• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid advice and which knots to use?

Jon Kennard

I'm totally new to braid but considering it for my pin for my margin fishing for carp. I fish a small lake that has loads of snags the fish can dive into. I don't seem to be ache to stop the biggest ones either getting in there or the hook pulls. Thinking of using 30lb as more stopping power. I'll match this with an Avon style softer rod. Therefore with attaching mono to the braid which knot is best? Thanks Jon
P.s what would people try to stop the fish?

Stronger rod, one able to turn the fish instead of giving it a chance through a soft action ?

Just a thought, dont like being undergunned myself.

Almost forgot... I use this knot on my beach gear, and also on my LRF setup, its very strong, I have only had the leader snap when using it , never ever the knot....

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave I should of said I'm actually using a 2lb barbel rod so not soft but a through action. The problem I have is my set up is 95% fine it's just when I hook those bigger than average fish. I feel reluctant to go 2 1/4lb etc as won't enjoy the sport as much plus a bit of an over kill.

With all due respect David, I couldn't see myself using that complicated knot, what a "performance" :oops:

Maybe if I fished a beach I'd consider it? but for barbel fishing I've used the double grinner (or often called double uni) to join line (braid to mono), the single grinner (uni) for line to swivel and for coated braid to swivel, for years and have never found the need to look into other knots.

Yes, and old dog and maybe new tricks hard for me ;), but I don't need glasses to tie knots on the bank, nor do I need a headtorch flashing all around. As long as I can thread line through an eye (swivel) then I can tie the knot.

For the knot in that video I'd need glasses, a magnifyer, a halogen lamp, a comfy chair, and a cup of cocoa :D

But as with all things fishing, whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do/use :)

Funny reading thanks guys. The hooks are korda size 12 (can't remember specific model but in turned) bought for barbel fishing actually but crush the micro barb down. I use the good old blood knot on my mono and you do. I'm not so sure it's the hooks more the pressure close in however a good suggestion I might pick some others up. I'll get some braid this weekend. I'll check those knots out later on must get to work. Thanks for the suggestions hope you are in the bank this weekend catch me a whiskered friend

Hi Paul,If you don't already,try putting the eye of the hook/swivel on your tongue and pushing the line through (in the dark),doddle.

It's supposed to be risky to use a blood knot with braid but I've never had a problem with that knot. Grinner and palomar knots are also very reliable

That fg knot it is fine if you have the time, patience, dexterity and eye sight. There's always the Albright which is a good knot. A lately I have used this knot. It's the strongest knot I have found so far. Try at home and tie a few times and pull to destruction, first. It's knot complicated tbh and works

Screenshot_20180824-235418_Chrome.jpg

TBH Paul, it is nothing like as complicated as it looks, I can tie that knot as a leader on a rolling and pitching boat in the North Sea, so standing/sitting on a river bank, its a doddle, there is also the Spider hitch, which is different to the above, and actually easier still to tie.

Being a salt water angler as well, I tend to use much stronger gear at sea, usually Braid mainline to mono leaders, and these knots have worked for me for the past 30 years, I have just transferred them to my Barbel setups where neccessary, although as I dont use Braid for Barbel fishing the connector knots dont get used very much at all.
For Mono the tried and tested Grinner and Blood knots are fine for my purpose.

Dave

I use braid mainline for 95% of my fishing and since a breakage in the early days, an Ouse Barbel, probably a double, I always use a swivel to connect the braid to the invariably mono/ fluro hooklength. Anything from 15lb fluro for Salmon down to 0.11mm nylon for Roach and Dace.
Braid is fantastic stuff and really allows one to bully fish out of snags and otherwise control the fight. The longer the hooklink the more stretch you have is something to bear in mind, I find about 2 feet is long enough but always keep a good bend in the rod.
To give an idea how much pressure you can put on, use your usual rod and reel set up, attatch the line to a 2lb bag of sugar, a 2 lb sea weight or similar and lift it off the ground, you'll be surprised, I guarantee it.
For your margin Carp fishing I'd be using an 8lb nylon hooklink, Drennan series 7 or similar 'normal' nylon. Heavier if necessary.
I'd avoid the Berkely braids especially Fireline, it fluffs up and frays terribly. My favourites are Spiderwire, great on a fixed spool, Rovex Viros NXT is also good. Spiderwire is very thin for its B.S. and you'd need well over 30lb to get a practical diameter.
My favourite for the centerpin, mainly trotting is definitely Fox Jigsilk in 0.13mm, can't remember the B.S. but it's well over 20lb (22.5lb I checked), no fraying, ultra smooth and bright yellow, great for mending the line as it's so visible. It's a flat braid, which explains the seemingly small diameter, so doesn't suffer from bedding in very much even with the whole 130 metres on. It's sold as a sinking spodding line, don't believe a word of it, all braids float like a cork.
Knot wise I use a palomar knot to the swivel. I was told by Don Neish, famous tournament caster and tackle dealer, who'd done research on braid knots, that this gives about 70% knot strength. The same research showed that the grinner knot only gave about 50% knot strength though.
Obviously use whatever knot you favour for the nylon to swivel knot. Small swivel for fine nylon, slightly larger for heavier.
Best of luck with it, it brings a new dimension to your fishing, even Roach and Dace feel a lot livelier and bigger on the braid. It brings a whole new dimension to touch ledgering too. I can feel Barbel in the swim long before any bite indication!

I very happily use a tucked blood knot for my braid to swivel hook link.

As a standard I go through the swivel twice. Due to the Slippyness ? of my braid, Powerpro Superslik 8, the knot MUST be tucked. Prevents strangulation of the Knot and slippage.

It Never lets me down.

It is very important if using mono lengths as hooklinks to braid mainline that its a decent length otherwise you will get crackoffs on vicious takes or under the rod tip under sudden pressure.

Re carp losses. Hook holds under pressure can be very dependent on the lake bottom. Soft bottoms = soft mouths. I have found upward pressure, rather than sidestrain can disorientate the fish, causing direction change.

Tks gents plenty of good idea and experience there. I'm heading out tomorrow with my boys I'll let them take the monsters on! I'll get a solo session next week all being well and try the braid thing out. Best get some ordered up. Good point about the short hook link to powerful fish. If a big water it would be an issue it's the small intimate size and power of the fish that's the issue.
Good wkend all.

Back