_162206.jpg
20180903_162147.jpg

I can't really agree with that that. I regularly down scale come summer... not going to tell my usual to avoid scorn etc. I reg drop down to 12lb fluoro.. fc sniper in green during the shallow summer months.
If your not thinking of changing look away now, as this knot works for attaching braking to mono etc.... u will.
It's pic I made up. Do the 2 turn overhand. Up down 8 times. Tighten leader knot. Pull tag end and braid together. 3 x half hitches above leader knot.View attachment 6137View attachment 6138
That looks wonderful, have you tested exactly how strong it is relative to the fluro breaking strain?
Can't say I'd be happy using it with 0.11mm nylon (3.6lb Reflo powerline) or attempting to tie it on a freezing winter afternoon with the light fading fast and numb fingers.
Didn't know they made green Fluro, is that for sinking into a weed covered bottom?
Incidentally it was using a 4 turn water knot to join braid to nylon that cost me the Ouse double, I'd have no hesitation in using an Albright knot or similar to join braid to nylon but not on the bankside or with nylon less than 0.040mm.

Last edited:
That looks wonderful, have you tested exactly how strong it is relative to the fluro breaking strain?
Can't say I'd be happy using it with 0.11mm nylon (3.6lb Reflo powerline) or attempting to tie it on a freezing winter afternoon with the light fading fast and numb fingers.
Didn't know they made green Fluro, is that for sinking into a weed covered bottom?
Incidentally it was using a 4 turn water knot to join braid to nylon that cost me the Ouse double, I'd have no hesitation in using an Albright knot or similar to join braid to nylon but not on the bankside or with nylon less than 0.040mm.
€@€£

This is a wonderful thread. Just goes to show that there's more than one way to tie things up. No rights or wrongs, necessarily, but perhaps an education to the uninitiated? One never stops learning. :)

Wow loads going on here. Maybe I. should of said but fight think it was key. I'm margin fishing for carp with the new found method. Some call it laying on essentially like strett pegging but on still water. A swivel could work although I need the float to have no weight on it. I want it to be over depth and lay flat on the surface. Next thing is to learn to make home made quill floats ;)

Hello all,
just a thought,can you not fish the braid straight through?
palomar or grinner to the hook.
If you want a hair rig,leave the tag end long,push back through the eye and make an overhand loop,small piece of silicone tubing to hold it tight to the shank
Personally I'd want a stronger(but still through action) rod,depending on size of fish of course

Regs,John

Wow loads going on here. Maybe I. should of said but fight think it was key. I'm margin fishing for carp with the new found method. Some call it laying on essentially like strett pegging but on still water. A swivel could work although I need the float to have no weight on it. I want it to be over depth and lay flat on the surface. Next thing is to learn to make home made quill floats ;)

Jon, you can buy very very small swivels, with no weight at all, and if the swivel is on the deck, ??????

OH for Gods Sake, you've stirred up a hornets nest :D, and now your on to home made floats. :eek::D:eek::p:)

Good on ya fella, its threads like this, that keep the forum going. :);):)

Last edited:
Thanks Derek I think :eek:. I'll leave the home made float bit then for a bit;).
I thought it was fairly simple what knot and braid recommendation. Yeah John using through action rods 2lb barbel

Back